WWL – AM870, July 21, 2013: Parish workers discovered water and debris moving inside the containment berm area early Friday. Bubbles on the water’s surface indicated a gas release, and there were tremors felt in the area. [...] The periodic ‘burp’ was the second in two days and the fourth in the past two-and-a-half weeks, according to parish officials. [...] The [blue ribbon] commission, thus far, has not been able to come up with a reasonable prediction of what the future holds for the area.
The Advocate, July 20, 2013: The 24-acre Assumption Parish sinkhole underwent a periodic burp early Friday [...] on Friday, Conservation Commissioner James Welsh ordered Texas Brine Co. to cease a type of earth-probing test aimed at seeing where gas is in the shallow rock under Bayou Corne. [...] In addition to the sinkhole, gas is being released from bubbling sites in area bayous and is thought to be gathered in an aquifer and even in shallower rock under the communities. Welsh’s order follows Boudreaux’s cease and desist order to Texas Brine earlier this week after residents complained about a plugged probe site leaking gas in front of homes [...] he tested the hole and found leaking gas at a concentration that was approaching an explosive level.
Published: July 21st, 2013 at 3:13 pm ET
- Officials: Gas being found under homes near giant Louisiana sinkhole — 100% of lower explosive limit — Hydrogen sulfide also detected June 14, 2013
- Video: Giant sinkhole’s volume tripled since October — Now over 15 acres — Total settlement area almost 40 acres May 2, 2013
- Today’s Paper: Giant sinkhole now 9 acres — Official concerned about possible ‘void spaces’ causing hole to grow or another one to appear January 19, 2013
- Louisiana sinkhole grows to 8 acres — Witness: “Ridiculous” amount of oil outside hole — 80,000 gallons of removed from surface (VIDEO) November 17, 2012
- Sinkhole expands to 4 acres — 5,000 square feet of land lost since Tuesday (VIDEO) September 22, 2012