M5 quake hits Fukushima — Intensity 4 of 7 on Japan scale (MAP)

Published: November 2nd, 2012 at 8:49 pm ET

Published: November 2nd, 2012 at 8:49 pm ET

1. Quake hits just off Fukushima plant, felt along 500 kilometer stretch of Japan coast — Seismic intensity of 4 on scale up to 7 — Camera shakes for about 1 minute (VIDEO) April 13, 2014
  2. AP: Strong M6 quake hits Northeast Japan — Rated Upper 5 intensity on scale up to 7 — Tepco says no reports of problems at Fukushima Daiichi (MAP) August 4, 2013
  3. Strong M6 quake hits near Fukushima nuclear plant — Intensity 5+ on JMA scale — Officials: “No reports of damage so far” May 18, 2013
  4. UPI: Quake rocks northeast Japan — Intensity 5- out of 7 on seismic scale — Mainichi: M5.4 quake jolts eastern Japan — Near Fukushima border, buildings rocked in Tokyo (MAP) December 30, 2013
  5. Strong quake shakes Northeastern Japan: Intensity rated at 5- on scale of 7 — Felt along entire coastline — Fukushima webcam footage (VIDEO & MAP) October 25, 2012

24 comments to M5 quake hits Fukushima — Intensity 4 of 7 on Japan scale (MAP)

• WindorSolarPlease

Did it shake those Skeleton Nuclear Radiated Bones?

• WindorSolarPlease

Talking about what's left of those plants, not people.

• Hi WindsorSolarplease

It looked really hot today at the plant.

I posted a couple screen shots from both cams on my blog because the distortion was so great.

I don't know whether that was before or after the earthquake…

• WindorSolarPlease

Hi majia

Thank you, like your blog. I agree it doesn't look good there, and that's not good for any of us.

• voltscommissar

Distortion through a long lens on sunny days can happen on warm, cool or cold days too. If the sun is shining on dark bitumen or a ploughed field, the hot(ter) ground heats a layer of air down low. In calm conditions or in a light breeze, the warm air rises and mixes with much cooler air above it. It's the "coarse" turbulent mixing of warmer/cooler air that causes chaotic refraction of light, thus spoiling our sharp steady view through the TEP-cam lens. But you're right that these distortions are most commonly seen on hot sunny summer days. HTH ;-)

Ref: http://www.jma.go.jp/en/amedas/ –which has orange dots along Fuku coast at 1400hrs local time yesterday (orange=15-20degCelsius)

• GlowInTheDark GlowInTheDark

Nobody (the ones that I follow but they are nuke watchers) is making noise about this earthquake in Japan. Is it too early in the morning? It's about 11 am on Saturday so they are up. I am feeling the temperature difference. Have they become immune to it? lol

• Chelsea Chelsea

I am not the person making these claims and I have not seen any proof of it yet, but the rumor mill (on Facebook) has already begun that reactor 4 collapsed. :-/

• WindorSolarPlease

Would not surprise me Chelsea. I hope it's not true.

• richard richard

i was watching several people walking around on the roof of 4, just about an hour ago, similar to what i've seen on days before.

it didn't seem to be an out of the ordinary survey team or some such.

• Chelsea Chelsea

I saw them on the cam, too, so I think it is just a rumor.

• guezilla

Most of the time, they're rumors or hoaxes. Many people here argue they would just show re-runs, ie. replay same loop over and over, but I really doubt that would happen in case of a major development.

They could not hide a collapsed building forever, in fact no longer than the radiation takes to reach monitors (they'd be water-spraying as long as possible and it would be quite gradual rise I think, although uncovered irradiated fuel will give out quite lethal dose at close range), and it would be visible all over the place.

On the other hand the video feeds make a reservation for being shutdown for "maintenance or 'other' problems", so I think taking the feeds down would be quite possible.

So if the feeds are up and showing business as normal, and the radiation is "new normal", you can be quite sure it's a hoax/rumor.

• Johnny Blade Johnny Blade

I have also noted that rad levels tend to rise following EQ's in the vicinity.It probably also rises when the heavy equipment causes vibrations,etc. during normal faily operations there.(if anything about Fuku can be called "normal"?!) But it's pissing me off when I keep hearing about the collapse of SFP4 every time someone farts nearby!! I am inclined to believe WE WILL KNOW when #4 does go down for all the reasons others comments made reference to in this thread already. I'm ALWAYS "edgy" and have suffered the psychological effects of living "on the edge"-not knowing if or WHEN the impact(s) of the disaster and/or deterioration of Fuku status beyond that which would still allow any measure of "hands on" activities designed to maintain the stricken NPP as "stable"(?) as is possible while we all wait for the P'sOS to do "the right thing"(I won't hold my breath TEPGOV!)(or NRC,IAEA,WHO,DOE,DOD,etc.,etc.,etc.!)

**NOTE** TO TEPCO;"YOU WOULD HAVE MORE PUBLIC CONFIDENCE IN "MOST" INSTANCES IF YOU STOPPED PLACING "DOLLARS" AHEAD OF "SENSE"~"COMMON-SENSE",that is!!" WAKE UP!!~ you money-grubbing morons!! ALL of your actions to obfuscate "transparency" have provided the very fuel of distrust of ANYTHING coming from the side of your mouths in between the flickering of your forked-tongues!! p.s.,in closing, I'd like for those who troll around sites like ENE to instigate & discredit OUR "experts" to go to the little,black "speck" of a soul to…

• Johnny Blade Johnny Blade

cont'd;~reassess what you are REALLY doing to ALL of humanity,including yourself and those your small hearts have found room to care about??!! SOMEBODY STEP THE F__K UP AND DO THE "RIGHT THING"!! BLOW THE MF'ing LID OFF TEPGOV'S LYING,HARMFUL S.O.P. AND HELP US WAKE "SLEEPING LEMMINGS" SO THEY MAY JOIN THE "GOOD FIGHT" AND SHUT THE DOOR ON NUKE TECHNOLOGY FOREVER!! GOOD LUCK TO THOSE UNFORTUNATE ENUFF TO BE NEAR THE RELEASE EVENT SITE IN JAPAN,AS WELL AS THOSE BEING POISONED MORE OR LESS(rapidly)AROUND THE GLOBE!! IF #4 WENT DOWN~PLEASE "DO" TELL!! i'D LIKE TO KNOW WHEN MY DAYS ARE DOWN TO A "known"NUMBER??!! HOPE THIS POST HELPED OR MADE SOMEONE UNCOMFORTABLE VIA THEIR ANNOTING CONSCIENCE(S)-(LONG LYING DORMANT IN THE CASE OF THOSE IN THE INDUSTRY COMPLICIT IN THE "COVER-UP" IN PLACE SOLELY FOR THE BENEFIT OF A POS INDUSTRY7!!)TELL US WHAT'S UP?~WE CAN HANDLE THE TRUTH-IT'S THE LIES THAT UNDERMINE CONFIDENCE IN ABILITIES TO SAFELY OPERATE THOSE RUSTY POS NPP's KILLING US OFF AS I TYPE….. :(

• weeman

Guarantee radiation levels rise at plant, shake rattle and spike in radiation, anybody watching let us know.

• Where's Thunderbird 2 when you need it. Those puppets would have had it propped up and covered and stopped the meltdowns….then captured Tepco bosses and brought them to justice.
    Pacific Eclipse in 10 days, Solomons to Chile..

• Sol Man

Another vast problem, besides the one of #4 toppling into a heap, is the coriums being below the water line and the radioactive vapor that will forever be issuing from them as the water can't be stopped from flowing toward those low points. I haven't come up with a solution to this.

• TepcoSievert TepcoSievert

Hello everyone. I rarely check the Tepco cam these days, yet I do it after an earthquake is reported. The problem is, I find it doesn't show much apart from cranes and tops of "tents" and buildings that look compressed together because of the camera's long focal. We don't see the ground level, so we cannot determine if any walls are tilting. Can anyone remind me what the official reason was for changing the place of the camera last spring?

• TheBigPicture TheBigPicture

Hundreds of reactors in the world, and no antidote for a meltdown. Unbelievably lacking, to say the least.

• kalidances

@Cindy it's a total lack of remorse. Akio Yamamoto took 400 grand while lying and watching people die.

• MarroJJ MarroJJ

Just one nuclear accident can ruin your whole day ;-)