Title: Fukushima disaster panel so far reports three young people have thyroid cancer
Date: Feb 14, 2013
A Fukushima Prefectural Government panel said Wednesday that two people who were 18 or younger when the triple-meltdown crisis started at the Fukushima No. 1 atomic complex in March 2011 have been diagnosed with thyroid cancer, bringing the total cases to three.
Reporting at a meeting on the health impact from the catastrophe, professor Shinichi Suzuki of Fukushima Medical University said it is too early to link the cases to the nuclear disaster, because it took at least four to five years for thyroid cancer to be detected after the Chernobyl meltdown calamity that started in 1986.
The three people have been doing well since undergoing surgery, according to Suzuki.
[...] 38,000 were checked in fiscal 2011, and 10, including the three thyroid cancer cases, are believed to be suffering some form of cancer. The average age of the 10 is around 15, and seven are female. [...]
Suzuki says, “It took at least four to five years for thyroid cancer to be detected after the Chernobyl meltdown.”
United Nations Special Rapporteur on the right to health Anand Grover, who spent 11 days in Japan during November 2012, may not agree:
- “Chernobyl is not a good example, whose study in the first three years was a blackout. So we don’t have data.” (Source)
- “There was a clamp down of information that made it impossible linking them up in the first years after Chernobyl.” (Source)
Published: February 13th, 2013 at 11:07 am ET
- Fukushima child suspected to have thyroid cancer -Kyodo November 17, 2012
- Kyodo: 27 Fukushima minors with confirmed or suspected thyroid cancer — Almost tripled since last report in February June 4, 2013
- Kyodo: Thyroid cancer found in Fukushima child September 11, 2012
- Mainichi publishes report on thyroid cancer: 30% in Fukushima now with tumors of 2cm or less, thyroid gland only 5cm by 3cm total — Claims cancer increases after 10 sievert radiation dose, so Japan ok (10,000 millisieverts) April 27, 2012
- “Thyroid cancer hits Fukushima” — Japan Official: “We need to take a careful look at it” June 5, 2013