Xinhua, Sept. 16, 2013: The Japan Meteorological Agency ( JMA) on Monday has issued emergency warnings on heavy rain in Kyoto, Shiga and Fukui prefectures [...] The special warning was been launched for the first time since the warning system was introduced late August. [...] the JMA issued heavy rain warnings and advisories in parts of Kansai and Tohoku area and entire Kanto area, where the typhoon is expected to pass. Local media reported that about 3 people went missing and about 29 people were injured [...] gusts of up to 162 kph. [...]
AFP, Sept. 16, 2013: Typhoon stokes fears for Japan’s crippled Fukushima nuclear plant [...] officials have issued a “special warning” of heavy rain, amid fears the storm could go on to hit the crippled Fukushima nuclear plant. [...] The agency issued the highest alert for “possibly unprecedented heavy rain” in Kyoto and its adjacent prefectures, warning residents in danger zones to evacuate to shelters. [...] The typhoon is expected to cross the northeast, including the Fukushima area, this afternoon possibly bringing heavy rain to areas near the crippled nuclear power plant. [...] With torrential rains expected on Monday more contaminated water was feared to seep into the groundwater and workers pumped water from around highly radioactive tanks at the plant.
Published: September 15th, 2013 at 11:48 pm ET
- Slow-moving, major typhoon to hit Japan this weekend — Heavy rainfall expected for Fukushima, disaster zone September 2, 2011
- Officials: Typhoon triggers alarm at Fukushima plant — Warning of leakage at Reactor No. 1 turbine building — Leak then detected at Reactor No. 3 — Camera captures images of water pouring in after “very heavy rain” — Powerful storm still packing gusts of up to 180 km/hr off Fukushima coast October 6, 2014
- Gov’t issues ‘inundation warning’ for Fukushima Daiichi as year’s strongest storm to hit within hours — Tepco bracing for overflows — Officials warn of landslides and torrential rains… ‘ground-loosening’ south of plant — Danger from tornadoes, storm surge, violent waves along coast October 13, 2014
- TV: Nuclear waste overflowing into Pacific Ocean at Fukushima — Officials: Impossible to stop the spill anytime soon — Torrential rainfall from approaching typhoon already too much for plant to handle July 16, 2015
- Reports: Fears for Fukushima plant as typhoon now only a few hours away — Officials warn of floods at site — Storm gusting over 150 km/hr — Workers frantically pumping up water — Torrential rain to force more contamination into groundwater (MAP) September 15, 2013