Published: April 10th, 2012 at 5:50 am ET

VIDEO: Radiation Levels Detected in SoCal Sea Kelp
Source: KTLA
Author: Carolyn Costello
Date: April 9, 2011

Researchers have detected levels of radiation in local kelp that could create a health concern for Southern California seafood lovers [...]

ANCHOR: The question we all want answered, how dangerous is this to you and me?

Published: April 10th, 2012 at 5:50 am ET

1. AOL: “Just How Dangerous Is Radioactive Kelp?” — Scientists say nuclear waste in kelp beds off California coast is from Fukushima (VIDEO) February 4, 2014
  2. NBC: Head of radiation testing program on West Coast says Fukushima plume could threaten ecosystems — The effect on marine life? “We don’t know, whatever is in the kelp will get in bodies of those animals also” (VIDEO) March 7, 2014
  3. Professor: “Reports of radiation in kelp just north of California” — Signs of Fukushima contamination expected to start “really arriving strongly” this year January 21, 2014
  4. UC Berkeley Nuclear Prof.: My wife’s “very concerned” about Fukushima impact in U.S., my children are also concerned, as is public… I am too — His ‘Kelp Watch’ Co-founder: “We’d all be better off if this material didn’t exist and wasn’t coming over, but… nothing we can do about it” (AUDIO) February 6, 2014
  5. Professor: “Fukushima spillage affects the life of the world ocean”; Must have very careful control of all Pacific seafood without exception — Gov’t Scientist: “It is a huge question” — Biologist: “The public wants to know… People think there’s a conspiracy” February 6, 2014

34 comments to TV: Radiation in kelp could create a health concern for S. California seafood lovers — “The question we all want answered, how dangerous is this to you and me?” (VIDEO)

• Siouxx Siouxx

Sorry but this is just too pathetic. If this is a standard of reporting or rather non-reporting why bother. I also love it when Joe and Josephine public say: "we know this is dangerous but we still do it" or even better "they say this is dangerous but we still do it". Who are the 'they' and who are the 'we'? The trouble is intelligent, thinking people knew from day one where all the radiation was going and stopped eating seaweeds back then. Hey, I just heard the stable door closing…. a year after the horse got out of Dodge.

• many moons

I've watcched reporters working. When the news service sends them out it's with an agenda. They tell reporters to get X information…I wouldn't be surprised if the reportes interviewed many people before these…"I know it's dangerous to swim in radioactive water but isn't a cell phone dangerous too??" devil may care morons.
      That's the attitute they want to promote so that is the attitude they report…may not reflect the majority.

• arclight arclight

if you want to find out about some of the effects visit chernobyl heart and donate

"Sorry but this is just too pathetic"

well said! +100

• kintaman kintaman

I have not eaten seafood since 3.11 of last year. Full Stop. I will never eat anything from the sea again. Do not trust what you are being told about seafood safety.

• HoTaters HoTaters

I, like you, won't touch anything from the Pacific. Am considering the possibility of still eating some Atlantic fish — but who knows if any of that is safe anymore, either? It hasn't been reassuring to read old reactor waste (from Germany) and nuclear subs have been scuttled offshore from Portugal and elsewhere. Yeesh!

Have a bit of South American langostino left, but it's about gone. Sigh. I used to love seafood. And sushi and sashimi. Now I cringe when I see people eating it.

• jec jec

Equals Radiation in Washington State in 1986 following Chernobyl! So when is the pubic to know about this? Has anyone LOOKED at the increases in both THYROID CANCER and PANCREATIC CANCER in some areas like the Skagit Valley? There is a relationship if someone wants to ASK the citizens there. No survey done, but a NEW major cancer center has been established in that area. Sounds like Fukushima's medical plans..

• This may bring a needed awakening distrust to the ones sworn to protect us !

• bigfatscaryman sdyogini

uh….WHAT?!!!! I was coughing up blood within 2 weeks of FUCKU and lumps in my throat (thyroid) ever since, these people are ridiculous. They might just as well keep pllaying in the water and eating spicy tuna….

• CaptD CaptD

Another SD related story here: http://is.gd/bVJsWy
    With Many comments…

• lam335 lam335

The reporter fails to consider why are they still detecting IODINE? Which isotope of iodine is it? Any I-131 from 3/11 should have decayed away by the middle of last summer, so either it is a more long-lived isotope of iodine, or it is a product of more recent emissions (or perhaps some other radionuclide has decayed into it?). She also doesn't consider the possibility that, if they are finding iodine, there could be other radionuclides that they did not test for.

PS–somebody needs to explain to the lady who made the cell phone comment that cell phones don't get inside your body. Any exposure stops as soon as you put it down or turn it off. The Fuku pollution can and does get inside of you and stay there. (and cell phones don't give off "ionizing" radiation anyway; they just heat tissue–unless they are made in Japan, in which case they could presumably be contaminated with Fuku cesium, etc., too)

• Many reporters do not have knowledge of these things, are mearly reading a script handed to them, or as here stick a Mic under the nose of un-informed people and call it and education to viewers ans gospel !

• fireguyjeff fireguyjeff

@Iam335:
      I have some insight on this "reporter" problem.
      I spent my college years around a lot of journalism majors, as that is what then girlfriend was majoring in.

In the 1980s (and prior) there were 2 primary goals within a typical college journalism cirriculum/program.

One was for the student to acquire a "well rounded" education. Which translated in to knowing not much about a lot of topics i.e. not acquiring any expertise in any one subject, i.e. no cutting edge.
      The idea was to be able to "interview", aka ask questions, regardless of topic, and then distill the answers down to a simple format to be regurgitated to the public.

The second was to learn how to write so that the average 8th grader could understand the content. The latter concept is not my interpretation…it was a very literal goal.

Hence, news stories were written in such a way as to not get too detailed while feigning to seem impartial.

The latter scenario devolved over the decades such that now, there is no perceived (corporate) need for any academic credentials for one to be a "talking head".

It would be hard to find a better example than

The real essence of it all starts at 1:22

Needless to say, the SoCal reporter has little to no idea just what radioactivity is, and likely never will.
      She is simply there as a means to get eyeballs on advertisements.

• HoTaters HoTaters

Yeah, it's always easy to air inteviews with ignorant people to help downplay the risks ….

See, Joe Average Citizen thinks cell phone radiation is harmless and just like radiation from a nuclear accident, and so should you!

I say bring back the Duh, Dunce Cap Awards. There are too many potential contestants for the Darwin Awards for the DA to have meaning any more!

• TheBigPicture TheBigPicture

It's only a matter of time until everyone stops eating seafood.

• or-well

Some will stop
      as they become informed,
      some won't -
      until it's all gone,
      then we'll have
      dehydrated jellyfish slime
      and eurasian milfoil
      pickled in brine.
      The Sea as desert
      stripped even of krill,
      millions starve
      cause we fished it to nil –
      if we don't stop them,
      you can bet they will.
      There's a big picture
      to give you a shudder.
      We'd better keep
      certain hands off the rudder.

TheBigPicture, I am not criticising your statement.
      I fear your statement could become reality for a
      number of reasons. Radioacive contamination is one more severe threat to marine-based life. What a mess we've made.

• many moons

This reporting is total propaganda!
    The reports will break of the radiation so the news is already throwing a lot of down play/confusion/this is like chernobyl (that was really nothing) disinformation at the the situation. I can image that a first impression of the "problem" being down played is important to these disinformation institutions.

• StillJill StillJill

Yes many moons,….'crafted confidence',….smooze'em with an aire
    of, "it's O.K.,,,,,,see, we are smiling, happy, and SPENDING"!

• many moons

Exactly StillJill, "my son swims up and down the coast…or we have also been warned about cell phones and we aren't buying that either (snicker), or here we are on the beach, having fun, and we are OK so…it must be a myth…the wind can't really blow ALL the way across the ocean..it's just too far! I'm sure it stops somewhere in the middle…at least to take a rest…" taken from the little book of nuclear fairy tales…now for some real news..did you see dancing with the stars last night????

• StillJill StillJill

@many moons–Gee, I missed 'dancing with stars' again! Darn!
    Was busy soaking in baking soda, eating clay, filling spirulina capsules, coffee enemas (did I say that?),…..a little preoccupied with,…Oh I don't know,….SURVIVING! Dealing with the world as IT REALLY IS????? Silly me,……think of all the stress-induced mental illness I'm causing myself without thinking happy, 'Dancing Star' thoughts???? Sheesh,….what's wrong with me????

• RutherfordsGhost

Americans are Retarded.

• Cdog

Oppenheimer, the father of the bomb knew that 1/2 a microgram of plutonium, (one millionth of a gram) would cause fatality. We've known for 70 years the effects of radiation on humans for 60+ years and yet the reporter insists over and over, we don't. Welcome to the new USSR, I mean USA were all media must first be approved.

• RutherfordsGhost

The worlds media is for lack of a better word – a part of the Conspiracy – which is to keep the population ignorant.
      Yes, there are fatal doses of Pu falling out of the sky over the USA for the last year.