Published: August 12th, 2011 at 6:53 am ET

Fukushima I Nuke Plant: Krypton-85 and Xenon-131m in Reactor 2 Containment Vessel Air Samples, EX-SKF, August 11, 2011:

Half life of xenon-131m is about 12 days [...]

[W]hat’s with krypton and xenon? I also read a tweet by one of the workers at the plant who said there is still radioactive iodine being released, even though TEPCO’s monitoring says iodine-131 is not detected at the plant any more.

See TEPCO’s August 10 handout here.

Published: August 12th, 2011 at 6:53 am ET

1. Tepco Handout: Xenon detected in Reactor No. 2 containment vessel — 9 hour half-life February 14, 2012
  2. Krypton-85 up over 14,000% in one day at Reactor No. 2 — Kr-85 used to detect “plutonium separations” November 2, 2011
  3. NHK: Tepco told to find ways of measuring temperature at Reactor No. 2 and report by tomorrow — Still claimed no xenon detected February 14, 2012
  4. Japan Gov’t Confirms Detection of Radioactive Xenon in Reactor No. 2 November 2, 2011
  5. Kyoto Nuke Expert: This amount of xenon would not be detected unless melted fuel had “fission chain reaction” — Xe-133, -135 usually not present, even during operation of reactors November 2, 2011

58 comments to Krypton-85 and xenon-131m detected in samples from Reactor No. 2 — Xenon-131m has half life of only 12 days

• Misitu

On the face of it implying that radioactive decay is continuing.

But are these isotopes evidence or not of fission?

• Misitu

Evidence, yes. [quick reference: wikipedia]

–> Number 2 blob still alive and breathing.

• BreadAndButter BreadAndButter

Misitu, hi. Stupid question probably, but does that mean that the nr. 2 blob is not cooled enough & is therefore still “reacting”? Right?
        So if i understand that correctly, it’s still doing what it’s supposed to do under so-called “normal conditions”, but this time it’s doing it uncontrolled and open air.
        Correct?

• radegan

Yessir, step right up and see Fukushima – the World’s First Experiment with an Open Air Reactor Multiplex.

• stock stock@hawaii.rr.com

For sure, certain conclusion.

• Steven Steven

Cooled or not I suspect all three ‘blobs’ will be undergoing fission. Remember two steps to ‘cold shutdown’ (and that’s when the fuel rods are safe inside the RPV) : step 1 – insert control rods (these act as a barrier between the fuel rods and prevent criticality) and step 2 – keep the coolant flowing to dissipate the heat.

As far as I can make out, inserting control rods into the ‘blobs’ isn’t viable, even if they could find them (the ‘blobs’). As for the cooling process, well if a ‘blob’ was the best way to control fission they’d have one in every reactor.

• BreadAndButter BreadAndButter

Can this just stop now???
    Please?
    I just watched the whole NHK special video during an extended lunch break, and I’m done with this day.

• MyCaL DeaN MyCaL DeaN

@ arclight: Thank You so much for at least watching my “Beginnerz Guide” to this disaster, “Michael_Dean” who by the way is the creator/producer/”maker” of these Documentaries truly appreciates the fact that at least someone in the ENENEWS Forum has the guts to “CaLL_OuT” a “NeW_bEE” for making him/her? “TWITCH”…and ‘NO’ I am not sorry for trying to get the message out, about FuK_U Perhaps you are unaware that the vast Majority of the population has no idea as to the extent of the damages @ the plant as the “Aerial Drone” Photos in “My Video” clearly shows…Also,I have yet to see “any” comprehensive reporting regarding Fort Calhoun, yet I was able to scrape up enough ‘Dirt’ to make a 5 min. video…I have followed this site since its inception and have meticulously sorted and weeded my way thru a “Virtual Plethora” of links/redirects that have been so graciously provided by the various commenters to this forum. So in a gesture to give back something, for all that has been provided I created what I feel is a Powerful Message and I hope you understand the Intent of my Desire !!! btw/ I truly enjoy reading your insights and opinions regarding this horrendous event !!! “MuChLoVe” ‘MD’

• MyCaL DeaN MyCaL DeaN

Whoops…Posted in wrong story…Frick’in NeWbEEz

• MyCaL DeaN MyCaL DeaN

@ B&b…So ArE yOu PrOpOrTiNg CaPiTaL cOnTrOl ?

• Pallas89juno Pallas89juno@yahoo.com

Just to remind people, the corium can NOT be prevented from fissioning–having a neutron cascade–by addition of or covering everything with boron or Magnesium sands (certain species of Magnesium escapes me, but see Chernobyl again)because the material that is not on the outside of the corium, it’s skin if you will, is not effected by these materials. Also, boron is very highly corrosive to metals, which presents obvious problems in this setting, which is why I think Magnesium sands are used to quell criticality in a long-term, as possible, way at Chernobyl.

• MyCaL DeaN MyCaL DeaN

Don’t Worry…I’m going to go back to just lurking…as it doesn’t appear my communication skills are acceptable by more than one annointed member…PeAcEoUt…’MD’

• BreadAndButter BreadAndButter

come on….you’ll need a thicker skin here. Stay with us!!

• theypoisonus

Look, MD,

It is hard to read that crap. OK? Maybe it is just me, but I don’t think so.

I’ll go watch your videos , I have no problem with that.. at least I don’t have to READ them !! LOL

Come on, that kind of typing to me is just juvenile and ‘calling attention’ when not necessary. IMHO

You are welcome as anyone to post, anyone is, as long as it is ledgable. That is all I’m asking, O’tay ??

TIA

• alasanon

Don’t worry, MD…Some of these people are on edge, for obvious reasons…(and some of THEM can’t spell, which some of us find irritating ;) )

I think you should be able to post your own way. We are having enough impairment of our individual rights and freedoms as it is.

Thanks for caring about the issues!

• Steven Steven

Hang on guys, I think I know this language….

HeY mD cHeCk YoUr LiTtLe PiNkY fInGeR, i ThInK iT’s ReStInG oN tHe CaPs LoCk.

• nomade

Did you know that Xenon 133 was 40,000 times normal levels over the US on March 16th?

Abstract

We report on the first measurements of short-lived gaseous fission products detected outside of Japan following the Fukushima nuclear releases, which occurred after a 9.0 magnitude earthquake and tsunami on March 11, 2011. The measurements were conducted at the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL), (46°16’47″N, 119°16’53″W) located more than 7000 km from the emission point in Fukushima Japan (37°25’17″N, 141°1’57″E). First detections of (133)Xe were made starting early March 16, only four days following the earthquake. Maximum concentrations of (133)Xe were in excess of 40 Bq/m(3), which is more than ×40,000 the average concentration of this isotope is this part of the United States.

2011. Published by Elsevier Ltd.

Yet the CTBTO assured the public that the levels they had measured at the time with their extraordinarily sensitive monitoring equipment were comparable to “natural background” radiation! Since when is 40,000 times normal the same as normal?

Then, as we all recall, the monitoring got turned off and the the CTBTO refused to give independent scientists access to their data.

Here’s a quote from the official CTBTO site re Fukushima monitoring until mid April:

“By comparison, the levels detected at stations outside Japan up until April 13 have been far below levels that could cause harm to humans and the environment. The levels are comparable to natural background radiation such as cosmic radiation and radiation from the environment on Earth and lower than from manmade sources such as medical applications or nuclear power plants (under normal operations) or isotope production facilities. This demonstrates how extremely sensitive the CTBTO’s monitoring stations are.”

• Pallas89juno Pallas89juno@yahoo.com

Dear Nomade:

I agree with your sentiments beginning “since when…is 40,000x normal…”

This is all the more outrageous since there is zero safe level of radiation and the background levels of contaminating radiologically significant substances are already far higher than they ought be due to all previous stupid human monkey accidents and business-as-usual emissions of man-made and man-released contaminating radiologic compounds.

• Thanks; posted the abstract as an update to an old blog post where I got thoroughly rolled by a cheerleader commenter back about March 16, FWIW. Still doing a slow burn over that treatment. I still don’t think I overreacted to the NILU forecasts then by moving indoors awhile, shopping old food, and bottling water ahead.

• theypoisonus

risabee,

shoot, I wouldn’t let it bother you. As we all have seen, the majority think this is total nonesense. That really bothers me, but if they don’t care, I sure can’t care for them !!

My DH finally said a couple of weeks ago, via telephone ( the only way we talk ) that he ‘gets it’ but came back with “what the hell can I do about it?
      We still have bills to pay and I have to work outdoors and make the money..”

So, as you can see, not even my DH truly ‘sees’ the urgency here. He could wear a face mask , but would “feel like an idiot” out on the pipeline.
      At least he finally gets out of the rain !! It took me a month of Sundays to get him to do that !! LOL

My Mom’s Quote : You can’t FIX STUID !! ;^)

• theypoisonus

While here, I have a question.

I have read and tried to understand to a degree some of the nuclear terms, measurements , etc.

I do no remember seeing Krypton ?? I had to LOL this a.m. early at EX-SKF when I saw it, it made me think of Superman. ( I’m ashamed to say )

Where does Krypton come into the picture of this and how dangerous it this element ?

• arclight arclight

Krypton-85Wikipedia
      “About 5 million curies of the isotope was released into the atmosphere as a result of nuclear weapons tests between 1945 and the end of atmospheric testing in 1962. The 1979 accident at the Three Mile Island nuclear power plant released about 50,000 curies of Kr-85 into the atmosphere[3] and the Chernobyl accident released about 5 million curies.[4] The atmospheric concentration of krypton-85 peaked in around 1970, when it reached around 10 picocuries per metre3. Since then the cessation of atmospheric weapons tests and the reduced production of plutonium has, because of the short half life of the isotope, led to a sharp reduction in the atmospheric concentration, according to the ANL factsheet.”
      From this link! lots of info here!

• arclight arclight

I was wondering about the lack of iodine 131 but xenon 131 is a daughter of iodine and if there is enough silver present it converts to xenon…you don’t think they are dumping silver on the coriniumae?? Nice way to cover up the contamination levels? Hmmmm! Bit out of my league with this one, but maybe someone more techie could enlighten me/us??
        The fate of xenon-131 from iodine-131 absorbed on the silver zeolite samplers
        Wei-Hsung Wang2

“The purpose of this study was to investigate whether xenon-131, the decay daughter of I-131, was retained in or escaped from the silver zeolite cartridge after iodine-131 had been adsorbed in the cartridge. Currently, silver zeolite cartridges are used in the nuclear power industry to adsorb the radioactive iodine gas in sampling lines because of their high retention efficiency for gaseous iodine but not for noble gases. If xenon-131 is desorbed and escapes from the silver zeolite cartridge, the surfaces originally occupied by iodine-131 in the silver zeolite cartridge may be vacant and thus available to adsorb other iodine gas molecules.”

• arclight arclight

repost WTF??????????
          Letter to the Editor: The North Korean Test and the Limits of Nuclear Forensics
          The dominant fissile isotopes in a plutonium or a highly enriched uranium (HEU) bomb are plutonium-239 and uranium-235, respectively. We therefore limit our discussion to them. When they fission, various products are created, including several radioactive noble gases. Among these, Xenon-131m, Xenon-133, Xenon-133m, and Xenon-135 are often detected from underground tests.[2]

Smith mentions the radioactive krypton isotopes, but we are not aware that they have been detected from underground tests, and it would be particularly hard to do so from the small North Korean test. Most krypton isotopes have very short half-lives; Krypton-85 is the only one produced in fission with a half-life of more than five hours. In fact, it has a very long half-life (11 years), but it has another attribute that makes identification difficult: it is released in large quantities when spent fuel is reprocessed.

Since Krypton-85 has such a long half-life and spent fuel reprocessing has taken place in a number of countries, large quantities of this isotope have accumulated in the atmosphere. It would be difficult to pick out the small amount of Krypton-85 leaking from a small underground test from this large background. We therefore disregard the radioactive kryptons in the remainder of this discussion.

Moreover, since the amount of the xenons that is released by an underground test is very uncertain, any clue to the nature of the fissile material would have to come from looking at isotope ratios. These ratios are different for uranium-235 and plutonium-239 fissions. The table below shows the fission-spectrum yields of the xenon isotopes that have been detected after nuclear tests in Nevada. We show separately the amounts that are produced directly and those produced indirectly through the decay of iodine-131, iodine-133, and iodine-135, which have half-lives of eight days, 0.87 days, and 0.27 days, respectively. As the chart illustrates, most xenons are produced indirectly, and the isotope ratios from indirectly produced xenons do not differ greatly between plutonium and HEU weapons.

Xenon Isotope Yields per Fission

If one were able to analyze the resulting mix within the first few hours [after an explosion], when the directly produced xenons dominate, it would be possible to distinguish between the xenon from plutonium and uranium explosion[s]. If the air samples were taken two days after the test, however, as Negroponte’s office said, such determinations would be far more difficult. That’s because xenon isotopes produced indirectly through iodine decay predominate, and the ratios of these indirectly produced xenon isotopes do not differ greatly between plutonium-239 and uranium-235 fission (See January/February 2007 print edition of Arms Control Today for accompanying information graphic ). Also, the dilution resulting from atmospheric mixing would make it far more difficult to measure these ratios exactly.
          “An additional complication is that the parent iodine isotopes of the indirectly produced xenon may not be released from the ground with the directly produced xenons in the same proportions as they are produced. Some iodine might, for example, condense in the ground (the melting and boiling points of iodine are 114[oC] and 184 oC, respectively) or be captured in ground water before the gas from the explosion reaches the atmosphere. This would change the xenon isotope ratios downwind.[3]”
          How deep are the coriums ?????????????

• arclight arclight

What Happens to It in the Body? As a noble gas, krypton does not generally participate in any biological processes. After being taken into the body, a very small amount can be dissolved in the bloodstream and distributed to organs and tissues throughout the body. Nevertheless, the tissue of most concern from exposure to a cloud of krypton-85 gas is generally the skin, with most of the dose resulting from the beta particles associated with its radioactive decay. What Are the Primary Health Effects? The main health concern is the increased likelihood for cancer induction, and the exposure pathway of most concern is external exposure in a cloud of gas. The radiation dose for krypton-85 (the primary isotope of concern) from an external cloud of gas is more than 130 times higher than the dose from any gas in the lungs and more than 200 times higher than that from any gas in body organs and tissues after being taken into the body. For kypton-81, most of the dose is associated with gamma rays that will irradiate all tissues and organs of the body. In contrast, much of the dose for kypton-85 is from beta particles, and the skin is the primary tissue of concern.

• mikey

grp poison- If ital kill superman what do u think it can do to us?

• theypoisonus

how dangerous IS not it.. duh

• Pallas89juno Pallas89juno@yahoo.com

Here’s an article in French about the characteristics of corium: http://fukushima.over-blog.fr/article-le-corium-de-fukushima-1-description-et-donnees-81378535.html. It leads to other articles that are more about corium attributes, dangers and problems.

• Pallas89juno Pallas89juno@yahoo.com

Majia: You can translate the article above at Google Translate by cutting and pasting, which is what I’m doing as I’m not the best translator. I recommend it to learn more about the dangers to your family. You are already fairly well educated; but this may, specific to your earlier question, give you some more reference points to make educated extrapolations about the dangers in the future. Remember that children are at least 20x more vulnerable than we are. Babies are at least 100x (I think that’s quite low, considering the early feedback of rises in infant mortality since 3/11)

• VanneV anne

Pallas, thanks for the link. Here is translation (Google) of the second article:
      Translation by Google:
      Le corium de Fukushima (2) : effets et dangers
      The corium of Fukushima (2): effects and dangers
      “The worst case would be a corium rushing or lock himself in the concrete or soil, which not only provide the best possible shape to maintain its integrity, increase the number of neutrons recovered, but in addition, the mass would de facto inaccessible, which would make it impossible to cool.
      “It is this scenario seems to be happening now in Fukushima at least one of the reactors (No. 1). Hence the idea of building an underground chamber that would limit the spread of radioactivity in the soil. But Tepco, private bloodless, does not seem eager to protect the environment for this project, if it were submitted to the shareholders, would probably not agree because they are too expensive.
      “During the Chernobyl accident, the Soviets did not hesitate to build a concrete slab beneath the reactor to prevent the descent of the corium. Why the Japanese were not the same thing? Perhaps because of the cost, perhaps because of the presence of water, perhaps because it was too late?

“12. Dangers of corium
      The dangers are many and corium will fit unfortunately in life. Hence the lack of communication on the subject … Tepco

“ Explosion-central-Fukushima.jpg The first danger is the formation of hydrogen. We know the danger of the gas that caused explosions in buildings of four first reactors in the early days of the disaster. Thus hydrogen, the most simple and most abundant in the universe, is the gas most feared in the nuclear industry.
      “But the corium, once established, continues to manufacture them. We have seen how: by cracking water by thermolysis and radiolysis, but also when spraying the concrete. Therefore Tepco regularly injects nitrogen into the reactor to mitigate the effects of explosive hydrogen in the presence of oxygen. A new explosion could be catastrophic, because the buildings have already suffered a lot – especially No. 4, whose structure has become unstable – and spent fuel pools are perched over 20 feet high. It would be really a disaster if one of them had to let go.

“The second danger is precisely the ability of the corium to weaken the concrete. In the case where there is melt-through, the corium through it without problems, but its action will have an effect on the strength of foundations: on cooling the fulgurite, there is a phase change which has the distinction of producing a large increase in volume, so the concrete walls in contact, but mechanically dissociated fulgurites, are destroyed by compression effect. We can expect, with the shield cooling lower in the coming months, a massive destruction of elements of the concrete retaining structure, which could have several negative effects: weakening of the reactor buildings and the appearance of faults Additional water where highly radioactive used continuously for cooling could occur in the environment, adding to pollution.

“A third risk has long been discussed in the first weeks of the disaster: the possibility of a steam explosion. The corium, in its descent underground, might encounter a body of water which, under the heat of magma, the immediate processing by steam, with the pressure generated, would cause a huge explosion if water is not in an environment open. It is feared that the Soviets have to Chernobyl to avoid this grave danger, they had emptied the pressure suppression pool before the corium not reach. A Fukushima, one wonders if the same scenario has not happened since April 4, TEPCO began to clear 11,500 tonnes of water. The spokesman of the government, Yukio Edano, announced to the occasion: “We have no choice but to reject the contaminated water into the ocean as a security measure” (8). As for the voice of Tepco, he wept in the news. He was crying because he poured water into the sea slightly radioactive or because he knew that the corium would definitely be lost? In this case, the corium (what engine?) Would have more than three weeks to reach the basement of the plant.

“As for the opportunity to meet a sudden natural body of water, this is unlikely. Indeed, a water table is not an underground lake, but a body of water distributed in the soil between the constituent elements. If the corium through this layer, it will not meet with enough water both to cause an explosion. However this will cause the jets of steam or geysers, which can appear anywhere on the surface, passing through the cracks and interstices of the soil. And this is the fourth danger, that of environmental contamination. Water in contact with the corium, is in charge of uranium, plutonium, cobalt, cesium, etc.. to extremely high levels and is therefore heavily contaminated. If she manages to emerge from the earth, the pollution will spread into the atmosphere as vapors, gases or radioactive aerosols. If the vapor condenses in the ground, it inevitably pollute the soil and radionuclides inevitably join the water table.

“Another great danger, the fifth, the corium is meeting the aquifer in relation to the sea, after all, the reactors are situated only 200 meters from the shore, and the basement of the reactor buildings are clearly below sea level, as reflected in a plan of METI (Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry). So if a corium actually crossed the floor, it has probably been in contact with a geological level in relation to the ocean, because the plant is built on sedimentary rock such as “sandstone” fairly permeable to water because often fractured. However, continuous contamination of the sea for decades could create substantial damage to the entire eastern coast of the archipelago.”

We also also much talk in the forums of a nuclear explosion, a hypothesis that has been repeated in several articles. The term “nuclear explosion” had been used incorrectly in the media explosion of hydrogen. In fact, in a nuclear explosion is not necessarily nuclear. In contrast, a hydrogen explosion in a nuclear power plant rejects the radioactivity in the environment. While there is large questions about the nature of the explosion of Unit 3, do not do amalgam.
      In October 1999, a criticality accident occurred in Japan at Tokai-mura in a phase mixture of components, exceeding the critical mass of enriched uranium had triggered a “beginning of the atomic explosion” (9 ). However, advocates of nuclear power have always argued that nuclear power could not explode like an atomic bomb. There’s right and wrong. A nuclear explosion involves a runaway chain reaction. But this boom could be more or less important. When it is important is that the fuel is very pure and rich. We do not encounter it in a bomb. In a nuclear power plant in normal operation, the fuel may be subject to a boom following a handling error or failure of the cooling system, but it will never give an atomic explosion of the type H-bomb for the environment, rates and the nature of the fuel does not permit. However, this excitement, however small, can lead to a nuclear explosion – the sixth danger – but energy levels comparable to that of conventional explosions, that is to say a million times smaller than an explosion nuclear weapons (10).

In addition, there is still a big unknown is the behavior of different corium caused by the disaster of March 11. They each have different masses and compositions, according to what was originally in each reactor and what they have “eaten” in their path. Modeling the activity of corium of such a large mass was never achieved, and the accident Fukushima becomes an “experience”, except that this experience is and will be in a non-confined at the expense of the Japanese population the primary, but also of the world as it is here to stay for decades. The idea promoted by the nuclear environment to use the feedback from Fukushima to redevelop the existing global nuclear power is an illusion since we do not really know what happened in decades. Hence the need to seek an urgent moratorium on the use of nuclear energy, at least for the older plants, so you do not take the risk of such a catastrophe.

• Pallas89juno Pallas89juno@yahoo.com

The corium contains a large number of elements in fusion, interacting with each other constantly, producing gases and aerosols. It is the toxicity of these emissions is problematic because the particles emitted are extremely thin, invisible to the naked eye, floating in the air, can move with the winds up to go around the earth.

• shaktasna999

Sigh…I was so afraid to check in today. I swear I feeling like flying to Tokyo and doing a bit of pie(shoe, brick) throwing at these “government officials”.

• arclight arclight

i like arclights :)
    “It is used in arc discharge lamps commonly used in the entertainment industry for large HMI film lights as well as High Intensity Discharge lamps for outdoor lighting. The existence of Kr-85 in discharge tube of the lamps can make the lamps easy to ignite.

It is also used to detect leaks in piping.

The sealed spark gap assemblies contained in ignition excitors used in some older turbine/jet engines contain a very small amount of krypton-85 in order to obtain consistent ionization levels and uniform operation. The amount of radiation from the average gap is approximately the same as that of a radium-dialed wrist watch but should be handled carefully.

Krypton-85 was also used in cold cathode voltage regulator electron tubes, such as the type 5651.”

• Fall out man!

Krypton 85 is produced even by nuke plants that are operating normally. I did a quite a thorough search of the web about it a month or so ago. There are scientific papers claiming that Krypton 85 is expected to change the earth’s weather, but in ways that are not understood yet. That’s right, nuclear plants operating normally produce enough of that stuff to alter the weather.

Krypton 85 lowers the conductivity of the earth’s atmosphere. There is a natural electrical potential difference between the earth itself and the atmosphere and lightning lowers that potential as it builds up. It just runs in a constant cycle. But if nuke plants actually lower the conductivity of the atmosphere with Krypton 85, thus making it easier for lightning to strike (so to speak) then that is expected to alter the weather. Unfortunately, no one even claims to begin to know in what way.

Here is one link I found that talks about it

It may be just a fluke, but a few weeks back we had absolutely phenomenal thunder and lightning here. Of course unusual weather events happen all the time , but it did make me think… Did Fukushima play a hand in that?

The ultimate irony is that even as Nuke power is pushed as “super green” because it is the answer to the lie of man made global warming, it is ironically even altering the weather in ways no one dares to predict yet.

Of course all that is of no consequence compared to the terrible and irreversible genetic decay the radiation from Nuke plants cause.

All that said, there is more to Krypton 85 than people realize, and a normal plant operating normally releases enough of it to affect the atmosphere. A simple web search about that and the atmosphere will reveal as much.

• Fall out man!

This site has a bit of info about Krypton 85 and its unknown but believed to be inevitable effects on the weather spread in snippets over a few different papers…

Oh the irony of the nuclear industry permanently changing the weather/climate with Krypton 85 and blaming it on C02 from their competitors…

Krypton-85 pollution and atmospheric electricity

Purchase
    R.G. Harrisona and H.M. ApSimonb
    aDepartment of Meteorology, University of Reading, 2 Earley Gate, Reading, RG6 2AU, U.K.
    bAir Pollution Group, Imperial College, London SW7 2BX, U.K.
    Received 15 March 1993; accepted 8 August 1993. Available online 10 April 2003.
    Abstract
    Krypton-85 is a chemically inert radioactive gas present in the atmosphere, concentrations of which have been greatly increased by nuclear reprocessing and weapons testing since 1945. The long half-life (10.7 yr), allows the gas to mix thoroughly in the atmosphere. Ionization caused by krypton-85 increases the electrical conductivity of atmospheric air. Further increases in krypton-85 emissions seem inevitable. The increase in air conductivity due to release of krypton-85 will vary with height, and be larger over the oceans than over the land. Increases in conductivity will produce uncertain effects on atmospheric phenomena, so changes are compared in magnitude with other factors perturbing the conductivity, such as combustion aerosol burdens, volcanic eruptions and nuclear weapons testing. Conductivity changes are expected to have the greatest significance for meteorological phenomena close to the source.
    Environmental radioactivity; air conductivity

• patb2009

the numbers are BQ/cm3, you need to multiply by a million to scale against the early numbers.

It looks to by 0.23EE6 BQ/CM3, not as crazy as the early numbers, but still plenty hot in Unit 2.

If memory serves, units 1 and 3 are at lethal levels and probably flashing recrit. Unit 2, looks like it managed some form of stability and is currently cooling down.

however the Tepco data is so sparse and their desire is so high to fudge the numbers this could be utter Bilge.