Title: Bomb survivor doctor continues to speak up about significance of internal exposure –
Source: The Mainichi Daily News
Date: January 23, 2012
“Internal radiation exposure has been around since the Hiroshima/Nagasaki days,” said 95-year-old doctor Shuntaro Hida. [...]
To his audience in Yokohama, Hida spoke about people who had survived direct damage from the bomb, but who after a few years were suffering from fatigue so intense that they could not sit up.
“They didn’t bleed, their hair didn’t fall out, they were suffering no visible ailments, and yet there were so many people claiming to be deathly exhausted. I’d examine them, and find nothing wrong. They were perceived to be lazy, and a patient’s family member named it “bura-bura” (an onomatopoeia describing someone hanging out and doing nothing) disease.
Bura-bura patients were mostly healthy people prior to radiation exposure, but now become easily ill. [...]
After the lecture, Hida added: “To put it simply, it’s a generalized weakness in the body. You only have the patient’s word, and it defies categorization under modern medicine, so a doctor might diagnose it not as a physical illness but as a neurosis. Recently, a researcher on the Chernobyl disaster in the former Soviet Union told me there’s such a thing as “radiation fatigue” — thus named because people who had been exposed to radiation from the incident were tired. The way I see it, it wouldn’t be strange in the least if such symptoms were seen in Fukushima.” [...]
It ends with this quote, “For the many people who experienced the bombings, I’ve stood up against the occupation forces and the Japanese government, who others have often deferred to. I have this ‘so what, I’m not doing anything wrong’ attitude at the core.”
Read the report here
Published: January 23rd, 2012 at 7:45 am ET
- NHK broadcasts warnings about internal radiation exposure — Doctor: “Even a low dose will cause damage” (VIDEO) August 9, 2012
- Japanese Doctor’s Fukushima Warning: I am worried because I received calls complaining of health problems much earlier than expected July 12, 2012
- NHK: Internal radiation exposure damages DNA — Plutonium hot particle seen in cell — Avoid touching the “death ash” (VIDEO) January 22, 2012
- Hospital: 40% of Fukushima visitors show internal exposure to radiation June 2, 2011
- Nearly 5,000 nuke plant workers suffering internal radiation exposure after ‘visiting’ Fukushima — Local gov’t to consider testing residents May 22, 2011