Uploaded by: AlJazeeraEnglish
Date: Nov 29, 2011
Description: A new report shows the Fukushima disaster is responsible for the world’s worst nuclear sea contamination.
- It was first thought currents would swiftly dilute the radiation
- Results from fish samples are proving otherwise
- “Some are registering cesium levels of up to 15,000 becquerels”, 30 times the gov’t limit of 500 Bq/kg.
- Fish close to ocean floor are showing even higher concentration level
- This suggests contamination is seeping into the seabed
- Coastal contamination is on seafloor
- The situation is going to continue for a long time
- Unless removed it will climb up food chain
- Even Tuna 900 km out are showing traces of cesium
- Officials have no answers to rid the vast ocean of fallout
Published: November 30th, 2011 at 2:14 pm ET