Boxer wants probe at sickly San Onofre nuke plant
California Sen. Barbara Boxer is pressing federal regulators to open a probe into equipment problems at the shuttered San Onofre nuclear power plant. [...]
A statement says the Democrat wants the NRC to investigate what she calls new information that shows Edison and the company that built the plant’s ailing steam generators were aware of design problems before the equipment was installed. [...]
Southern California Edison was aware of problems with replacement steam generators at the San Onofre nuclear power but chose not to make fixes, U.S. Sen. Barbara Boxer charged Wednesday.
Boxer’s office cited a leaked report from Mitsubishi Heavy Industries — the manufacturer of the steam generators — obtained by her office. It is the first indication from government officials that Edison and Mitsubishi knew the now-shuttered system had problems before it was installed.
Boxer and U.S. Rep. Edward J. Markey (D-Mass.) wrote to Nuclear Regulatory Commission Chairwoman Allison Macfarlane on Wednesday and said the Mitsubishi report “indicates that Southern California Edison (SCE) and MHI were aware of serious problems with the design of San Onofre nuclear power plant’s replacement steam generators before they were installed” and “rejected enhanced safety modifications and avoided triggering a more rigorous license amendment and safety review process.” [...]
“This newly-obtained information concerns us greatly,” Boxer and Markey wrote in the letter.
The report is confidential and Reuters was not able to review it.
See also: Gundersen: I'd be very concerned if I lived around California nuke plant -- "Just an experiment waiting to go wrong" (VIDEO)
Published: February 6th, 2013 at 6:11 pm ET
- Fairewinds Special Edition: They covered up the truth at San Onofre nuke plant — Knowingly put public safety in Southern California at risk (AUDIO) February 8, 2013
- Fairewinds: *Breaking News* Secret bombshell report released — Confirms Edison knew of major problems at San Onofre nuclear plant March 8, 2013
- Problems escalate at California’s San Onofre nuke plant — Second reactor in jeopardy April 12, 2012
- U.S. senator reveals “truly shocking” information about California nuclear plant — “Restart of San Onofre reactors is now off the table” May 28, 2013
- Investment Banking Firm: Fears of significant delay in restart of San Onofre nuclear plant — Stock downgraded to ‘underperform’ February 14, 2013