Title: No plan in place when leak alarm sounded at Hanford
Source: KING 5
Author: SUSANNAH FRAME
Date: May 11, 2013
[...] Quick action to address a leak in AY-102 was important given the nature of the high-level waste the tank contains, according to Bob Alvarez, a former nuclear policy adviser to President Clinton. Tank AY-102 contains massive amounts of the nuclear by-product Strontium-90 –- more than any other tank at Hanford. Strontium-90 sinks to the bottom of waste tanks and generates heat so hot it boils the material around it.
“It’s been known for over 50 years at Hanford that high heat loads at the bottom of tanks cause them to leak and crack. This is not unknown,” said Alvarez.
The contents of AY-102 will eat through the secondary tank liner -– the final barrier between the toxic sludge and the environment — faster than any other material at the site. [...]
Published: May 12th, 2013 at 9:16 pm ET
- TV: Leaking tank at U.S. nuclear site may be in far worse condition than previously known — Workers shocked by new findings #Hanford June 21, 2013
- TV: “It appears the worst case scenario has happened” at U.S. nuclear site — Most dangerous material on earth “out of control”? — A whopping 800,000 dpm measured outside tank (VIDEO) #Hanford June 22, 2013
- TV: Most hazardous material on planet leaking at U.S. nuclear site — Would contaminate our food chain for hundreds of years to come if it reaches Columbia River (VIDEO) April 29, 2013
- Official: “This stands out from the string of recent bad news” about leaking U.S. nuclear site… “It really does complicate cleanup further” — “No clear plan for responding quickly to leaking nuclear waste” #Hanford June 24, 2013
- Officials discuss danger of ‘deflagration’ at leaking U.S. nuclear site — “In our common words, a ‘Boom’” (VIDEO) March 3, 2013