Published: December 7th, 2012 at 9:29 am ET

Title: Tsunami warning lifted for strong Japan earthquake
Source: Associated Press
Date: December 7, 2012

[...] The earthquake had a preliminary magnitude of 7.3 and struck in the Pacific Ocean off the coast of Miyagi prefecture at 5:18 p.m. (0818 GMT), the Japan Meteorological Agency said. [...]

After the quake, authorities issued a warning that a tsunami potentially as high as 2 meters (2.2 yards) could hit. Sirens whooped along the coast as people ran for higher ground. [...]

Public television broadcaster NHK reported that five people were injured, including a 75-year-old woman in Miyagi who fell while fleeing the tsunami. Police said they could not immediately confirm those reports.

Shortly before the earthquake struck, NHK broke off regular programming to warn that a strong quake was due to hit. Afterward, the announcer repeatedly urged all near the coast to flee to higher ground. [...]

Watch webcam video of the shaking at Fukushima Daiichi here

Published: December 7th, 2012 at 9:29 am ET

1. ABC: Major magnitude 7.2 quake strikes off northern Japan April 19, 2013
  2. CNN Breaking News: Strong M6.8 quake off Fukushima — Tsunami warning issued — Gov’t: “Marine threat is in place… Get out of the water and leave the coast immediately” — Footage shows nuclear plant shaking for over a minute (VIDEO) July 11, 2014
  3. AP: Strong M6 quake hits Northeast Japan — Rated Upper 5 intensity on scale up to 7 — Tepco says no reports of problems at Fukushima Daiichi (MAP) August 4, 2013
  4. Intense M5.5 quake hits Fukushima — Aftershocks follow in exact location minutes later (MAPS) November 8, 2012
  5. NBC News: ‘Devastating’ quake strikes near nuclear plant (VIDEO) April 9, 2013

68 comments to M7.3 earthquake strikes Northeast Japan — Japan TV warned of strong quake minutes before it hit — Several M5 and M6 follow (VIDEO)

• AntiNuke159

Now let’s see if the spent fuel pool cracked and is now losing water. Then let’s see if the uncontrolled fire starts in that pool and the whole plant is abandoned along with other spent fuel pools. Then other spent fuel pools catch on fire because there is nobody there to maintain them. Then let’s see if massive contamination starts, much worse than 3-11-11. Then let’s see how many months those fires will burn because it’s impossible to put them out. And then we’ll see how many people will abandon the contaminated northern hemisphere. The Mayans may have been right, but how the heck did they know that the world is going to become contaminated and we will only be able to give birth to retarded babies because of it? Which basically mean the end of it for the human race. Am I overthinking this?

• dodge

Hopefully the damage is limited, and aftershocks from this quake will not do more damage. At best case it illustrates the increased danger with the delay in removal and proper disposal of the spent fuel in the damaged plants. It will take real commitment – workers health will be sacrificed to protect the lives of others. But even more important is that this quake illustrates the importance of addressing the spent fuel storage pools all around the world. after decades of ignoring this problem (solutions to difficult and expensive) we now know that while the industry has never been able to afford to take care of their waste – failing to do so as a world community puts all our lives in danger. Prayers and well wishes with the people of Japan – they have suffered enough, hope major damage reports don't start coming in.

• lam335 lam335

One (hopeful) possibility: if the 7.3 struck out in the ocean (as this article says), the quake might have been less than a 7-level by the time it reached the Fuku-Daiichi plant. Does anyone know how far away it struck, and how far away it would need to be to spare Fuku-D the full impact of a 7-level event?

• NoNukes NoNukes

[Column] Significant similarity between M7.3 of 12/7/2012 and M7.3 of 3/9/2011

At 17:18 of 12/7/2012, M7.3 hit “Off the coast of Sanriku” and aftershock keeps occurring.

This seismic situation is significantly similar to 3/9/2011, 2 days before 311.

At 11:45:12 of 3/9/2011, M7.3 hit the same location with series of aftershock to follow.

• lam335 lam335

Thanks for this link.

Perhaps the most important part of this article is the last two lines:

"… need to be cautious for the following few days. If I were in Japan, I would move to somewhere west where you can easily access an international airport during this weekend."

• lam335 lam335

Actually, Fukushima Diary now posts this headline:

"Japan meteorological agency warns potential M8.0 to hit east coast of Japanese island."

"… Having the M7.3 of 12/7/2012, Mr. Nagai from Meteorological agency warned bigger earthquake of M8.0 class is expected.

The M7.3 was one of the aftershocks of 311, which was outerrise type of the earthquake. M8.0 class of the earthquake was expected but the last one was smaller.
      There is a possibility that a bigger outerrise type one occurs at North or South of this epicenter…."

• Arizonan Arizonan

Bad news, but lets wait for more info/facts before we move south. They did have a fire in sfp4 in March 2011 and they did put it out. Still, I would expect any rainfall in the next few days to have higher levels of radioactivity.

• many moons

The facts aren't coming. We still have a very sketchy notion of the facts from the first EQ/Tsunami-meltdown…that was nearly 2 years ago.

Use common sense…don't wait for lies.

I wonder how the other reactors at other plants have made it through the EQ.

• HoTaters

The "good news" is the 7.3 occurred at a good distance from Fukushima — to the northeast, and well offshore. Let's hope that distance, and the depth of any more EQ's which might occur there, will mitigate the effects of ground shaking onshore at Fukushima. There are other nuke plants along Japan's northern coastline, so the effects of a strong EQ on them should be considered, too.

Onagawa near Sendai comes to mind.

• dosdos dosdos

This quake hit on the same fault line as the 3/11 quake, about 160 miles south, which means closer to Fukushima.

Maybe this is a good reminder during the election campaign that the economy doesn't mean squat if Japan is left uninhabitable in the process.

• lam335 lam335

Kyodo: Japan gov’t thinks they can restart nuclear reactors in a few months (Dec. 7)

Planet Earth: Think again .. (Dec. 7)

• BreadAndButter BreadAndButter

On the Fukushima coast, the shaking was a 4 on the Japanese scale, so nothing tooo worrisome:

• jump-ball jump-ball

With 24 Honshu quakes over the last 8 hours, SFP 4 may suffer (structural) death by a thousand cuts rather than collapse from "the big one":

• moonshellblue moonshellblue

the graph shows quite a jump in radiation posted on Fukushima Diary under live comments Nucklechen.

• NoNukes NoNukes

nuckelchen's post of M 7.3 FUKUSHIMA 2012-12-07 17:19 JST
    Published onDec 7, 2012bynuckelchenblogde

realtime record

• kalidances

West Coast people your bug out bags should be packed. Try to stagger out travel times so that you are all not crowding the freeways. Stay calm. Remember to map out the gas stations. Try to get as far inland as possible. Start telling family members now in case signals get jammed later.

• I'm livid enough to come back in here & try to post a "post" that is on topic, as what do I do for my family now?

Heck, I've got a new fridge & stand up freezer coming in today so that I can work on "bringing in more comfort food" into the home, to help elevate all the stress that daily living dishes out never mind having to deal with mental illness that affects everyone around them.

I'm so pissed right now because Japan up until this point is still talking about using nuclear energy as their means to amass great wealth for themselves as they proceed to infect my family with their ongoing onslaught of radiated poison to either make them more crazier for those already suffering from mental health issues, or to simply kill us off via early death.

Do I run outside & wash up my 3 50 gallon barrel drums to fill them up with water that hasn't been contaminated from this recent crisis? Or, do I go for the plastic & grey tape & start planning to cover all the windows in the house while crowding everyone into the basement? Can't leave, no where to go while son says hunker down if it comes down to that??

JAPAN, this is the BULLSHYT YOUR COUNTRY PERPETRATES! DYSFUNCTION, MISERY, ANXIETY, FEAR & a EARLY DEATH OF MILLIONS?

NEXT TIME YOU BOW DOWN KICK YOURSELVES IN THE AZZ!

First it was 1, then it will be 2 in a row!

• Pierpont

Here is a link to Nicholls' Japanese EQ counter — an excellent visual. It's been down much of the morning.

17 EQ's over 4.5 in the last 28 hours. The place is absolutely lighting up when you watch it on this app.

I have been trying to watch the TEPCO cam all morning. It looks very quiet — almost like its a still shot.

• amberlight amberlight

Anyone know if the CERN experiment to find the elusive Higgs Boson particle is actually slated to take place from Dec 17 – Dec 21?

CERN doesn't exactly pinpoint the dates and events:

Considering the ongoing crises in Japan and in the New Madrid fault zone, it strikes this simple-minded layperson as being both suicidal & homicidal to conduct an experiment that could possibly trigger an apocalyptic event. And I don't care how much lab time these geniuses have under their belts, they are displaying immense stupidity and/or hubris to think they can control the effects of such a risky venture. This entails more than the satisfying of scientific curiosity or "nothing ventured, nothing gained." The future of all life on this planet is at stake!

Following WW2, Bertrand Russell described the aftermath of a nuclear war as "…universal death—sudden only for a fortunate minority, but for the majority a slow torture of disease and disintegration…" Between the military use of depleted uranium and the "peacetime" use of failing nuclear power plants, we have arrived at such a scenario without even having to declare war! Way 2 Go, Humanity!

• amberlight amberlight

I was going to post this in an "off-topic forum" but I couldn't see one that fit. (Moderator, feel free to move this to an appropriate area.)

I have often felt my entire body vibrating inexplicably, usually moderately, but occasionally very strongly. Last night while sitting down my body started vibrating intensely. (Not tremors or shaking or anything you can see.) This went on for over an hour and gradually ramped down. Although it was very late I went online to try and find a clue and read about the latest quakes off Honshu. Converting UTC time to PST, the vibrating began about an hour to an hour 1/2 before the M7.3 quake.

There have also been more mysterious "booms" around the U.S over the last few days (although not in my area). Moreover, the low-frequency vibrations that were recorded Nov 30 – Dec 1 showed up again in varying degrees around the midwest: http://www.ceri.memphis.edu/seismic/heli/index.html

I'm not saying any of these phenomena are connected with what I experience. Maybe it's increased solar activity. Maybe it's military experimentation. Maybe it's Dick Cheney's pacemaker imploding. I just want to know what is causing this—as well as the tinnitus that sometimes is so loud that it has awakened me from a sound sleep! I should mention that I eat organic, exercise, and am not on any prescription or over-the-coounter meds. Does anyone else here have any similar stories, either personal or that you've heard about?

• Maggie123

Amberlight – If you're not yet noting these effects on a calendar, esp. as possibly related to quake activity, it might be interesting to do so. In my experience – some individuals are able to 'energetically tune into' earth movements and other large events.

Over an hour would sure get a person's attention!

Tinnitus that can wake you up – my thoughts same as re quakes.

I hope neither is too uncomfortable or alarming.

Your report also causes me to look at pre-quake animal behavior with a possible explanation. (If – that is – the effects you experience are quake-related; and it won't surprise me if record keeping seems to confirm some relationship.)

It will be interesting to read what others may post on this. Thanks for sharing!

• amberlight amberlight

Recently I did start taking notes when an effect was particularly strong, but I haven't been able to connect them with specific events with any certainty. The fact that last night's intense vibration, which began fairly suddenly but diminished gradually, occurred an hour or so before the 7.5 quake could indicate some sort of directed beam that triggered the quake… or not. Unfortunately, so many bizarre phenomena are occurring these days that trying to pin down cause and effect is like trying to gather feathers in the wind.

Another weird thing happening here in my northern California town is a random epidemic of laryngitis that lasts for up to two weeks. I use the term "random" because only a few people I've talked to have had this and other members of the same households have not been affected. I lost my voice on Thanksgiving weekend and I still sound like a 3-pack-a-day smoker. Except for clogged up sinuses, none of us is actually sick, although one person did complain of a sore throat for a couple of days. Couldn't find anything relevant on the Internet, so I suppose I should call the health department or medical clinic for info on Monday.

• PurpleRain PurpleRain

amberlight, you really should not worry so much about exact hour, minute, seconds…as there are many different time zones in different countries, etc… just try by marking your own calendar and noting world-events for a bit to see if there might be some correlation. I also feel that some people might be able to have body-knowledge-sensory or even molecular-level 'knowing' and even hard science and physics is beginning to explore these possibilities.

• Maggie123

Agreed, PurpleRain – I've not tracked this kind of experience on a calendar but have found them an excellent 'incidental recording' convenience, and am familiar with, believe in, sensitivity to energy, energy fields – Rupert Sheldrake a well-known name that pops to mind.

Additional incidental thought: later I also thought about tinnitus as an experience for animals (had only considered vibration). No way to know if animals might experience a number of symptom types. Possibly like humans – some more sensitive than others.

• VanneV anne

Are you any where near a GWEN tower?

• amberlight amberlight

Thanks for that link, Anne. I am in Mendocino County and not near any of those locales. Also, most of those sites were in operation much earlier than when my "symptoms" started to show up about the late 1990s or early 2000s. Since it coincided with menopause, I assumed that was the cause, but I am long past the big M and symptoms are manifesting with greater frequency and intensity. I am speaking here of more than the internal vibrations, which began to be noticeable within the last several years. I must emphasize that I live a healthy lifestyle, am energetic, take no drugs and, apart from the laryngitis cum sinus attack mentioned in the post above, am in good health for 68 years old. (Well, okay, I do have some back issues stemming from my wild youth…)

Of course, like everyone else I live in an area swarming with signals from WiFi (not in my home), cell phones (don't use 'em myself), Smart[sic]Meters (not on MY house… EVER!!)

P.S. One more bit of information, for what it's worth in this discussion: Although Mendocino County has no military bases or large airports, I was told by a pilot (of small aircraft, non-military) that it is a designated "military fly zone"—whatever that is supposed to mean. I've seen plenty of unmarked white jets (flying lower than the commercial jets), some of them leaving trails while others leave nothing visible behind them. People I know have seen jets flying so low that they ran for cover, thinking they were about to crash.

• jump-ball jump-ball

7:20 PDT: EQ 4.7 hits Honshu 68 minutes ago, and another 4.4 59 minutes ago, after a 10 hour sequence of 4 plus EQs: how long can Nukushima SFP unit 4's weakened, corroded, sinking, tilted structure hold up to an ongoing settling of the western Pacific plates ???

• Steve_G Steve_G

In regards to the US newest nuclear test. Can anyone tell me what this gentleman's response, if any, is to his own country's handling of Fukushima?

“It is depressing that the United States cannot understand how atomic bomb survivors feel, despite our repeated protests," said Secretary General of the Nagasaki Atomic Bomb Survivors Council Hirotami Yamada.

The Wednesday experiment “is proof that the United States could use nuclear weapons anytime. Such a country is not qualified to be a world leader," he noted.

• FREEDOMROX

I have no idea Steve, but as if we didn't have enough nuke radiation to deal with already, the US Govt. nukes us all again?!!

My response is SOB's!

• kez

This test was subcritical. There was no actual nuclear reaction. Therefore no radiation released.

It was essentially a maintenance test … will the warheads react as expected. Are they safe to personnel involved.

Do I like nuke warheads? Fuck no.

But while they are still here it is to everyone's advantage that their viability is tested and sharpens the computer modeling needed. And wo a radiologic release.

The Japanese reaction is expected. As long as the US maintains its fleet of nukes other countries will be suspicious of our motives.

Why wouldn't they.

You guys probably own guns don't you?

As long as you own them I might be suspicious you were going to use them.

If you didn't inspect and clean your guns every now and then … or act responsibly with them …

I might hope you shot yourself in the ass with one of them.

Take care.

• FREEDOMROX

So you are expecting people to believe that a nuclear test bomb released no radiation? Just because they set it off with outside explosives? What the devil do you think they were monitoring for? Daisies sprouting out the top?

Nonsensical bullsh-t!

It is no matter, since you have shot your own self in the butt…the butt of believing that which can never be. I can test a 30-30 by shooting it, never have tested a 30/30 bullet by blowing it up, but I do figure easily that the gunpowder will ignite and disperse with an outside explosive force.

How naive!

• timemachine2020 timemachine2020

Major shaking on tepco cam right now

• FREEDOMROX

On 3/11/2011, I can find no signs of an enormous earthquake….nowhere. Freaking out is expected, but it is true.

• timemachine2020 timemachine2020

Just saw a Japanese Coast Guard Ship go by the Fukushima plant inspecting the seaside view of the crippled reactors. Wonder what was up with that?

• timemachine2020 timemachine2020

Can also see one of the big cranes shaking from side to side

• timemachine2020 timemachine2020

Damnit man – now all the cranes are swaying back and forth – see on tepco cam

• timemachine2020 timemachine2020