NOAA at 10:47a ET (Emphasis Added):
Staten Island, NY 2012-Dec-15
At 0240 the NOAA SSC received a call from USCG D1 DRAT saying a barge (Boston 30) carrying 220,000 bbl [9,240,000 gallons] potential #6 heating oil is spilling to the Kill Van Kull at Mariners Harbor, Staten Island. Operators noticed odor and visual oil between hulls of the Boston 30 and another barge (DDL 25) to which oil was being lightered due to unknown damage below the waterline of Boston 30. Mariners Harbor is just west of the Bayonne Bridge on Staten Island across from Shooters Island. Miller Environmental is OSRO on-scene and is deploying containment boom to spill area. At 0750 USCG SECTOR NY called and requested trajectory for a 158,000 gallon release of #6. Air Station Cape Cod will conduct a flyover at 07:13 (sun rise). Oil is reported in the Kill Van Kull and Arthur Kill.
Note the variety of conflicting information in the reports below
The barge was reportedly carrying nearly one million gallons of #6 fuel oil, but it is not known how much of the product was discharged [...] Emergency radio transmissions indicate that 100,000 gallons were released into the Arthur Kill. The spill is now contained, but the barge has not yet off load [...]
A barge reportedly carrying nearly one million gallons of fuel oil was leaking oil from a cargo tank into a New York City harbor on Saturday, officials said.
Coast Guard spokeswoman Jetta Disco said early Saturday that authorities have narrowed down the source of the leak to one tank on the barge. She says that tank’s capacity is 147,000 gallons, but it’s not clear how much has leaked.
Published: December 15th, 2012 at 11:44 am ET
- Oil still leaking from barge with over 600,000 gallons of crude onboard — Experts: Land in Mississippi and Louisiana already contaminated January 29, 2013
- Coast Guard: Incredible damage from NY/NJ oil spill; ‘Grab bag’ of contaminants also suspected — ABC: Acrid stench of petroleum in air (VIDEO) November 5, 2012
- Two oil barges slam into bridge on Mississippi River, both heavily damaged — Coast Guard trying to fix 24-foot gash — Sheen reported miles away — “Still leaking Sunday evening” (VIDEO) January 27, 2013
- New Images of NY Oil Spill — Coast Guard obscuring slick? (PHOTOS) December 15, 2012
- Oil spill at quake-hit Virginia nuke plant — Approximately 150 gallons near Reactor No. 2 turbine building August 26, 2011