Published: May 2nd, 2011 at 7:06 am ET

U.S. medical group blasts Tokyo radiation policy on Fukushima children, Kyodo, May 2, 2011:

Physicians for Social Responsibility, a U.S. nonprofit organization of medical experts, has condemned as “unconscionable” the Japanese government’s safety standards on radiation levels at elementary and middle schools in nuclear disaster-stricken Fukushima Prefecture.

The PSR statement directly challenges the Japanese government stance that it is safe for schoolchildren to use playgrounds on school premises in the prefecture as long as the dose they are exposed to does not exceed 20 millisieverts over a year.

The PSR view is also in line with that voiced by Toshiso Kosako, who said Friday he would step down as an adviser to Prime Minister Naoto Kan on the Fukushima nuclear crisis in protest. [...]

Published: May 2nd, 2011 at 7:06 am ET

1. Japanese medical experts deeply concerned about children’s radiation exposure — 51% of kids contaminated with cesium-137 at Fukushima hospital — Some had clothing indicating high-level gamma rays February 14, 2012
  2. Lawmakers seek free medical care for radiation-exposed children outside Fukushima February 17, 2012
  3. NHK: Japan announces free medical care for Fukushima children under 18 — Requested by local gov’t January 8, 2012
  4. Tokyo Newspaper: 6 in 10 Fukushima children tested have diabetes — Head of Tokyo-area Medical Clinic: We are expecting diabetes in children from Fukushima radiation (VIDEO) May 16, 2012
  5. Japanese musicians film as children play barefoot in elevated radiation levels -Gawker (PHOTOS & VIDEOS) April 30, 2012

13 comments to Medical experts: Japan’s safety standards on radiation levels for children are “unconscionable”

• Noah

Dosimeter Readings Needed

If you have been wearing a dosimeter (outside of nuke facilities, ships, boats, etc.), since 311, please report your total dosage in mSV, from 311 to present.

• Cindy

I’ve had mine since April 27th. I keep it in my small backpack and now take it with me where ever I go. I take readings daily with it and calibrate it daily. So far they’ve been pretty constant..not much leaking or need for calibration. I’m really happy with mine. A couple of days ago.. I noticed the needle on the one that I take out and about had moved. It was at 2 Rem.(Equiv of a couple of CT scans) When I got home I quickly checked the others I had as backups (and as a “control”)..they were still registering “0″. So…there is definitely some radioactivity going on here West of Portland Oregon.

• Anna

Noah, yesterday I read that your dosimeter was getting more active. What is the situation today?

• Frelvis

Noah, where are you located? Could you publish the data you have in addition to what you will collect from others?

• Noah

Interest in Dosimeter Readings

Thank You Cindy, Anna and Frelvis for your interest and replies.

Some Background info that led to the above post.

It occurred to me that those of us downwind from Fukushima (In the Northern Hemisphere) would be interested in comparing our individual cummulative/total dose exposure readings (since 311) with others who carry dosimeters throughout the day.

These would be those who do not work in a nuclear facility, or nuclear medicine. But, who live and work in a city or town environment.

Web sites that report CPM

It seems to me that having geiger tube based measurements of counts per minute (CPM) nationwide reporting on a national or international scale gives an incomplete picture. Very helpful, but incomplete.

Aboard a nuclear vessel, the US Navy requires crew to wear a military grade, EMI hardened dosimeter 24/7 while deployed. Tracking and remotely recording readings using passive pass by dosimeter scanning for each crew member, gives medical as well as the nuclear safety officer an accurate and current understanding of the individual status of the the crew. Combined with air quality data and sensitive ambient CPM monitoring, it gives the Captain confidence that the nuclear hygiene of his boat is up to standards.

Obviously what is missing from the monitoring data for Northern Hemisphere downwinders (NHD) is dosimeter data from individual citizens who populate the nation states concerned.

So that is why I asked for your readings.

As impossible as this now sounds, we the NHD, are all aboard a nuclear powered earth vessel.

What do you do?

• Poor Daddy

Noah says…..
    “We are crew members of this very large earth boat, we have reactors powering the electrical grid of our vessel. There is an active nuclear leak aboard our earth boat and the Captain and officers are incapacitated by the political fallout. And next in the chain of command is you.”
    Dead On! but I would add GREED to the political fallout incapacitation, although they just might be one and the same.

• Noah

Record Dry Electrical Storm Spanning Days
    Lightning induced Power outages
    Multiple Tornadoes over ocean
    Odd heavy chemical smell permeates air

My power was knocked out.

I have been off line for many hours due to power outages in my area. Very extreme weather phenomena. An electrical storm of immense power is under weigh spanning days, yet the media with their advanced Doppler radar has not reported it as one for the record books. Lightning and thunder every few second day and night along with multiple strange tornadoes (water spouts) forming over the ocean is unusual. Prior to the storm an odd heavy smell present in the soupy air that no one really seemed to notice, except Mrs. Noah.

During a period of extremely high rainfall the CPM reading on my geiger tube based device began to vary widely. I took it as the insulation effects of water, dampening the effect of ambient background radiation during the period of highest rainfall, as the counter hit an all time low of 3 CPM at peak rainfall. A underwater living quarters would be interesting. Perhaps a modern home built at the center of a large water filled pool, with a beaver lodge entrance, with a positive pressure internal moon pool. Creative non-toxic radiation shielding?

I am looking into the possibility of switching my home to operate on twelve volt systems used in marine applications. That way I can continue operating during city wide blackouts using battery backup recharged by day using solar panels. Of course these remedial actions are well known, but expensive. With all the weather manipulation and barium spraying going on here, I anticipate further extreme weather disturbances and power outages.

I have been using my resources to accumulate pre-311 foods with long storage life. My home is beginning to resemble a warehouse.

I am upgrading my kitchen RO unit to a larger capacity 100 gallon per day unit equipped with a passive permeate pump that enhances RO membrane efficiency.

I successfully installed the 3M cartridge based whole house filtration unit (covered in detail in prior posts), that acts as a carbon pre-filter to the point of use RO units within the house. This will lengthen the effectiveness and life of the RO units, which I depend on heavily to remove the majority of radioactive particles from the potable city water that supplies my home.

It is late, the constant thunder and flashes of light in the night sky woke me.

But, time for more sleep.

• Heart of the Rose

“Dry electrical storms spanning days…etc”
    Thanks for these observations,Noah.
    Very interesting..
    Thanks for all your great work.