ABC Action News, 2:22p ET: Hillsborough Country Fire Rescue battled a two-alarm fire at a metal recycling plant in the Port Sutton area for much of Monday morning and into the afternoon. “It sounded like rapid gunshots going off. Then all of a sudden the flames started shooting up,” said Marcus Tenneson. Smoke from the blaze could be seen as far away as St. Petersburg. [...]
FOX 13 Transcript Excerpt, 12:00p ET: “Well it is still burning. As you can see behind me the smoke is very heavy. In fact they just added in a third ladder to try and put those flames out [...] They’re seeing it’s not getting put out. So that’s why they brought the extra ladder in they have the extra man power. Hopefully They’ll get it under control soon.”
FOX 13 Tampa Bay, 12:02p ET: [...] The black smoke could be seen all over the Bay area – even across in Pinellas County. “Around 3:15 it was like fireworks, like 4th of July fireworks grand finale,” said witness Chris McConnell. As afternoon approaches, the fire was still smoldering and sending smoke into the air. HAZMAT crews were called as well. Officials say there were tanks of anhydrous ammonia and calcium nitrate nearby, as well as a tank of diesel.
WTSP, 2:26p ET: Crews are making progress in the hours-long fight against a massive fire at a recycling plant near Port Sutton Road at the Port of Tampa. [...] The core of the fire is still burning and will be for hours, although firefighters say they do not think it will spread beyond the piles of metal that are burning right now. [...] We just talked with the Florida Department of Health in Hillsborough County. They say there are no health concerns right now with the smoke from this fire.
Published: February 18th, 2013 at 3:29 pm ET
- ALERT: Emergency at US nuclear plant after “massive” fire and multiple explosions — “All of a sudden we heard this loud boom and the whole ground started shaking” — “Intense Flames… Heavy Black Smoke… Chaos” — 100s of fire personnel called in — “We ask that the public stay away from the area” (VIDEOS) March 8, 2016
- Fukushima Daiichi Worker: I saw black smoke that came from Common Spent Fuel Pool’s chimney — I wonder if it was the smoke of boiler… it’s not fire (VIDEOS) January 7, 2013
- Residents worried about radioactive smoke plume if fire reaches radioactive waste: “If it gets to this contamination, it’s over — not just for Los Alamos, but for Santa Fe” June 29, 2011
- TV: Huge explosion at nuclear plant near NYC — 200 foot high fire ball reported — “Huge black ball of smoke… alarms went off immediately… emergency vehicles coming from every direction” — Fire reignited after burning for half hour — Loudspeaker: “This is not a drill, please be aware, this is not a drill” (VIDEO) May 10, 2015
- TV: Alert issued after fire at U.S. nuclear site — “Trigger for fire may have actually happened hours before” (VIDEO) June 25, 2013