‘Your Call’ hosted by Rose Aguilar, KALW, Jan. 16, 2014:
At 10:30 in
Jay Cullen, associate professor at the School of Earth and Ocean Sciences at the University of Victoria: At this point, the most recent numbers I have in front of me — and perhaps Ken can provide some insight here too — there’s been on the order of 80 petabecquerels of cesium-137 that’s been released to the environment [from Fukushima Daiichi]*.
At 12:30 in
Ken Buesseler, senior scientist in marine chemistry & geochemistry at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution: It actually surprised us a bit this summer when they said [the Fukushima Daiichi site is] not leaking into the ocean, and they said it’s not getting out of the harbor. Anyone offshore can detect those isotopes. It is leaking, continuously at low levels of cesium, compared to the release — nothing like the 100 of, or 50 to 80 petabecquerels in 2011.
At 41:25 in
Cullen: The radioactive plume itself has actually arrived here we know in British Columbia [...] In 2012 we started to detect radionuclides offshore. And in 2013 that water was about 0.3 becquerel, sorry, pardon me, 3 becquerels per m³, was showing up on the coast — it’s already here.
*The Nuclear Energy Agency’s estimated Chernobyl released 85 petabecquerels of cs-137, while the U.N. revised their estimate to 70 petabecquerels after more accurate data became available.
Nice to hear the professor sticking with cubic meters instead of making the conversion to liters, as had been done on previous occasions. The 53-minute broadcast is available here
Published: January 21st, 2014 at 2:10 pm ET
- Unpublished gov’t map shows massive plume of Fukushima radioactive material just off West Coast of North America — Radiation levels quadrupled in recent months — Scientist: “We are starting to see the penetration of cesium from offshore… to the coast” (VIDEO & MAP) October 13, 2015
- Japan Researchers: Models show North America hit with ‘very high’ levels from Fukushima plume — Radioactive material in ocean off West Coast was up to 500 times more than expected (VIDEO) August 27, 2014
- Gov’t Report: Fukushima released up to 181 Quadrillion Bq of cesium, Chernobyl was 105 Quadrillion — Radioactive material to flow from Japan “for years to come” — Fukushima radionuclides have now spread “throughout N. Pacific” May 20, 2014
- Former US Gov’t Official: Growing likelihood Fukushima reactors will be entombed — Nuclear ‘sacrifice zone’ where they can only try to reduce contamination from escaping — Unprecedented situation, it’s flowing into Pacific Ocean continually adding to plume soon to hit West Coast (AUDIO) April 4, 2014
- Gov’t model shows airborne radioactive plume covering entire west coast of US & Canada on Mar 22, 2011… 10 times more radioactive than plume coming from Fukushima plant on same day — Radiation levels in some plumes had no discernible decrease after crossing Pacific (VIDEO) April 8, 2014