Title: Put children before politics
Source: SENTAKU MAGAZINE via Japan Times
Date: Feb. 14, 2012
[...] Although the government has been trying to pacify citizens by claiming there is no immediate threat to human health as a result of exposure to radiation, medical experts are deeply concerned about children and their exposure and the potential hazard to their health.
[...] Medical checks by the Minami-Soma Municipal Hospital using Whole Body Counters (WBCs) show the seriousness of radiation exposure.
Of the 527 children checked in and after September, 268, or 51 percent, were found to have suffered from internal exposure to cesium-137. One doctor at the hospital said some of the children had been eating wild plants picked in the mountains. Evidence of high-level exposure to gamma rays was detected in the clothes of some children, indicating, he said, that their parents were paying little attention to the risks of radiation exposure.
[...] it appears inevitable that at least some children living in the vicinity of the Fukushima nuclear power plant will face health hazards in the future. The risk will only worsen if administrative officials fail to perform their duties or obstruct efforts by hospitals and doctors. [...]
Nothing would constitute a more serious “man-made calamity” than destroying the future of children through the egotistic games of grown-ups.
Read the report here
Published: February 14th, 2012 at 2:17 am ET
- Japan Times on Fukushima Hearing: “I’m really terrified” says mother — Another in tears, “I just hope my son will stay healthy” — “I’m deeply concerned” says father August 4, 2012
- Kyodo: 57.7 µSv/hr was at “place where children always played” — Residents “deeply concerned” near Tokyo October 24, 2011
- Red Cross Team said “We were told by headquarters not to provide medical care for those exposed to radiation” after 3/11 -Hospital Worker July 28, 2012
- Fukushima Medical Care Provider: Hospital president says people will be healthier after radiation exposure from triple meltdowns — “There is no argument allowed” July 27, 2012
- Head of internal medicine at Japan hospital astonished by Fukushima thyroid exams — Immediate evacuation required in high contamination areas — “A violation of human rights for those exposed” July 28, 2012