UPDATE: TV: Millions of fish dead at Oregon coast -- "Craziest thing I've ever seen" -- "You can't blame people for being alarmed" -- Aquarium: "It kind of looks like the apocalypse... especially big numbers... but this is a sign that anchovies are doing good" (VIDEO)
NBC Bay Area, July 31, 2014 (emphasis added): Santa Cruz has declared an emergency situation in its harbor. [...] Hundreds of thousands of dead anchovies are floating to the surface […] Officials say the same thing happened last year, but not to this level. According to [the harbormaster], this is the worst fish kill in Santa Cruz since the 1980s.
Santa Cruz Sentinel, July 31, 2014: The die-off is the third in three weeks. On July 18, thousands of white croakers washed up on Manresa State Beach [...] July 25, scores of dead anchovies washed onto the beach at Capitola […] four massive anchovy kills in harbor history: 1964, 1974, 1980 and 1984.
ABC 7, July 31, 2014: This is the fifth mass anchovy die-off in 50 years in Santa Cruz. The most recent was last October.
KSBW, July 31, 2014: Millions of anchovies died overnight in the Santa Cruz yacht harbor […] the third major fish kill in Santa Cruz County this month […] Cleanup volunteers said, “Well it happened again folks. Millions of dead anchovies overnight. It’s not Fukushima”
KION, July 26, 2014: Sardines and a paste-like substance shut [Capitola beach] down. […] “We had been here so many times before and never seen them like that before,” [mother Kim Legue] said. […] Capitola police cleared the beach […] and called Santa Cruz County Environmental Health to investigate […] officials said [the paste] is something new. […] “What was found was a like a white, doughy-type substance. It’s unknown what the substance is at this point,” said Sgt. Cliff Sloma. […] This comes a week after a similar scene at Manresa State Beach where thousands of dead fish washed up. [...] investigators said the paste-like substance is most likely something naturally created.
KSBW, July 28, 2014: Another fish kill, this time along Capitola […] State Fish & Wildlife aren’t 100% sure what caused this latest fish kill but they’re certain it wasn’t natural. […] A similar incident happened just ten days ago, when hundreds of thousands of white croaker fish washed up on Manresa State Beach. They’re likely unrelated. NOAA: “An open ocean issue shouldn’t cause that kind of a problem so we don’t know of any specific spill, any specfic release of any chemicals that would have caused it” […] Last Friday afternoon [Capitola Beach] was closed for two hours. A gooey substance was found floating in the water and health officials were contacted […] officials have not identified what that ‘gooey’ substance was other than it didn’t pose a threat to public health. >> Watch the KSBW broadcast here
Published: August 1st, 2014 at 9:39 am ET
- TV: “Can’t believe it’s happened again” on San Francisco coast — Mysterious whale deaths baffling scientists — Officials: An “inexplicable” trend — Dolphins wash up dead on beach nearby, “heartbreaking to hear the dying baby calling out” (VIDEO) August 3, 2015
- TV: Scientists warning of mass die-off along California coast — Official: Seafloor littered with dead fish, washing up “as far as I could see” — Toxin has spread all up and down West Coast — Experts: “Very, very unusual… Really extraordinary” (VIDEO) June 2, 2015
- Dead sea creatures “covering the sand with a sea of red” on California beach; Witnesses: “Bazillions of crab-like things washed ashore… I’ve never seen these before, it’s incredible” — ‘Glow in the dark’ organisms recently stranded nearby; Official: “No one here has ever seen it!” (VIDEO) March 23, 2015
- California Official: Information on risk from Fukushima needs to be made public — State in contact with NRC — CBS: ‘Health Scare Over Possible Fukushima Radiation In Pacific-Caught Fish’ — Surfer: I’d never go surfing right now (VIDEO) January 11, 2014
- TV: Huge increase in dead and sick sea mammals on California coast — Unprecedented numbers, annual record broken in 7 months — Starving, drooling, brain damaged, suffering seizures — Sea lions ‘mysteriously’ vanishing on other side of Pacific — Experts: We don’t know what’s happening (VIDEO) August 3, 2014