Published: June 28th, 2012 at 10:05 pm ET

GUNDERSEN ON FUKUSHIMA FISH SALES AND REACTOR’S BUCKLING BUILDING
Five O’Clock Shadow with Robert Knight
June 28, 2012

At ~11:30 in

The federal and even state agencies are not measuring this… I’ve been working on the West Coast and I’ve been trying to get the people of Oregon to demand of their state, the people of Alaska to demand of their state: Check the salmon, it is not difficult, it’s on the order of $500 a fish. Of course you don’t have to test every fish, but let’s test a couple and see. Either alleviate the fear or announce that yes indeed they are radioactive.

Listen to the broadcast here

Published: June 28th, 2012 at 10:05 pm ET

1. NPR Affiliate: Fukushima cesium detected in Alaska salmon sample — Radioactive plume has already reached West Coast — Concerned fishermen forced to pay for tests since officials not doing it — “People don’t trust gov’t… they don’t trust corporations” (AUDIO) January 16, 2014
  2. Gundersen: Radioactive plume to impact West Coast in a year — Not going away after it hits… likely to only get stronger — Fukushima will keep releasing contamination for years to come — Must demand officials test fish and make data public (AUDIO) August 27, 2013
  3. Expert: People on West Coast right to be concerned about Fukushima plume — Things “could get much worse” — Lots of radioactivity flowing into ocean — Gov’t not testing water or fish (AUDIO) December 1, 2013
  4. ‘Unprecedented’: China bans all imports of shellfish from U.S. West Coast — Official: “They’ve never done anything like that that I’ve ever seen” — Includes Washington, Oregon, Alaska and N. California — Gov’t says it will continue indefinitely (AUDIO) December 13, 2013
  5. Newspaper: Unprecedented declines in Alaska king salmon… related to impact from Fukushima? No comment, says NOAA biologist — Record low numbers seen in major fishery on Canada’s west coast, “alarming decrease” December 29, 2013

65 comments to Gundersen: I’ve been working on US West Coast to get testing for radioactivity — Gov’t should either alleviate the fear, or announce the salmon are radioactive (AUDIO)

• Sam Stone Sam Stone

My Mom lives on the coast and I send her info….Might have to go get her….scared for my family……

• Jake E

It’s good that I purchased several cases of pre-fukushima canned Alaska salmon over a year ago, those black cans, 3-packs for $9.99 at Costco. But they are only good till mid 2014 I think.

• I recently ate some canned sardines my sister gave me that were made before expiration dates were required. The cans looked good, no swelling, tasted good and I did not die.

We have such an vast (or maybe just half vast) government costing an incredible amount and they can't even ensure our food is safe. It is almost as bizarre are what we have been seeing from Tepco these last 15 months.

• ocifferdave

Here on the West Coast we have a chain of stores called Grocery Outlet. I bought two types of canned fish from them recently:

Port Clyde's Fish Steaks (hearing) in soybean oil [PRODUCT OF POLAND]
        Crown Prince's Brisling Sardines in soy bean oil [PRODUCT OF SCOTLAND]

Good prices. I bought lots of course.

• TheBigPicture TheBigPicture

The government will have to wake up and get involved. Btw, Gundersen is cooler than Elvis and Clint Eastwood put together.

• entropy

California here. I gave up Fish. Sad.

• dharmasyd dharmasyd

Nuked Fish…Just ate my 2nd to last can of last year's anchovies in a wonderful Caesar Salad a few days ago as I was reading the enenews article about PU in anchovies. I thought: Well, I can change my caesar salad recipe to be made with bacon, instead of anchovies…
      …but I can't help feeling so what, everything is poisoned by human ignorance any way. So–Eat, drink and be merry while we can!

• Sickputer

So it's not cheap, but $500 to test one west coast salmon for radiation. Is it possible somebody in Seattle can obtain a freshly caught fish and get someone Arnie recommends to test it? It is not going to happen from the state or feds. Not this election year. Perhaps after the inauguration.

It's still risky even if some samples prove clean. A clean sample doesn't mean it migrated from Japan. Might be a local salmon.

The corium-tainted runoff in the ocean at Fukushima may be so bad that Unit 4 SFP is small fry compared to the underground water flows. You really can't see much in the water even when it is deadly.

• I do know a salmon fisherman just up the road, (I live on Vancouver Island), but he's not talking to me ever since I told him the salmon were radioactive starting last year.

I'm thinking, the salmon may not have to be freshly-caught. I doubt the supermarkets have a way of removing Cesium-134 and 137 (and Strontium, Uranium, Plutonium, Tellurium, Americium …) from fish, so any of the bigger fish should do.

• ocifferdave

I know what you mean about being ignored by someone that has a lot to do with Pacific fishing. I send articles to the editor of Pacific Fishing magazine (i do his computer repair) and I never get a response from him via email or in person when I'm at his office.

• norbu norbu

For the greater good I will pay 500.00 for the test.

• demo demo

Being vegan is healthier anyway, for person and for planet. I don't miss flesh at all, tho I allow myself a taste occasionally.

• Reading about people eating their last cans of certain foods reminds me of a science fiction horror novel.

Most of the people who have been commenting on this site are pretty darn smart. Smarter than some give themselves credit for.

However, there is something I don't understand. Why is it some here talk about our government agencies like they should do or are going to do something? Like testing for radiation. They are not going to test, they aren't even going to talk about it. Especially PLUTONIUM. (a different more costly test)

It seems obvious and clear that NOTHING is going to be done. We are on our own.

If it is done, the data results will take over a year. Results may be manipulated to meet 'acceptable' levels. Given enough time the 'acceptable' levels themselves will also be increased. There will be no vote. They will just TELL YOU that's how it's going to be. Just like Japan.

There will be no alerts or warnings. It will not be discussed by the politicians. It will not be on the Main Stream Media.

Where do you think we'll all be with this catastrophe in another year? EXACTLY like Japan, except worse. By then, we will be full swing into building multiple new Nuclear Reactors here in the USA.

The propaganda machines will intensify. We will be labeled fear mongering anti-American conspiracy terrorists or something to that effect. "There is no immediate concern", will be repeated!

Sorry Arnie, it's NOT going to change.

• Stacy

I agree with you Chas. We can't stop asking that our government and the relevant agencies to do their jobs but we may as well take safeguards as if they won't. it's very disheartening and yet at least there IS a group of people who are aware of what is really going on. Your comment about the propaganda machine will be interesting to watch. I cringe every time I see people eating sushi or make plans to send their children to Japan for visits, and of course tuna is on sale right now at the grocery store, lol.

• Sharp2197 Sharp2197

The federal governments job is to protect us from enemies, foreign and domestic. But they spend all of their money on a million other things and have forgotten the one primary responsibility.

• StPaulScout StPaulScout

You are refering to the preamble to the Constitution, here it is in it's entirety. You do notice it also says, "Establish justice", "insure domestic tranquility" "promote the general welfare" and "secure the blessings of liberty" IN ADDITION to "provide for common defence". Many right-wingers only quote the "provide for the common defence" like that is ALL the government is supposed to do. Read the ENTIRE Constitution, the Feds are SUPPOSED to be tasked with a bit more than just fielding an army and a navy.

"We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

• Sharp2197 Sharp2197

Unfortunatly they are doing very little of that. Promote the general welfare, they should be informing us of radiation, and take steps to alleviate. But they are covering it up.

• Good point, it's a slow motion horror story but gathering steam.

The Nuclear Energy Institute seem determined to make it even more horrible:

"Nuclear plants are clean, affordable and reliable. Browse this section to learn more about America's largest source of clean-air electricity."

I learned to run for cover whenever I encountered the word 'FREE' on the internet.

I'm now learning to sprint at high speed in the other direction whenever I hear the words 'clean', 'safe' or 'green'.

• milk and cheese milk and cheese

ChasAha, you are quite right. Governments will not do anything until they are forced to. It may not be something that we like. The mass media will treat the protests as a comic event until they are forced to cover it as news. To have this happen, the Japanese protests must be like Occupy–they must last longer than one day. I hope that they do.

• vital1

ChasAha,

DIY food testing Lab.

I agree with you, we can't rely on governments "They are not going to test, they aren't even going to talk about it."

We can't wait for governments, we have to test ourselves.
      Here is a free guide on how to set up a DIY food testing lab. This is the first draft. It has been created for this community. If you find a section you don't understand let me know. This means someone else probably won't. It is a work in progress, but should be enough to get those started who want to set set up a cost effective food testing lab for their home, or community. The next planed update to this guide will be an isotope Kev identification table.

If you have any suggestion to improve the guide please post them in this enenews forum,

• e_saula

Who is gonna help test our own seafood in Africa or are we not part of the human race?

• WindorSolarPlease

Hi e_saula

Seafood should be tested everywhere, that is not going to happen though.

I guess you have to ask yourself with knowing what is in the ocean, do you feel lucky enough to eat it.

I have never been that lucky, so I stopped eating sea food since our gulf disaster.

• WindorSolarPlease

I only have one unopened Pre-Fukushima
    Wooden Box Portlock Wild Smoked Salmon
    used best by Dec 2016

Starting Bid…One Million Dollars.
    This old gal has to retire.

Haha..Just kidding, but I really do have the salmon
    Wouldn't you know it, I don't like salmon.

• ocifferdave

I see your One Million Dollars [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l91ISfcuzDw] and raise you 100 Billion Dollars [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf7uJDhVZIE] for my multiple boxes of canned prefuku tuna, salmon, abalone, oysters, and crab.

Besides! US Dollar, how long can that be worth anything in this debt environment?

• Heart of the Rose Heart of the Rose

What did Gundersen say about the buckling building?

• TheBigPicture TheBigPicture

Sickputer, I think Gundersen is talking about west coast salmon in rivers ..one's born and radiated there.

• charlie3

Who was it who tested the tuna and found the radioactivity?
    Can we ask them if they are going to test the salmon too?
    Can we beg themm to test the salmon?
    Like a lot of us here, I no longer eat seafood, but I don't want to see innocent and uninformed people consuming radiation.

• weeman

Arnie email me and I will pay for one test of salmon

• glowfus

yes, do test more fish, but dont, under any circumstances, post radiation levels in california milk.

• Dr.Nostrum

You might want to check out this article. It is a BUSINESS but they are showing their checks on radioactives.https://www.vitalchoice.com/shop/pc/articlesView.asp?id=1740

• norbu norbu

gave up shrimp years ago. yummy, fish from Scotland.

• milk and cheese milk and cheese

I'm going vegetarian/vegan this summer. But the fallout is in the vegetables too. There's no escaping it.

• e_saula

Lucky you – norbu – at least you have a choice, but imagine if you live in one of the many coastal areas like me and millions other poor and voiceless/uninformed Africans whose main staple diets are natural unprocessed seafood! What do we do when we start to see our beloved shrimps growing as big as Tilapia? By that time, it will be too late to start to worry about what went wrong!

• norbu norbu

my heart goes out to them, with tears I write..

• rockster

The (10-15)tunas where Blue-fin tuna specific, which migrates back and forth to Japan. Not sure of any other species. Orange Roughy (endangered)is from New Zealand, which is not a hot zone right now(?) Mai Mai is from around Hawaii (?) and may not be effected. There is supposedly 'good' farmed salmon from Norway, but I'm not into farmed, and soon GMO fish. Go with Atlantic I would say. Cod, Halibut,Salmon.

Alex Jones and Coast to Coast are the only shows to marginally cover Fuki , not sure if any left wingers have covered this, Amy Goodman?- 10 years ago he was a kook, now hes like 80% in there. Its bad.

• What-About-The-Kids

Hi all, Just checking in here quickly to remind everyone that Washington State is checking salmon for Fuku radiation, at a state-run lab in Shoreline. We had discussed this here on enenews in May.

Here's the link to the report as heard on King 5, a Seattle tv station:

Problem is, the persons testing are connected with the state office of Radiological Protection which is funded mainly by the Nuke Industry…So Arnie and others here who can help pay for such testing need to carefully screen the lab they select to insure lack of bias and censorship of the true data they may find in the testing…

Just my 2 cents. ;-) . Good luck and let us know the results!