Title: Lethal radiation detected inside Fukushima reactor
Date: Wednesday, March 28, 2012 11:13 +0900 (JST)
Tokyo Electric Power Company has detected extremely high levels of radiation inside one of the crippled reactors of the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant. [...]
It says radiation levels increased as the dosimeter was lowered inside the reactor. This suggests the nuclear fuel melted down and collected at the bottom of the vessel.
The utility also learned the water level inside the vessel was only 60 centimeters, compared to the original estimate of about 3 meters.
TEPCO suspects the suppression chamber at the bottom of the vessel may have been destroyed. [...]
Read the report here
Only last week Tepco and the media were saying something quite different: No cracks or strains seen in suppression chamber of No. 2 reactor at Fukushima plant – The Mainichi Daily News
Published: March 28th, 2012 at 5:04 am ET
- NHK: Gov’t experts suggest suppression chamber collapsed at Reactor No. 2 on March 14 — Tepco’s analysis “probably does not reflect what actually happened” July 14, 2012
- NHK: Latest from Reactor No. 3 “may pose a problem” for efforts to remove melted fuel at bottom — No sign of water leakage from suppression chamber (VIDEO) July 13, 2012
- NHK: “The unimaginable was happening” — Workers say part of Reactor 2 containment vessel destroyed — After alarming pressure readings, “we heard a loud bang… pressure is now zero” (VIDEO) August 18, 2012
- NHK: Water level “far lower than previously thought” at Reactor No. 2 — Just two feet deep — Anticipated it was 5 times higher — Decommissioning reactor could be “much more difficult” (PHOTO) March 26, 2012
- Video: Reactor No. 1 containment filled with smoke or steam — “What destroyed the inside like this? Earthquake? Explosion?” September 27, 2012