Published: June 27th, 2011 at 12:33 pm ET

Return our dogs, TEPCO demands, The Australian, June 28, 2011:

The Australian yesterday revealed the story of animal rescue “guerilla” Hiroshi Hoshi’s mission to the plant to grab two Japanese Shiba dogs spotted wandering around on a webcam trained on the facility.

Yesterday, Mr Hoshi said one of [TEPCO]‘s managers, who called himself Mr Igarashi, made a “ghoulish and bizarre” phone call to him soon after he rescued the dogs, suggesting they had become company property.

“He sounded that those dogs actually belong to TEPCO, because they were found at privately owned area of the plant,” Mr Hoshi told The Australian. [...]

Published: June 27th, 2011 at 12:33 pm ET

1. Strange: Former editor of Japan Times Weekly concerned about mutated raccoon dogs attacking humans — “These are the animals I’m really worried about” after Fukushima (VIDEO) December 9, 2011
  2. Strange: Animals went mad and began attacking humans after exposure to high radiation levels, says Chernobyl scientist — Dogs, foxes, wolves, hogs (VIDEO) January 2, 2012
  3. TV Interview: Do you believe Tepco is ready to run nuclear plants? — Tepco after 20 seconds of total silence: “That is a difficult question” (VIDEO) March 26, 2012
  4. *Webcam Mystery Man at Press Conference* Media banned from Fukushima plant — TEPCO: “We can not disclose the actual situation inside” (VIDEO) October 5, 2011
  5. IAEA is mandated to “accelerate and enlarge the contribution of atomic energy” — “Like expecting a tobacco company to prevent lung cancer” June 3, 2011

31 comments to Man rescues dogs seen on Fukushima plant’s webcam — TEPCO demands they be returned during “ghoulish and bizarre” conversation

• Ariana

Yes, I do believe they are afraid someone will test them for radiation. Those rat bastards. Too bad they can’t kidnap all of the kids in Fukushima prefecture so they can’t be tested too! Why the hell would they want those dogs for any other reason? They should be concerned about the dogs’ health.

• Jaskal

The dogs’ fate is sealed. I sure wouldn’t want to play with them.

• mungo mungo

hey, was it Rocky? i miss that tanuki!

• Ariana

I meant I wouldn’t want to play with them either. I just feel so sorry for them. I read “Voices from Chernobyl” and all those stories about animals in the Zone. Awful.

• Jaskal

It is awful. The children haven’t done very well either.
      Chernobyl is the first major event I distinctly remember from childhood. It permanently changed the way I saw the world.

• Whoopie Whoopie

HP Regular with this alert:
    In about 1 1/2 hours, Paul Guntner of Beyond Nuclear will be on the Thom Hartmann Show talking about Ft. Calhoun.

• alasanon

I’m happy that some people are brave and kind enough in Japan to rescue the dogs!! AWESOME to see some humanity and character there!! He shouldn’t give them up. He should have first rights, absent any other proof of ownership.

• Ariana

Hey Whoopie! I never thought about US kidnapping all those poor kids! We should create a kamikaze group to go in and rescue children. That’s quite possibly the only reason I would ever go over there right now.

• Whoopie Whoopie

Oh how I wish we could do something like that. I would do it in a heartbeat. Where are all the rich elites who claim they care about Japan?!? Why don’t they do it!? Because they dont care. Shameful…just shameful.
      Hey LadyGaGa! Why don’t you fly some out with YOU, eh?

• Flapdoodle Flapdoodle

By TEPCO’s logic, the rescuer also was on private property and should belong to the company.

• Some of their radiation is on our private property.

They can come and confiscate it whenever they want – starting with the hot particles.

There are crows and other birds there too. Only the ones with little badges belong to TEPCO. The rest, perhaps off muching on worms when the memo went out, do not conform to modern man’s twisted conception of hierarchical ownership and have set up their own system of governance based on liberty and equality.

Vive les corbeaux libre!

I think our tanuki is different than the “dogs” mentioned.

Last time I saw him, he had his middle finger up while being chased towards Unit 1 by a guy in a white coat with TEPCO insignia.

:D

• Finch Finch

Bingo! The core is melting to the water!
    Dogs are saved! The first attempt of noble bravery in Japan I have seen on this nuclear case ( I do not say that humanitarian aid in Japan after the tsunami isn`t a heroic effort).
    What kind of “rights” does TEPCO think they have? They have ZERO rights on humanity, maybe they are “porwerful” but they are a bundle of liars and cowards. They have no more face they can lose. They are below human stage.

• Mark Mark

Typical TEPCO. “managing nuclear disaster” core meltdown to groundwater, Ruined powerplant steaming failed cooling system ( thanks Areva ) but wait! We certainly have time to argue over ownership of a couple of dogs ……

God Bless Everyone

• milk and cheese milk and cheese

Here is a quote from Ex-SKF’s blog:
    “The article also says that TEPCO will start the operation of the Spent Fuel Pool air cooling system for the Reactor 3 on June 30, more than 3 months ahead of the schedule outlined in the so-called “roadmap”. How wonderful. More good news, just in time for the shareholders’ meeting.

Maybe TEPCO’s shareholders will be so pleased with the “progress” that they may be willing to approve the 100 billion yen (US$1.24 billion) underground dam construction (link goes to Mainichi English) to prevent the contaminated water from spreading underground.

The Japanese government still “extends and pretends” that the whole accident is just the matter to be resolved by a private entity (TEPCO), the stance they’ve taken from the very beginning.”

That last quote pretty much sums it up.

• milk and cheese milk and cheese

TEPCO has fought the construction of the underground dam construction because it would hurt their share prices. This, while the world deconstructs around them. This is capitalism gone mad. This is also ample justification for reposessing their company. After all people are arrested when they create a public hazard. TEPCO’s management should be held accountable. And they should leave the dogs alone.

• Misitu

What share price?

Last time I looked it was almost on the floor, junk status, after losing IIRC 82% of its value and then more in the ensuing two or so weeks.

Got a bit of pressure of time today otherwise would look up details myself but pretty sure no such thing as a share price for Tepco now.

• markww markww

People of TEPCO IF YOU WERE HERE IN AMERICA I would turn you over to animal INJURY department for prosecution. People need to charge TEPCO WITH FRAUD and INCOMPETENCE and put some real engineers in charge and fire TEPCO

• jump-ball jump-ball

Tepco people won’t respond to that, but, drastic as it is, maybe an international boycott of Japanese cars, electronics, food and other exports is the kind of thing that might get their and the government’s attention, and could be accomplished by citizens of the world without government interference.

If that’s too much of an additional burden on the Japanese merchants, then we need some other direct action that bypasses tepco and their government sponsors, but gets their attention.

• Terranigma1 Terranigma1

This is one video I cannot bear to watch. The Fukushima animal stories are heart-breaking, to say the least. People have the good sense to know what’s happening and evacuate, but the animals, unless they have a sixth sense to get the hell out of there, are doomed.
    Some pets could still be awaiting their owners’ return.

One of the nightly news shows featured a Japanese resident raising championship bulls on his farm from the evacuation area. He dilligently returned to his home every day and risked his life to feed his animals. Really heartbreaking!

• Ariana

Which video?
      Have you read Igor Kostin’s book “Confessions of a Reporter”? He interviewed some guys who had to go into the exclusion zone after Chernobyl to shoot abandoned animals. It was horrible. I can’t think about it without crying.

• ocifferdave

TEPCO, like a psychopathic, schitzo murderer, is obsessing about a dog. Rather than obsessing about our health. TEPCO knows they are murderers and probably have said, who cares at this point, we’re murderers…lets just get as much benefit out of this situations as will still can while we still can.

• Ariana

I just don’t get why they won’t evacuate more people. This is obviously way out of hand. They act as if the radiation is contained to the 30 km zone, like it has some invisible force field holding it in. Japan isn’t a poor country. They have absolutely no excuse for leaving those children in such a drastically contaminated place. If this doesn’t kill us all, I hate to know what kind of mutations it will cause.

• Novamind

There is no way to give these dogs a clean bill of Health. Animals are cast aside due to Nuclear Contamination That Cannot be Removed due to the fur on the animal. At Chernobyl many pets feet were burned bad from radiation. This story has holes in it. Anyone here see these dogs on a cam shot? Myself I have seen only Rocky the Tanuki.

• bluerthanblu bluerthanblu

True they don’t have a clean bill of health, no way. At least they were taken by their guardians to Yokohama. Good ending but some exchange of radiation between man and animal does occur, yes?

I saw one shiba on the ‘fuku1live’ cam 6-27-11, 12:00-13:00 around 12:07:57. One dog literally was racing up the hill with another streaking through the bushes a bit later. TEPCO should thank Hoshi-san for capturing these dogs. It saves them the embarrassment of having to capture the critters themselves while suited up, like Keystone Cops on the cam, haha.

As for Rocky, I have not seen him since Jun 17. He’s usually around at 13:00 or 19:00. Maybe he was in the wrong place at the wrong time but I hope he went North, exited stage left, on the TEPCO cam.

Now for the 600,000 chickens, 31,000 pigs, 5,000 dogs, 1,000 horses (?), and unknown number of cats, not to mention the farm cows. Small animals may be okay for awhile but the large ones…sigh. No doubt more vet volunteers are needed to deal. All I’ve read about radiation sickness in extreme doses is that it’s not an easy death, for man or animal. The animal deaths make me so sad, I need to go to Animal Lovers’ Anonymous and admit, I am powerless to love them too much! If I wake up one day and there’s nothing alive but humans on the planet, I am so outta here (the non-animal lovers would say ‘see ya!’ but nevermind).

• bluerthanblu bluerthanblu

F/U: 2011.06.29 10:00-11:00/ (Live Fukushima Nuclear Plant Cam), at 0:14 3:01. Tanuki on his left side, lying down on the right side of the TEPCO cam walkway. He made a liar out of me last time and jumped up to a sitting position. I don’t know if he’s down for the count this time. Maybe Hoshi-san, my hero, can check on him?