Published: October 21st, 2011 at 5:35 am ET

TOKYO, Oct. 20 — The government has deliberately raised radiation thresholds in order to minimize the economic impact on Fukushima prefecture, said Hiroaki Koide, an assistant professor at Kyoto University’s Research Reactor Institute, according to the Deutsche Presse-Agentur’s Takehiko Kambayashi.

The government could not make the radiation limit any lower than 20 millisieverts per year because if they did most of the prefecture would then have to be evacuated, leading to a “national-level crisis”.

“So they believed that they had no choice but to expose residents to radiation,” said Koide.

Read More: Critics urge Japan to widen nuclear evacuation zone

Published: October 21st, 2011 at 5:35 am ET

1. AP: Radiation levels outside Fukushima “exceeded the annual limit for nuclear workers” — Residents now demanding help May 21, 2013
  2. Testimony: University professor pressured not to release radiation data May 23, 2011
  3. Regrets: Mother finds 20 times higher radioactivity than normal in child’s bedroom — “The national government and TEPCO kept saying it’s alright and I believed them” October 4, 2011
  4. Tokyo Professor: Spiders bio-concentrated radioactive silver at 1,000 times level in soil November 8, 2011
  5. Fukushima Farmer: Plutonium was detected “all over” village 25 miles from plant — Professor: “Something terrible, dreadful happening” — Mayor: Please don’t tell this to the residents (VIDEO) October 12, 2013

58 comments to Kyoto U. Professor: If Japan had set limit below 20 mSv/yr, evacuation would have caused national-level crisis — “They believed that they had no choice but to expose residents to radiation”

• Bekrl Bekrl

Hello enenews

Obviously, the Japanese government knew what the worst case scenario levels would be, changed all of their laws to accommodate for the radiation everywhere and still be able to say that the levels were ‘safe’. They are full of shit.

Hear more and some anti nu hip hop at
    bekrl.org

• Bekrl Bekrl

That’s http://www.bekrl.org
      Made a song to make you all take a break and listen to some sweet beats in a flavor that you’ll enjoy.

• ocifferdave

Hey, Mom in Alaska, I just sent you the link to the page we are on since you gave me the official Alaska gov (non) response to Fukushima recently. Remember to ALWAYS cross EVERY item you eat and drink, every candy, gum, glass of water, etc. Silver lining: we get to cling to a life saving tool of our faith and more often be mindful of the sacrifice He made for us on the Cross. –David O

• Dr. McCoy

Naive post of the day award. Congrats.

• Dr. McCoy

I say we leave the religious BS off this page and stick to science..

• StillJill StillJill

You’ve been overruled my friend.

• ocifferdave

Dr McCoy, I know how this looks. I was inspired by expirements conducted in Russia on how the sign of the Cross cleans contaminated water:

• A physiological symptom of latent primal superstition. The fear of primitive people confronting something unknown to them.

• Dr. McCoy

Religion is the opiate of the ignorant masses.

McCoy out.

• ocifferdave

I have a theory its all Science, or super science…like souls, angels, miracles…all of it created by intelligence using a set of predefined laws and rules. I think the physical world is a mere dim shadow of the unseen world when it comes to physical laws of science. I think creationism is backed by a load of discovered and undiscovered scientific facts, etc.

• Dr. McCoy, See here is the problem with us humans. On a web site like this where we all have a common interest in what is obviously a major environmental disaster, we still have time to argue over religion. I don’t understand why atheists get so flustered every time they hear a quote from the bible or a “God Bless”.

atheism |ˈāθēˌizəm|
            noun
            the theory or belief that God does not exist.

Dr. McCoy and others. I respect your beliefs but please respect mine. If you want to talk science please remember evolution is only a scientific theory. There are many holes in that theory such as never found the missing link. Competing with that theory is the theory of creationism. The science community props up the theory of evolution as it props up the nuclear industry. Science itself is a belief system which displaces religion for some. Therefore Science is a religion for some. I think it is a hollow choice and I don’t understand why someone would choose that but I respect your choice. This is not a forum for religious debate. But we are talking about a major unprecedented nuclear disaster. Prayer and even Bible quotes ( which I am not a fan of ) are understandable and should be tolerated. God Bless

• Dr. McCoy

Worship as you please, just don’t do it everywhere as some of us non-believers need our space.

A cult is a cult is a cult.

• No God Bless for you sir. Live well and be happy. Good Luck

• James Tekton James Tekton

Attention spock/mccoy,

Your star trek conference is calling you.

Please go find your space and opium there.

Lets say, we leave out the BS of two wannabe’s that pretend to be space fantasies and have no real science or spirituality to offer here.

God bless you both and may your ignorance not be the greatest sin that condemns you to a life of unhappiness on earth.

• Incredible as it may seem, these people have no idea they are living on a spaceship.

• ocifferdave

“Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.” -Captain Spock, ST: The Undiscovered Country

• Logical. Flawlessly logical.

• Dr. McCoy

Let’s cut the crap. There is no heaven and there is no hell. There is only this precious little blue green bubble and the here and now and boy have we fucked it up.

Mr. Tekton, you can ridicule all you want, but there is truth and then there is fantasy.

• Misitu

Let me get this right McCoy, “I’m a Doctor, not a Priest”.

?

Only joshing :-)

• kintaman kintaman

And this, my friends, is why I left Japan. I knew from day 1 that this is exactly what they would do. There would be no official evacuation as it was cause a (justifiable) panic and that would cause a domino effect leading to the end of the Japanese economy which, in turn, would lead to the downfall of the global economy.

I must admit that I did not see it to that extent from day 1 but I knew, based on history, that the Japanese government would deceive the public and that they were not to be trusted (hello! Minamata anyone?). Keep in mind that this is not specific to the Japanese government as most other nations would have done the same. Do not expect your government to protect you in the event of a nuclear crisis. Look at North America who has been getting doused in the fallout from Fukushima. The governments there are doing NOTHING about it and telling the people nothing.

This may sound overly dramatic but I feel we are near the end of times as we know it and headed for a much darker future.

• StillJill StillJill

kintaman,…and two or three others here from Japan,….my respect of you is growing ten-fold everyday! I do not know HOW you broke free of your cultural CHOKE HOLD, But the God in me salutes the God in you! You have reclaimed your humanity over nationalism. LOVE, LOVE your hot sauce!

I thank you for restoring my faith in humanity my friends!

• Heart of the Rose Heart of the Rose

@kintaman..You made the bravest and wisest choice of your lifetime.
          May you be an example to others.

• Anthony Anthony

I think kintaman broke *the choke hold* by following their own truth. I think most people here have that trait in common…

What better time to trust yourself than in a nuclear disaster?

• StillJill StillJill

Great point Anthony—’We’ come into the world alone,….and we all go out alone. The difference is,….those with that trait,…get to take their dignity with them.

“Fear not he who can kill the body,…fear He who after killing the body, can kill also the soul.” Fear meaning REVERE. (One of the worst missed translations!)

• Sickputer

+100. You make me wonder why I haven’t gathered my family and left Texas for the Southern Hemisphere…the degree of contamination I guess is the reason for my delay. But if America gets to the current levels of Japanese contamination there probably won’t be any Southern Hemisphere countries accepting immigrants unless they bring something of great value.

• Sickputer

It’s good to see someone in Japan once again challenge the government on the issue of evacuations. Ok, so we know the government is broke. Just admit it and be honest with your own people about the radiation. Let them know the dangers and provide other avenues of international aid for the ones who make an informed decision to stay or evacuate.

Yet in the long run over the next five years the government concerns of money reparations they don’t possess will pale to the health related costs of a country dying from radiation sickness. Hospitals and hospice care facilities will drain the saved postal box savings for most Japanese and the government will fail and a new government will arise from the carnage. Very similar to Chernobyl except this time the radiation poisoning is 100 times worse.

• bmurr bmurr

and when they use this same excuse to justify their radioactive exports, the United States will cover for them. Now your toyota will excellerate into a wall while it irradiates you at the same time .

• Whoopie Whoopie

Could someone check this page at HP. Comments aren’t loading for me and I’m wondering if it’s the same for everyone.

• NoPrevarication NoPrevarication

Quick off-the-cuff translation of the title of this article from Japanese to English:

“The end justifies the means.”

Do they ever even consider just going with honesty?

• StillJill StillJill

No, sadly,…honesty was taken off the table decades ago I’m afraid. They no longer even teach IT much. It’s all ‘relative’. What’s bad for one,…might just be good for the other,…..we can’t judge,….can’t crush their little godness!

• Sickputer

This picture tells a thousand words on the crisis and anger in Greece:

Can you imagine the riots if they had also experienced a nuclear disaster on the magnitude of Japan?

• Dr. McCoy

The doctor says that it’s time to hang the lying bastards by their balls right next to the remains of unit 3.

We could do a web cam pay per view with the proceeds going to the children of Japan. I’d pay to see that.

• nohobear nohobear

The scope of the Fukushima nightmare has me seething with anger. I suppose it’s the stage before acceptance. Allow me to share my secret fantasy of what to do with these lying bastards that have condemned Japan, and a good portion of the world to early painful death.

In the post nuclear apocalyptic world coming, ala Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome, I’d like to see every politician, every Tepco higher up, every lying academic or scientist involved in this coverup, convicted by a people’s tribunal. Based on the severity of their guilt, they could either be used for medical experimentation on the effects of radiation on humans, and possible cures. The most guilty (the CEOs, the prime minister) could be filmed with a webcam being lowered into the reactor buildings ala Survivor, broadcasting for the world to see what 5 sieverts or more does to human flesh. Hopefully it would imprint into human consciousness and collective memory to never again play with nuclear fire.

May these bastards rot in hell.

• StillJill StillJill

“And these things would cease happening among you”.

Very good point nohobear.

• Dr. McCoy

Nohobear, I’m pleased that we are on the same page. You can be the programming chief of our new post apocalyptic torture Tepco network! We’ll start with the lower rung company drones and finish with Kan being force feed a spoonful of corium on the season finale. Deal?

• lam335 lam335

“In mid-April, authorities said they set up the 20-kilometre no-go zone around the plant … where the risk of exposure was estimated to be more than 20 millisieverts per year.
    Koide said that threshold is too high. But, he added, the government could not make it any lower, or most of the prefecture would have to be evacuated, causing a national-level crisis.
    ‘So they believed that they had no choice but to expose residents to radiation,’ he said.”
    < <<<<<<<

The scary reality is that this is true for most, if not all nuclear plant evacuation plans in the US and beyond as well. The most notorious/egregious example is of course Indian POint in New York, but there is an infinite number of other examples. Plant operators know that they cannot possibly evacuate all of the people who ideally ought to be evacuated–so they will just advise many to stay indoors if something occurs. Population density is simply too great in most places for a genuine and appropriately broad evacuation to occur.

If the health of the people they will choose not to evacuate is damaged, the plant operators will just shrug it off as collateral damage–and since they are insulated from most liability, there is little to make them take this problem more seriously. Nukies just dismiss the likely increases in disease/pre-mature death with a trite remark about how there is risk in everything human beings do.

Imagine if the medical field operated this irresponsibly. Why do the nuke people think it is okay when they do so?

• stock stock@hawaii.rr.com

The medical field does to a great extent operate nearly as irresponsibly.

The capture of the medical industry by the drug Cartel is astounding.

Now my health insurance cover ZERO preventative checks, ZERO! Fortunately I figured it out….you tell your doctor about family medical history, make up some symptoms, and then you can get most (but not all) of the tests that you should be getting.

But if you don’t figure this out, you exist until you get some disease entrenched, and then they treat you will drugs.

• Erin

stock wrote, “The capture of the medical industry by the drug Cartel is astounding.”

It’s all about $$$. The differences between drug cartels and the pharmaceutical industry are minimal. Profiteers rule both groups.

Just look at our abysmal neonatal morbidity and mortality statistics. There is no excuse for babies and moms dying just because our obstetricians are largely conditioned to intervene in the natural process, in order to appear to be “doing everything.” When someone dies and they end up in court, their lawyers tell them they need to have evidence to prove that nothing that could have been done went undone.

Sadly, as most midwives know, intervention can be dangerous or even deadly. Unnecessary interventions too often lead to unnecessary tests and treatments, leading to unnecessary procedures, leading to unnecessary damages and deaths.

But all of these interventions make lots and lots of money. In fact, they are so profitable, that when compared to the cost of the legal settlements they have to pay when damage is done — it seems they just always make more money up front than they lose later.

Inotherwords … “Sorry your loved one died, but it simply costs less to pay you off, than it would cost to lose all those profits.” Same everywhere. Or set to music … “Meet the new boss, same as the old boss!”

• StillJill StillJill

Put me down for a Benjamin,…..I’ll bring the organic popcorn too. Yup,….must confess–I’m in the mood to see anyone of ‘them’ hung by the balls! :-)

• The management of Japans radiation crisis is going to be a template for any future disaster that may happen in USA, Canada, Europe or any other place. What does 20 mS/year mean to the average citizen?

• patb2009

What part of national-level crisis did they fail to comprehend?

• stock stock@hawaii.rr.com

I think they did understand, but the size of the crisis, and having no good alternatives, make correct effective action unfeasible. That is the reality for almost all nuke plants, they are a joke that way they have been planned and operated. A sad sad joke.

Even worse, their being hamstrung by no great overall action to take somehow made them shut down their brains and their conscience

• Anthony Anthony

With great risk comes great rewards … and also great failure. Anyone playing with *fire* like this better have a plan for what to do when it all goes to shit. Fukushima & Japan overall IS an enormously daunting failure to resolve.

• They are working hard to avoid an economic crisis at all costs

• Misitu

They are running around like a bunch of scared rats. Alternatively are still hosting “glamour” nights for each other.

Net effect identical in either case.

• pure water

What I am asking myself all the time is to what extend those, who make decisions, realize the gravity of the situation. I am not sure they do. People who rule are not scientific type in most of the cases. But some of them, like Kan, knew, and we know, that they were aware… Do they really believe it is possible to maintain an economy at the cost of human life and health? I do not ask about morality – politics are dirty matter, I am asking about normal mental sanity. And I still can not see it. I see just fear and greed and stupidity, all mixed up.

• StillJill StillJill

I think Angela Merkle (sp) comes to mind purewater. She has a VAST scientific background. We all got to watch her react to ‘the news’. She knew what time it was,…ergo the decisions she made to end nuclear in Germany. She didn’t warn anyone tho-verbally. Non-verbally? She spoke to me.

• jimbojamesiv

But, here’s the point, professor, Fukushima is a national crisis.

And, I wish for once these so-called experts would stop worrying about what they think is important, stop lying, admit they don’t know pretty much anything, and tell the frickin’ truth, which shouldn’t be hard because most know very, very little.

• Toadmac

New video on soil tests for those who are interested? Melbourne Australia. gutter,windscreen,soil and water tank sludge. All pretty low but the decay stays not like the high samples.

• arclight arclight

thanks toadmac….result of the contaminated waste burning??? suppose that might be revolatised cesium 137 etc!! :( that weather system that is pushing the contamination into the southern hemisphere is an annual event and will continue till spring as far as i could work out!!

keep up the good work bro

• arclight arclight

damn nearly proper journalism

“Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda travelled Tuesday to Fukushima city to inspect decontamination efforts. ‘I will make the utmost effort for decontamination,’ he told locals.

The central government is reportedly to spend about 250 billion yen (3.3 billion dollars) on cleaning up radiation-tainted residential areas.

The whole of the Watari district would be among those decontaminated, said Seiji Nagashima, a Fukushima city official. But the city had not decided when the work would start, he said.”

could have underlined the government talking billions for clean up but nothing for the land/sea survey that is required and of course to stop the reactors spewing and to STOP BURNING THE WASTE!!

thats my take on it!!

• Bob Hardin Bob Hardin

This confirms what I have thought all along. The Japanese government knows how bad the problem is and that it is helpless to do anything about it. So they raise “acceptable” levels, etc. This is not stupidity or incompetence. There is nothing government officials can do, and they know it.