A guide to the triple melt-throughs at Fukushima (VIDEOS)
Published: October 31st, 2011 at 6:29 am ET
- Japanese professor: Melted fuel has gone through containers and is on concrete foundations sinking into ground below, as far as I can tell -- Underground dam was being prepared, but TEPCO resisting
- Mainichi: "The melted nuclear fuel is sinking toward water under the ground"
- TV: Workers say ground under Fukushima plant is cracking and radioactive steam is coming up -- Melted core may be moving out of building (VIDEO)
- Japan Journalist: Gov't source says "I've heard about the steam coming out from the ground, and I am concerned" -- "Some kind of reaction may be occurring underground" writes plant worker
- Japan nuke expert: Melted fuel rods estimated to be 12 meters underground Reactors No. 1-3 -- To be 100 feet deep in a year (AUDIO)
- "It's Official: Fukushima Was Hit With a Full-Blown Nuclear Meltdown" -- Pool of radioactive lava could be melting its way out
- Reactor No. 1 core had total meltdown and uranium fuel may be outside containment building -- Nuclear reaction could have restarted
- Time.com: China Syndrome "might just have happened at Fukushima" -- Molten fuel may have "melted through everything into the earth"
- Film foretold Fukushima meltdown -- If reactors could not be kept full of water, fuel would eat through container resulting in "China Syndrome" (VIDEO)
- Fukushima plant "seems to be going through a limited version of the China syndrome"
- "It was even worse than the worst imagination of the media" -- Radiation now "leaking through cracks in the containment and melted holes" after total meltdown (CNN VIDEO)
- More serious than a meltdown -- Japan Gov't now raising possibility that fuel had a "melt through" at all 3 reactors
- Gov't report suggests situation "far worse" than meltdown -- It "is the worst possibility in a nuclear accident"
- "Nuclear fuel has melted through base of Fukushima plant" -Telegraph
- Worse than a 'melt through' - a 'melt out'? -- See Graphic
- Report: Undated animation shows Japan gov't nuke experts must have known Fukushima was a melt-through (VIDEO)
- Experts: Melt-through scenario means even higher radiation readings to come -- Likely many more reports of deadly radiation in future
- TEPCO trying to stop 'leaking radioactive material' from reaching water underground -- Barrier may be complete by 2014
- Report: Gov't paper shows melt-out at Fukushima was predicted on day of quake
- Dr. Koide: Massive amounts of radioactivity may again be released from Fukushima -- Mentions "steam explosion" after melted fuel hits water
- Gundersen's Latest: 60 holes in bottom of Fukushima-type reactors make core melt-through easier -- Fuel only had to get through a thin pipe, not inches of steel (VIDEO)
- Yomiuri on China Syndrome: Gov't secretly figured out how far the melted fuel would burn through reactor pedestals -- "Worst-possible scenario"
- Nuclear Expert Discusses 'Melt-Through' at NRC Meeting: I believe melted nuclear core leaked out of Fukushima reactors onto floor (VIDEO)
- NRC Chairman discusses 'Core on the Floor': It's possible that severely damaged melted nuclear fuel has migrated outside reactor vessel (VIDEO)
- Japan lawmaker: Plutonium certainly went deep within basement of Reactor No. 3 -- Anyone’s guess where it's at now
- Scientist back from Japan: Melt-through of Fukushima containment vessels being discussed — They can’t locate any of the 3 molten reactor cores — “It’s bad, it’s definitely not over” November 25, 2013
- Video: Fukushima had “meltdown, melt-through, & melt-out within days of quake” — US Gov’t: Analysis says containment vessel fails after fuel melts through barrier — Experts: Corium may have melted out to reactor building, prepare for radiation doses over 200,000,000 microsieverts/hour March 10, 2015
- Fukushima Investigation: “Within one day complete meltdown and melt through occurred” — “There is no way that gov’t did not know this” (VIDEO) April 20, 2012
- Nuclear Expert: Fukushima fuel suspected to be in ground… “it’s going to melt right down into the ground” when heat isn’t removed, that’s why these are so dangerous — Physician: “3 of Fukushima’s reactors melted through containment… the crisis is clearly ongoing” (VIDEO) August 18, 2014
- Japan Times: “The great unknown” — Where will nuclear fuel be found after “melt-through” at 3 Fukushima reactors? Official Expert: Humans may have to hunt for corium after raising limits on radiation exposure October 19, 2013