Published: December 10th, 2011 at 7:11 am ET

Meiji ignored info on cesium-tainted baby food for 2 weeks – The Mainichi Daily News

• Food maker Meiji Co. received information on three occasions in mid-November about radioactive cesium in its baby food
  • paid no heed to the leads for about two weeks
  • finally looked into the matter when approached by Kyodo News and a citizens’ group earlier this month, Kyodo learned Friday [???]
  • 30.8 becquerels per kilogram [were found] in its Meiji Step milk powder
  • [Meiji] said it had initially concluded that “further investigation was unnecessary” because, of the three occasions, one was an anonymous call and the two others cited Internet information that the company was unable to confirm

Anonymous Caller

• Provided Meiji’s customer service with information on Nov. 14
  • [Told] citizen’s group in Fukushima Prefecture had detected cesium in the milk formula in late October

Two More Contacts

• [Said] they saw information about the suspected contamination on the Internet
  • Customer service [said] that there was no problem with the product as the company conducts monthly checks

“We would like to respond with better sensitivity from now on” -Meiji spokesperson

Published: December 10th, 2011 at 7:11 am ET

1. Bloomberg on Cesium Found in Baby Food: Made near Tokyo, in Saitama — First detected on Dec. 3 — Japan’s largest infant formula supplier recalling 400,000 cans December 6, 2011
  2. “Complete Information Control”: Japan newspapers receive much frightening info that’s covered up — Some evacuees died from acute symptoms yet not reported — Journalists scared August 16, 2012
  3. Study: Radioactive cesium in 25 of 26 food samples from Fukushima prefecture January 3, 2013
  4. ABC Radio: “Who’s to blame for radioactive fish? Tepco denies cesium contamination is from Fukushima” November 19, 2012
  5. Researchers: Cesium-137 from Fukushima “not likely” to concentrate in fish as much as mercury — “Moderate buildup” might occur higher up food chain February 22, 2012

45 comments to Kyodo: Baby food maker ignored info on cesium contamination for weeks — Initially concluded “further investigation was unnecessary”

• selfsovereign

Well well well…………..
    A steam generator that doesn’t use nuclear fuel and functions at 170% efficiency.

Big red moon in the sky this morning, last eclipse until 2014. Go outside in the next hour to see it on the pacific ocean side! :)

Oh yeah, and can we add meiji to ‘THE LIST’ of those whom are guilty of premeditated crimes against humanity and all of creation, please?

• Digilert 100

For any company to sell their souls and put profits over people’s (especially children’s) safety is unforgivable. Boycott ALL Meiji products.

• maaa

OCCUPY BIG NUKE AND BIG OIL!

• Whoopie Whoopie

Bloomberg article critical of the IAEA, and also of its Japanese offcials. I am happy to see such an article at last. http://t.co/EQA11GzV
    4 minutes ago

• Whoopie Whoopie

Paul Langley has a great one up, asking VERY IMPORTANT QUESTIONS
    J Gov : Fuk. Reactors “To be stable by year’s end”
    http://nuclearhistory.wordpress.com/2011/12/10/j-gov-fuk-reactors-to-be-stable-by-years-end/ IT’S A GOOD ONE!

• thelili

It’s all fun and games until some poor parent that has lost a child has to murder somebody to get their point across.

Anybody watching the eclipse?

• oscar419

:\ Whenever something fun happens in the sky I can count on overcast

• alexa

Yup. Especially when people on the West Coast US start dying -there are going to be a lot of getting the point across shootings. if something happes to my son, this will be on my options list if there is not other way to wake other people up to the danger.

• bmurr bmurr

i have two young sons. i also go through my head wondering how i would react to them being hurt by this situation. i cant say i would want to hurt anyone else, just as i dont want myself or my family hurt. have you seen the movie Food inc? watch how the mother who lost her son to e-coli asserts herself. This is a sad story, but it gives us a roll model, violence is not the answer .

• bmurr bmurr

im not having any fun playing this game. i am tired as hell of the feeling i have in my gut every time i serve my family milk. i know exactly where the milk comes from, and the company claims no radiation has been detected in ang milk in any state in the country, this is an absurd claim. mankind has lost touch with everythig real, and has been tricked into living for false motivators such as profit.
      do any of you truely care for your fellow man, and the well being of those around? We villify companies as if tepco, or this milk company as if they were was made up of some aliens. Think about this next time you are at work and you overlook some wrong doing and keep your mouth shut to protect your job or the compnany’s image and reputation. Its pretty easy to sit here and point the finger at others, but i see this attitude every day in the people around me, and dare i say i my self at times.

• Whoopie Whoopie

Dog throwing up yesterday for no god damn reason. 1st thought? Radiation poisoning. No it’s not fun and hasn’t been since 3/11. The news NEVER GETS BETTER it always gets worse. Our Gov is guilty of the same crime Japan is waging. The SILENCE is deafening.

• Sickputer

Both my dogs had same symptoms last week. Wind been blowing fierce and fast from the Northwest for a week. I have unavoidably been outside a lot lately. Really bad sore throat today for myself…fatigued and muscles sore. Thinking today now for my prep list… 20 bottles of aspirin for the kit bag. Survivalist cousin in Southeast US says it’s time to chat on the phone soon. We might be on the cusp…

• jackassrig

Ha don’t knock Big Oil that’s my job :) HAHA

• Cindy

Oil tycoons are bastards ?

I bet you won’t stop driving your car, or using propane for your BBQ …

We are so dependant on oil… we’re screwed… damned if we do , damned if we dont …

• thelili

Bmurr I hate to say this but…you let me know your answer later if it actually happens to your kids.

The day you have to start paying the mortician for viewing and burial services due to someone elses greed you let me know how easy it’s going to be for you to “turn into a role model” and ” avoid violence”.

Just like there are people are passing judgment on Japanese mothers, there WILL come a time when the rest of the world looks at the United States, Europe, and Canada, and says:

Where the hell were you when we needed you?

That day is fast approaching.

After the first Spring rains I want all of the parents to come back on here and tell me how calm and collected they are in the face of their kids illnesses.

• Tanuki San

When I was in Japan, I checked the safety measures taken by baby food companies at www45.atwiki.jp/seizousho/m/pages/194.html and was surprised to learn that none of the major baby food makers was doing their own radiation testing. The most any of them did was to avoid using ingredients from the “affected area” (wherever they thought that was). It didn’t seem like any of the companies cared, or even wanted to know, if there was radiation in their foods. I’m not surprised that Meiji learned of this from an independent test, which is the most surprising thing I learned from this article. The attitude of denial in the food industry was partly why I left Japan. It’s pretty bad when not even a baby food company will take precautions.

• americancommntr

Here is what should happen to this company. If a corporation, it should get charged, tried, and imprisoned under the same laws a person would. If a person can be put in jail, and a corporation is to be treated as if it were a person, the corporation should be jailed. Jailing such should consist of:
    1) Suspending its charter – revoking its authority to conduct anymore business until the term is served, a cease-and-desist order
    2) Seizing of its assets, and selling off enough to pay off all creditors, and restitution.
    3) No probation, no parole until term served.

This is pretty much a death penalty for a corporation. I’d be for going a step further and making sure such a corporation is dead forever. God limited the lifespan of man to limit the level of violence and evil possible on the earth. According to Genesis this was done around the time of the Flood.

Man invented the corporation, and one reason is it circumvents God’s judgement. So, we now have a high level of violence and evil in the world, because corporations don’t often die off, especially the most corrupt ones. If we were smart, we’d limit the life of corporations, but since that would be very hard, it would be good if they could be effectively imprisoned and destroyed that way when they cause serious health damage and/or wrongful death, or homicide, TO BABIES IN THIS CASE.

• aigeezer aigeezer

Hmmn. I find myself (mildly) sympathetic toward the company, and I suspect our views are overly influenced by the horrific notion of feeding babies radioactive food.

However… companies are contacted by eccentrics all the time, and this story is told as though they got an anonymous call, plus claims of having seen something on the Internet.

If anonymous callers had to be taken seriously, then any prankster or competitor could shut down a company by picking up a phone. Similarly, the Net is full of nonsense, along with any good stuff.

For example, a few days ago someone posted at Enenews that the Japanese Prime Minister should be culpable for not heeding the poster’s advice given at the beginning of the crisis. Apparently the poster had urged him, and told us about it, ALL IN UPPER CASE, to evacuate Tokyo at once, and (I’m not making this up) specified that the PM be told that the message was coming from “Jesus Christ” to further emphasize its importance.

So… should the baby food company have sold radioactive food?… of course not. Should it have jumped to action when it got an anonymous call?… um, maybe not.

Remember also that the company was probably assured by all its suppliers, by the government, and by the media, that everything was safe.

There are plenty of villains in the nuke industry saga, but I think this company’s story may turn out to be more tragic than villainous.

• Tanuki San

Meiji is one of the largest, if not the largest, food company in Japan. If any company would have the means to test their ingredients, Meiji would. It would be interesting to hear the side of the story of the person who arranged the testing.

• aigeezer aigeezer

Tanuki San, I agree that the company should have been testing all along. I don’t think a company should be expected to react because an anonymous caller or an Internet poster demands it (which seems to be the theme of the present story).

The difference may seem trivial, but one approach (yours and mine, I think) makes the company responsible as a matter of principle and the other makes the company vulnerable to random inputs. I’d guess that a large food company gets calls every day saying something like “you must shut down your assembly line at once, there are bad things in your product”.

I would love to be able to phone the head of the IAEA and demand that it all be shut down, but I know the next caller would demand that it all be started up again.

• But wait a minute… I am sure these kind, loving folks are just trying to follow Ann Colters advice that she offered on Faux News.

She said that humans need MORE radiation, not less. She said we would all be healthier if we ingested and were exposed to much more radiation, according to a ‘lot of scientists’ research.

Does that mean that babies milk should now be ‘enhanced’ with radioactive radium, uranium, and plutonium? Maybe kids should be drinking Fukushima basement water, along with everyone else?

According to Ann, there is no upper limit of how much radiation is good for your health. She says the more you get the healthier you will be. I wish she would demonstrate this… using herself as a role model.

Personally, I put this in the same category as the Japanese medical doctor who says that we should all just smile a lot more, and that will protect everyone from all negative effects of radiation.

Sheeshhh… with ‘experts’ like this, who needs enemies to come and conquer us? We have all the enemies we need right here in our midst, living among us.

In this brave new world, could it be that upside down is right side up, right is wrong, and science is quackery, while quackery is the new ‘science?

Welcome and enjoy your new health promoting radiation ‘enhanced’ glass of milk. Would you like some radiation ‘enhanced’ cheese with that?

• Digilert 100

I have noticed more than half the comments under this headline have nothing to do with the headline. And the same with every other headline. Why do some of you have to use EVERY headline as your own personal soap box? Can’t you people comment on the actual article for a change? I would really like to see some moderation on this blog. Seriously.

• Cambie

As usefull as the news is here, the uncontroled comment section is why I can never recommend the site to anyone.

• Digilert 100

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you. All the unrelated, random comments and lack of moderation here really destroys the legitimacy of this site.

• Sickputer

We may stray from the thread, but never the fabric of why we are here. As for moderators… Our Admin is aces. If you want control go to Huffington or WSJ. They try to keep the sheep in a line…leading over a cliff. The Internet was designed to exist beyond loss of nodes. The governments would like to control them all. I refuse to love Big Brother. Or believe his propaganda.

• arclight arclight

“the uncontroled comment section is why I can never recommend the site to anyone”

the site comments are what i tell people to check for info and links and updates….with due consideration and double checking…

thats the beauty of enenews for me.. and the posters here never fail to deliver… even when we get 435 hits in a day,,

well done enenews! well done admin!! like the sheep reference sick very OT, do they have sheep in japan?? we had a similar problem in wales and scotland after chernobyl, well in fact all highland places over europe actually! so i say again, do they have sheep in japan?

• aigeezer aigeezer

Responding to Cambie at the risk of posting an off-topic item…

Cambie, you could, um, recommend the site but tell people to make up their own minds about the comment sections.

I ignore the comments sections of most msm sites – I understand the phenomenon that irritates you. People say all sorts of goofy stuff.

However, if you find the news here useful, and if you don’t know of a better source (I don’t) then it would be a shame to deprive yourself of useful news.

What are your options? Seriously.

Now about that baby food thing….

• jimbojamesiv

Cambie,

The best sites, and there are very few of them, permit unfiltered comments.

How do I know?

Because I believe in free speech, and I’m willing to put up with the clutter, irrelevant and even idiotic comments, including yours.

Frankly, I wear it as a badge of honor that you don’t recommend this website to your friends because of “uncontroled” comments. LOFL.

• aigeezer aigeezer

I don’t see what your comment has to do with the headline of this thread. ;-)

Seriously – yes, the off-topic stuff is annoying, but (for me) the gems I find are worth the hassle of searching for them. It’s important to remember also that there exist some “bad guys” who will try to produce your reaction – to drive you away. If you do leave, then they win. I fled the IAEA site in disgust for that very reason, so they got to me over there and I let them win by letting them get to me. Finally, relevance is in the eye of the beholder and most people have no formal training in reasoning.

All of us are on this nuclear ride together though. Please stay around, roll your eyes at the goofy stuff, and keep posting your own quality stuff as an antidote. The stakes are very high.

• stopnp stopnp

The more we educate ourselves about this the more the government becomes unhappy. .Senate bill 1867 if you’re in the USA look this up

• thelili

@aigeezer they might not listen to a random poster demand testing but they might listen to a random poster say that they are going to do a viral twitter bomb to ask all of their friends and family member to not only stop buying their food but to ask other food makers OUTSIDE of Japan to help them-that may(possibly) make them pay attention.

• aigeezer aigeezer

Actually, thelili, I don’t think they would and I don’t think they should (listen to a random poster). Otherwise every mischief-minded teen would use that tactic just to watch the company twitch.

Hehe, but when the viral twitter b-word actually happened, they probably would and should respond.

Put another way, from their perspective any lone voice is a nut-bar nuisance, but thousands of voices require damage control.

• thelili

Digilert 100 honey if you don’t like this site you can start one of your own. We’ll be okay without you. Otherwise accept that this site, like any place with a diverse group of people, is going to have a diverse set of perspectives. There are people from around the world posting here. There are people that use translation software in order to participate.

If you cannot handle that you are better suited elsewhere.

We’d love to have your participation but trust me-we don’t need it.

• thelili

@aigeezer we shall see :) This is not the end of the food situation-it is the beginning.