NHK, Sept. 16, 2013: Workers took water samples from the barriers on Monday to measure the amount of beta-ray emitting radioactive particles. The samples yielded between 3 and 24 becquerels per liter. [...] The utility says it started discharging excess water from the barriers into the ocean at around 12:40 PM on Monday.
Kyodo News, Sept. 16, 2013: The plant operator said it has decided to pump the water into the ocean [...] TEPCO, fearing that heavy rain caused by Typhoon Man-yi could raise the water level and cause flooding, opened the barriers and released the water mainly through drainage ditches.
UPI, Sept. 16, 2013: The area of impact included Fukushima prefecture and its troubled nuclear reactor, where radioactive water was discharged to prevent the complex from flooding, Kyodo News reported.
Arirang News, Sept. 17, 2013: Japanese authorities say more than 1-hundred millimeters [3.94 inches] of rain was measured in some parts of the crippled plant Monday afternoon [...] The deluge that accumulated within the concrete walls surrounding tanks at the plant, combined with contaminated water there, was drained out by authorities. The amount of water, however, was not known. [...] some Japanese media outlets questioned whether the operator measured the level just before leaking the water.
Arirang News, Sept. 16, 2013: Operators are under investigation for taking what they say were preventative measures of pumping accumulating rainwater near leaking tanks into the ocean.
Published: September 16th, 2013 at 6:31 pm ET
- TV: “Barrier is not holding” at Fukushima plant — All efforts have failed to stop very high levels of radioactive materials flowing into ocean — Officials: More water’s coming in than we were pumping out — Workers now trying to prevent overflow (VIDEO) November 19, 2014
- Japan Media: “Things are going badly” — Fukushima “the same as war” says military officer in charge of forces at plant — Concern “workers on-site do not consent to join battle” — Crime skyrocketing, “people were held hostage” — Unprecedented ocean contamination and leaks are out of control September 6, 2013
- Reports: Fears for Fukushima plant as typhoon now only a few hours away — Officials warn of floods at site — Storm gusting over 150 km/hr — Workers frantically pumping up water — Torrential rain to force more contamination into groundwater (MAP) September 15, 2013
- Japan Headline: ‘Radioactive substances may have escaped Fukushima plant earlier’ than was admitted by Tepco, possibly through valves — Contaminated water released into atmosphere from rainfall? September 17, 2013
- Gundersen: They want to dump all Fukushima’s radioactive water in Pacific — Tepco: It will be diluted, then released — Professor suggests pumping it out in deep ocean (VIDEOS) December 2, 2013