Peruvian mayor: strontium in water makes you gay, BoingBoing by David Pescovitz, Nov. 26, 2011:
Huarmey, Peru mayor Jose Benitez is reportedly concerned that high levels of strontium in his town’s drinking water are turning men gay.
Google Translation: Huarmey Mayor ensures that contaminated water may back gay people, La Republica (Peru), Nov. 14, 2011:
[...] Strong criticism has been the mayor of Huarmey , Jose Benitez Pantoja, who said his province water is contaminated with strontium metal and this can become homosexuals to consume the liquid element.
In a clear sign of ignorance of the subject, Benitez said that with the metal manganese in the water that the people of Huarmey, Ancash province, consumed and decreases male hormones.
“Worry Huarmey water has strontium and manganese and are in danger. Strontium and strontium latent unfortunately reduces the male hormones,” said to the surprise of those who heard him, according to a published audio RPP.
This recalls the statements of Bolivian President Evo Morales said in a speech when you can eat chicken again gay men due to growth hormones.
Published: November 30th, 2011 at 8:19 am ET
- Radioactive fish found in Connecticut River — State officials trying to determine source of Strontium-90 August 2, 2011
- Official: Flakes fell like snow after first Fukushima explosion — “It was like a movie” February 12, 2012
- TEPCO employee arrested for making prank calls to TEPCO — Anger over having to eat radiation-contaminated food, say sources September 27, 2011
- Head of Fukushima health study: 100 mSv/yr OK for pregnant moms — “Effects of radiation do not come to people that are happy… They come to people that are weak-spirited” June 11, 2011
- Reactor No. 2 basement filled with radioactive “rust red” colored water measuring 430 millisieverts per hour at surface (PHOTO) June 22, 2011