Published: October 24th, 2011 at 11:50 am ET

Excerpts from the Oct. 21 joint press release by ZAMG and BOKU [Emphasis Added]:

“A new study by an international team of researchers estimates the emissions of the radioactive noble gas Xenon‐133 and the aerosol‐bound nuclide Caesium‐137 from the Japanese NPP Fukushima Daiichi.”

“The main result of the investigation is that the emissions from the power plant started earlier, lasted longer and are therefore higher than assumed in most studies conducted before.”

“Regarding the radioactive noble gas Xenon‐133, the results indicate an emission of 16700 Peta‐Becquerel (1 Becquerel is one radioactive decay per second, 1 Peta‐Becquerel equals 1015 Bq). This is the largest civilian noble gas release in history, exceeding the Chernobyl noble gas release by a factor of 2.5. There is strong evidence that emissions started already on 11 March 2011 at 6:00 UTC, which is immediately after the big earthquake. Xenon‐133 is neither ingested nor retained in the inhalation process and therefore of less health concern, but it is important for understanding the accident events.”

“Regarding Cesium‐137, which is of high relevance for human health due to its physical properties and the long half‐life time of 30 years, the new estimate shows that emissions started earlier and ended later than assumed in most studies so far. The total release amounts to 36 PBq, which equals 40% of the Chernobyl emissions. About 20% of the caesium was deposited on Japanese territory, while about 80% was deposited in the water.”

“The study was conducted by a team of researchers from the Norwegian Institute for Air Research (NILU) in Kjeller, Norway, the Institute for Meteorology of the University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences (BOKU‐Met) in Vienna, the Austrian Central Institute for Meteorology and Geodynamics (ZAMG) in Vienna, the Institute of Energy Technologies from the Technical University of Catalonia in Barcelona (INTE), Spain, and by the Universities Space Research Association, Columbia, MD, USA.”

SOURCE: 20111021_fukushima_review.pdf

Is anyone else curious why the Xenon-133 release from Fukushima is 250% higher than Chernobyl, yet the Cesium-137 release from Chernobyl is 250% higher than Fukushima?

h/t radioactive.eu.com

Published: October 24th, 2011 at 11:50 am ET

1. Cesium-137 released at Fukushima in first four days could be 50 percent of Chernobyl total: Austria’s ZAMG March 22, 2011
  2. Study: Fukushima released more radioactive xenon than Chernobyl — So large because there were three reactors September 10, 2011
  3. UK gov’t plan based on radiation release from Fukushima being almost double Chernobyl total June 22, 2011
  4. Japan’s nuclear commission reveals Fukushima may have emitted more radioactive material than official Chernobyl totals April 13, 2011
  5. “They lied to us”: Radiation release comparable to Chernobyl — Total core meltdown in all 3 reactors — Worst industrial catastrophe in world history (CNN VIDEO) June 22, 2011

78 comments to New NILU, ZAMG study: Release of radioactive xenon from Fukushima more than double Chernobyl — Largest in history — Started “immediately” after quake

• Bobby1

This is grossly understated, the NISA table of the isotope realeases showed 6 times Chernobyl emission of Xe-133 after 100 hours.

And Xe-133 is not harmless. Aside from its radioactive properties, it decays into stable cesium-133, which causes long QT syndrome. This is a condition where the heart does not become fully electrically recharged after each heartbeat. It leads to heart arrhythmia.

• selfsovereign

Thanks for that one Bobby.All that excess cesium, acting as a potassium mimic can cause a lot of rapid/weak heartbeat in folks.
      Calcium chloride causes the heart pulse/contraction to increase, while the resting time between beats to also increase. A stronger beat with longers rests in between.
      I use bugleweed.http://www.horizonherbs.com/product.asp?specific=1767
      Hawthorn berries are suitable if your not skinny.
      As a side benefit, bugleweed is VERY calming.
      In stressful times its priceless to find ways to reduce your stress load.
      This works for me……..

• alasanon

Yes, Xenon. That’s what is getting into Australia already, not Radon, necessarily.

This situation is getting really creepy.

• lam335 lam335

“About 20% of the caesium was deposited on Japanese territory, while about 80% was deposited in the water.”
    < <<<<<<<

This estimate can’t be correct–if it were, it would mean 0% was deposited in North America, which simply isn’t true.

• Same line jumped out at me, “Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me,” In this case they never fooled me the first time ! Anyone tired of the retoric these people pump out ?

Misinformation is fueling anti-nuclear protests: John Ritch

…What this tells me is that we need to rethink our paradigm, build even further safety assurance, but also get very-very serious about the business of ending the public’s lack of understanding about the essential clean energy technology. We are walking on a tightrope when the world is so dependent upon a vast expansion of this uniquely capable clean energy technology and we have a worldwide public that is striving to death about it. That is not the way to conduct public business.
      We have far too many adults walking around, who don’t have the faintest idea of how to think about radiation, how to think about nuclear power, …

• westcoastgirl westcoastgirl

Yeah, what I feel is, even when the numbers get closer to the truth, they are still downplaying the actual reality of how bad it is. They keep saying it’s ‘worse than previously thought’, yet still saying it wasn’t that bad…

When I saw reactor 3 explode (or the spent fuel pool, whatevert it was), I knew it was bad. it didn’t take a dgree in physics to tell me that.

• Sickputer

+1000. You said it, I thought it. Not surprising to me seeing the American composition of this “illustrious” research collaboration. Don Luckey is smiling in his recliner.

• Heart of the Rose Heart of the Rose

They have all the gall… money can buy…..

• radegan

And leaving out the iodine completely. If you find xenon, you’ll find iodine too but not in this report. And I believe the ratio range between xenon/iodine emissions is fairly well established.

• Daruma

Evidence Massive cesium fallout even reach tokyo area. It went as far as the whole Shizuoka prefecture, west of tokyo, does this really represent only 20% of cesium contamination in japan ? (i had once posted the document you could find of this link but i wonder if anyone already saw it)

• I teach PR (from a critical perspective!) and I have never encountered this level of dis-information outside of the manipulation of public opinion concerning the Cold War.

For me, this means the stakes must be incredible.

Although saving the nuclear industry is key for the disinformation agents, I think the stakes are far greater.

Japan’s economy will not survive (as a global power) and the world’s economies are interdependent.

Furthermore, our food supply in the US and Canada must also be accumulating radiation in an unprecedented fashion.

I bet no one knows for sure how great the contamination will get, but some of the models may be alarming.

This is my interpretation….

• Erin

Very well said, Majia!!! I thought I’d seen disinfo with regard to the drug war/drugs/profitable substances in demand. But this …? Once again, I’m blown away by the change in perspective.

“So the name of the game is to trivialize and deny. Every willing scientist is going to be co-opted.”

Trivialize, deny, obscure, obfuscate, distract, etc., etc. – yes. Almost certainly. But I have to hope that there are enough UNwilling scientists (and scientists in the making) who will more vocally counter the mis/dis-info.

Don’t you feel as though maybe we’re standing on the precipice of the end of the nuclear power industry? I have to hope that those of us who have seen the “man behind the curtain” are simply a little ahead of the rest. I believe we need to make some extra efforts in educating the public about this danger. The more uncomfortable they become, the more willing they will be to listen. And it looks as though people in Japan are already becoming more and more uncomfortable!

• Bobby1

Helen Caldicott is right, nuclear power produces the plutonium needed for nuclear weapons. It’s the nuke weapons which they so desperately want to protect.

Also though, the laboratory resources necessary to test food and screen people for radiation are so minimal in the US that they couldn’t protect the public even if they wanted to (which they don’t).

• arclight arclight

“For me, this means the stakes must be incredible.”

add 200 billion euro in 2008 + all the money invested upto march 11, and 147 of the biggest corporations and their many connected companies, a smattering of pre apocalyptic politics and you have incredible indeed!! this propoganda would be applauded by goering!! unbelivable!!

• Anthony Anthony

You are right I believe.

• Sickputer

+1000 for the second time in this thread to Majia. Well-spoken and exactly my take on the situation. We are headed at blazing speed to events that will probably eventually even break through go the mainstream population.

Massive die-offs of humans will tend to do that regardless of the reassuring Big Brothers with their announcements of the latest government pablum. Keep the faith folks.

• VanneV anne

I suspect that there have been at least 10 meltdowns already: all of Fuku Daiichi and Fuku Daini. There may have been more. And I suspect there may be meltdowns already in the US: what about Ft. Calhoun and North Anna and…..

• Auntie Nuke

Ft. Calhoun barely made it. The berm was dinged by a backhoe operator right after it went up, so the plant wasn’t surrounded, just took water from the front end. Pumps worked and berm was reinflated, so they squeaked through that one.

North Anna is more problematic. Not meltdown, but the danger is in unseen racks in the 8 miles of underground piping, which is difficult if not impossible to completely inspect. These pipes carry radioactive water. If North Anna goes back online, the potential for serious if not catastrophic radiation leakage remains. Both reactors are over 30 years old — would you trust a 30-year old car that had been in a serious accident, to twice what it was designed to withstand? me either.

What a world, what a world…

• Interesting creds Majia, I’ve just finished reading “Excellence in Public Relations and Information Management” ed. by J. Grunig (for a course I’m taking at university).

Methinks TEPCO and J-Gov are practising the press-agentry model with a vengeance – the most dysfunctional, unethical and injurious model there is.

I agree, the stakes must be high for that degree of lying and disinformation to occur. I think it has become a world-wide habit, among most politicians. That is, they’ve been reading Machiavelli instead of Grunig. Open Government is supposed to be a step towards the two-way symmetrical model, but it is mostly lip service right now.

I was also thinking of “America does not torture” and “No radiation will reach the West Coast.” as two glittering examples of linguistic integrity, indicative of more to come.

• Auntie Nuke

Read “Propaganda” by Edward Bernays, “The Father of Public Relations” (a title he gave himself!). Very enlightening about the models used to manipulate public perception.

• Tanuki San

I agree with you that the stakes are too high. It seems like someone has too much to lose by telling the truth. One can only speculate what those reasons are.

• Dr. McCoy

If all the land is contaminated, where do you run?
      If all the water is tainted, what do you drink?
      This is the problem and it is not Japan’s, it is the world’s.
      How does one evacuate the Northern Hemisphere?
      Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide, hence the cover-up?
      I think that the powers that be have realized that they have screwed the pooch so bad, that we can’t handle the truth. We’ve all been nuked.

enenews readers know better.

• Pallas89juno Pallas89juno

Dear Dr. McCoy: Before we work on brainstorming solutions (all problems have solutions, even this one so far, I believe), you get rid of the hierarchy currently prevent ANY oversight, sharing of real information, and implementation of any solutions the public, in its defense, would come up with and would force into being. Time to chop from the top!

• Dr. McCoy

I agree with you Pallas89juno. Knowledge is power and we the people have a right to know.

I hope that you are correct in your feeling that there is a solution to this particular problem. I just don’t see how myself.

Sometimes I envy sheeple living their lives in blissful ignorance…

• StillJill StillJill

YES! Pallas is right–or else it’s like radiation decontamination,…while billowing more isotopes out your rear,….we MUST clean out the top 143 International Corp’s,…and the Govmt’s they support, or support them,…THEN,….we have a chance! Imagine if LOVE and COMPASSION spoke out from the top. Much could be done!

• Anthony Anthony

Exactly Dr. McCoy.

• Pallas89juno Pallas89juno

Dear Tanuki: Nothing against you at all. It’s not rocket science. The status quo covert, non-transparent, pathologically self interested titular leadership stakeholders have GOT TO GO!!!

• arclight arclight

“The entire noble gas inventory of reactor units 1–3 was set free into the atmosphere between 11 and 15 March 2011.”

another way of not saying iodine 131!!

as noted by the criirad warning of april 11th

hmmm??

heres the full report with links,

• Pallas89juno Pallas89juno

This article is usual CIA disinformation (real or plausible information mixed in a cloak of mis-contextualization). Of course, contrary to the article’s assertion that emissions of either Xenon or Cesium-137 have “finished” later–these emissions have not finished at all and might be increasing daily for all we know. The sources are aerosolized (steam) and particulate emissions from cyclic prompt criticalities, burning of nuclear waste and spent fuel pool fires or steam emissions from other sources.

• westcoastguy westcoastguy

They won’t tell us anything because 80-90% of the population would panic and it would cause mass hysteria. That’s just the nature of most people especially in America. There would be a few though that would relax and think of an actual solution to the problem and what they can do to save themselves and possibly their loved ones. This is why I believe they won’t tell us the truth. Too many people would panic and it would be a domino effect. Countries and economies would collapse. But who knows maybe there is another reason why they’re not telling us this is just what I believe

• westcoastguy westcoastguy

80-90% is a bit exaggerated but you get my point

• Pallas89juno Pallas89juno

Dude, we need some mass hysteria. It’s much better than collective irradiation, anthropogenic thermal maximum and mass extinctions without any proportionately meaningful implementation of reality-based models of solutions, long long known. Americans of the U.S., particularly bourgie ones (not accusing, just saying in general), have the greatest antipathy toward rocking the boat. Too bad.

• westcoastguy westcoastguy

I agree with most of what you say but mass hysteria in a situation like this wouldn’t solve anything it would just leave a bunch of dead innocents and people fighting for survival against each other. What we really need is a non-peaceful takeover of our country’s powers. Not these bullshit Occupy Wall Street protests which are a complete waste of time. But this won’t happen. Americans are too caught up in their daily lives and stuck in their little bubbles. I’ve lost hope for my country so I’m only fighting for myself. Doing what I can to help myself and plan for my future

• Auntie Nuke

Here’s the only thing I’ve encountered that might be helpful in the long run: in a book on serious scientific evidence of extraterrestrial life on earth, First Contact: Scientific Breakthroughs in the Hunt for Life Beyond Earth by Marc Kaufman – he talks about a microbe found two miles down in mine shafts in South Africa that eats radiation. Anyone know if there is any way to apply this organism to the problems we’re having?

A non-scientist’s intuitive thought.

• Pallas89juno Pallas89juno

This is an excellent day on the ENE site. Every post I’m reading is showing excellent, revolutionary (nothing to live up to, just impressed with people today here)application of critical thinking skills. Nothing is getting past people today!!! wooohooo! Days like this keep me going.

• fireguyjeff fireguyjeff

Admin:

“1 Peta‐Becquerel equals 1015 Bq” (sic) in this enenews post
    is a typo

The original ZAMG story quotes is properly as

1 Peta‐Becquerel equals 10 (to the 15th) Bq
    The exponent of 15 got dropped down in to the numerical units
    part of the expression.

So just for clarification for everyone here.

Giga = billion
    Tera = 1000 Billion
    Peta = million billion

The voice of Carl Sagan is now in my head!

• ion jean ion jean

See, this is called a calculation error, one of many in the scheme that is Fukushima.

Thanks for clarifying and we all need to babysit this thing like were doing, probably for the rest of our lives, and teach our children how to be Truthers and do the same.

• kx kx

carl sagan would say, “I love my dear nuclear physics colleagues but THE SHIT HAS THE FAN!!!”

• Sky775

I’m not surprised by the xenon/cesium discrepancy. Xenon is a gas, so it releases 100% from any damaged fuel. Most of the cesium is probably in the reactor basements in the water as Cs+ because it’s quite soluble. Chernobyl had a bigger explosion that vaporized a lot of cesium, and they weren’t dousing the core continually with water to dissolve it.

• dharmasyd dharmasyd

Please go to Yahoo News and leave a comment on the tsunami debris headed for Hawaii & California. The word RADIOACTIVE is never mentioned in the article/

I posted a comment pointing out this omission. The uninformed responded to my comment by saying that the meltdowns and explosions were too long after the tsunami to involve radioactivity. I tried to correct them in subsequent replies, but I don’t think they read them.

Please take the opportunity to educate the misinformed by commenting at the linked Yahoo article. Thx!

• ion jean ion jean

Of greatest concern to me is that if this in fact is accurate, then what are we actually receiving at present in Cesiums 134 and 137 here in the U.S. if the San Francisco milk levels are now spiking?

I know there’s a delay in the food chain of fallout of a couple of months, but that doesn’t explain it.

How’s the EPAs test results these days? I gave up on them in mid April.

I’m thinkin’

with our trillion dollar military, we should at the very least expect daily radiation level reports from drone planes circling the island. In the 50s the government drove manned and unmanned planes right through mushroom clouds at every test shot, hoping to find the real “hot spots”

• ion jean ion jean

And here for your viewing pleasure is my movie pick for the night (again)

quite provocative as far as these 50s military atomic propaganda films go

I’m eternally mindboggled by “What The Fuck Were They Thinking???”

My body is comprised of more fission product atoms than the creators of this demon breath, so the way I see it…

I OWN THE ETHICAL AND MORAL HIGH GROUND (so does anyone else exposed at the time in history I was)

WE ARE RADIOACTIVE AND RADIOACTIVITY ITSELF…I embrace that truth and let it imbue me with its special powers and privileges

(I know this is a radical way of thinking, but maybe I’m not the first)

• dharmasyd dharmasyd

Yep. Me too. Born in ’33, grew up in Calif, went to UCB during the Pacific tests, I’ve been exposed to all of it.

And, if we understand, it does give us the special powers to help the evolution out of nuclear insanity.

• ion jean ion jean

help the evolution out of nuclear insanity…i love it…that is the whole point after all , isn’t it, to save our future generations?

• dharmasyd dharmasyd

And other insanities along with it, like the insanities which led to the creation of nuclear weapons, the insanity of being dominant over others, needing to continually find the better weapon to overcome or defeat others.

Taking the power of nuclear energy into our hands signifies the end of violence, of one over another, of one defeating and subduing another.

It is the evolutionary mandate: Our consciousness must evolve to match the awesome techonological powers we have attained. Otherwise, we die, and take many other species with us.

• Sickputer

Nuke puke lackeys write: “new estimate shows that emissions started earlier and ended later. . .”

SP: Excuse me? Ended? And I guess the China Syndrome hyrovolcanic eruption two nights ago was my imagination? Those four hours alone were probably the equivalent of ten Hiroshima bombs noting of course the vast differences in longevity of nuclear plant emissions versus the short-term hazards (if you consider 50 years short term) of a small kiloton atomic bomb.

• arclight arclight

Nice to see andreas helping his nuclear mates out for 50,000 dollars

Proyecto: “Strengthening and Updating Technical Capabilities for the Protection of Health and Safety of Workers Occupationally Exposed to Ionizing Radiation (TSA2) (RLA/9/056)”

Investigador Principal: Jorge Ignacio Vallejo (Ministerio de Minas y Energía)
    Coinvestigadores: Anselmo Puerta
    Javier Morales
    Grupo de Investigación: Física Radiológica
    Entidad que financia: Organismo Internacional de Energía Atómica –OIEA.
    Estado: Año de inicio 2007.

Monto financiado: US$ 50.000

Proyecto: “Polar study using aircraft, remote sensing, surface measurements and models, of climate, chemistry, aerosol, and transport”

Investigador Principal: Andreas Stohl
    Co-investigadores: Alvaro E. Bastidas G., Kathy Law
    Michel Caarler, etc.
    Grupo de Investigación: Norsk institutt for luftforskning

Entidad que financia: Comunidad Económica Europea
    Estado: En desarrollo hasta el año 2009.
    Monto financiado: Pasantía de investigador

this video was put out with the figures much lower than actual (see admission in above report)
    iodine 131 is included…just!! But the levels there were set too low as well!!

Japan’s Nuclear Reactors: Forecast Levels and Path of Radiation (April 27 – May 2, 2011)

• Xe131 is what I 131 decays into…

” I 131 decays with a half-life of 8.02 days with beta and gamma emissions… On decaying, I 131 most often (89% of the time) expends its 971 keV of decay energy by transforming into the stable Xe 131(Xenon) in two steps, with gamma decay following rapidly after beta decay. ”

• pure water

And what if this report being censored a lot? If some one made them stop the animated forecasts, and before this the forecasts were censored, it is due to be done again. Anyway, I believe, among these scientists, are people who try to tell something. And you have done excellent discussion on this! What I may add is my impression the report says “This is censored by an ignorant person. Read between the lines” You were brilliant here, friends! And it is worth digging more.

• Now consider the possibility of perhaps as many as 18 solar superstorms during the next 5 years.

Any one of them can cause critical power grids to collapse FOR YEARS worldwide according to NASA.

Nuclear plants without grid power become meltdown candidates within a month.

See http://www.aesopinstitute.org

There are more than 420 nuclear plants worldwide and numerous other nuclear facilities with stored nuclear waste.

This may prove to be a more serious threat to life on earth than humans have ever experienced.

And much can be done to minimize the impact. See the Aesop site.