Fox San Francisco transcript, Jul 6, 2015 (emphasis added): Several dead sea mammals found along Ocean Beach — In San Francisco, an unusual and sad sight at Ocean Beach today. That’s where several dead marine mammals washed ashore… This part of a troubling trend… Back in May, 3 dead whales washed up along San Francisco beaches… Joey DeRuy: “I took photos of it because it was so unusual“… But that wasn’t the end of his unusual beach sightings. DeRuy: “I kept walking and I kept running into more.” He said he spotted a small dead seal, then a much larger mammal that appeared to be an elephant seal. Several people walking by couldn’t help but stop and wonder what is behind the deaths… DeRuy: “It’s very disturbing, because I’ve never seen so many animals.”
KTVU tweet, Jul 7, 2015: Dead dolphin & seals are latest marine mammals to wash up on Bay Area beaches
ABC San Francisco transcript, Jul 6, 2015: A disturbing day at the beach in San Francisco, three large marine mammals washed up dead at Ocean Beach… [Joey DeRuy ] came upon a dead sea lion pup but kept walking. A few minutes later, he tripped upon the carcass of what appeared to be a huge elephant seal. DeRuy: “So many dead animals, it felt really tragic“. Then a bit further down the beach he found a dead dolphin. DeRuy: “Just so many — a variety of exotic animals dead like that… very peculiar.”… The fear is there could be more to come.
NBC Bay Area news anchor, Jul 7, 2015: Ocean Beach the scene of more mammals washing ashore. Now a dolphin and 2 sea lions join the list of multiple dead whales.
SFist, Jul 6, 2015: Multiple Marine Mammals Found Dead Along Ocean Beach Monday — At least two dead sea lions, including one large adult, and one large dolphin, washed ashore today along Ocean Beach and there may be more to come… It’s unclear just yet if this could part of a larger beaching, or part of a recent pattern… more beachings due to starvation are expected… Today’s beachings follow multiple cases of dead whales appearing on our coast over the last couple of months.
Paul Saraceni, Ocean Beach, SF seawatch, Jul 5, 2015: Sad and disconcerting to see were 2 dead cetaceans floating out beyond the breakers. One appeared to be a Bottlenose Dolphin… The other appeared to be a relatively small whale, black in color — perhaps a young Humpback… During a walk on Ocean Beach S of Noriega yesterday, washed up in the wrack line on the beach were deceased Sooty Shearwater and sea lion pup.
Baja Times, Jul 1, 2015: In the last couple of weeks, three dead whales have been found [10-20 miles from San Diego]. Authorities said that the cause of the death might be water pollution…
Lost Coast Outpost (N. California), Jun 27, 2015: Hikers Find Two Dead Whales on Lost Coast Trail… Hiker Mark Scatchard said the whales’ locations were spread about 10 miles apart. “On our annual pilgrimage down the Lost Coast Trail this week, we saw not one, but two dead whales… The one on the beach was freshly dead and there were no signs of net marks, crab pots, ropes or buoys.”
Published: July 7th, 2015 at 12:54 pm ET
- Massive die-off of sea creatures from California to Alaska — Animals starving as food chains continue to collapse — Mass starvation events plague West Coast — Scientist: “Felt like I was doing nothing but counting dead animals” — TV: Deaths really quite troubling (VIDEO) January 12, 2017
- TV: “Can’t believe it’s happened again” on San Francisco coast — Mysterious whale deaths baffling scientists — Officials: An “inexplicable” trend — Dolphins wash up dead on beach nearby, “heartbreaking to hear the dying baby calling out” (VIDEO) August 3, 2015
- CBS: “Mysterious whale deaths” in California under investigation — Scientists perplexed, this is “very concerning” — “Continues trend of whales washing ashore” — Animals sick, starving, emaciated, too weak to swim, hemorrhaging (VIDEO) April 29, 2015
- Scientists mystified by unusual strandings of large sea creatures on West Coast — TV: “In 3 weeks, 5 dead whales have now beached along the Northern California coast” — “It’s totally something new, something strange”… “This is kind of eerie, what are the odds of two dead whales in same place?” (VIDEO) May 11, 2015
- 13 baby gray whales and 55 dolphins found dead on West Coast — “Rash of dead humpback whales in Oregon” — “Corpses of sea lions, birds, sea turtles decomposing” — Mysterious deaths probed by gov’t — “Fear for whales encountering ‘radiation hot spots’…Volunteers trained about dangers of radiation” (VIDEO) April 3, 2015