Published: January 16th, 2012 at 9:49 am ET

Title: Radioactive Concrete Is Latest Scare for Fukushima Survivors
Source: ABC News
Author: Akiko Fujita
Date: Jan 16, 2012 8:33am

[...] “We thought we could finally settle here. I have no words,” said a resident, who told broadcaster NHK  she moved to the apartment with her husband and young children, to escape radiation. “I just feel so awful for my kids. I feel like I’ve failed as a parent.” [...]

Read the report here

See also:

Published: January 16th, 2012 at 9:49 am ET

1. Asahi: Many Fukushima evacuees living at infamous apartment building built from radioactive materials January 16, 2012
  2. Trapped? 3 children living in radioactive apartment built with tainted cement, dose over 10 millisieverts/yr — Nuclear Official: Not an amount where evacuation is warranted -WSJ January 16, 2012
  3. Gov’t warned of radioactive concrete problem last month, claimed it had investigated — Admits more evacuees may be living in contaminated homes January 16, 2012
  4. Increasing number of horrified parents in Tokyo-area, as young children enjoy “radioactive autumn” outdoors — Accused of being “monster parent” if concerned October 11, 2011
  5. Gundersen: 1/3 of Fukushima kids tested positive for lumps on thyroid — Forebodes some real issues in future — We’re only 10 months into the accident here (AUDIO) February 14, 2012

17 comments to Mom escapes radiation by moving into radioactive apartment: “I have no words — I just feel so awful for my kids — I feel like I’ve failed as a parent” -ABC News

• mungo mungo

@admin… can we have all the articles about this concrete in one thread, it is getting messy! thanks!

• aigeezer aigeezer

I’m of the opinion that this story is yet another distraction, from a problem-solving perspective. It is, of course, of major concern for those caught up in it and from a human-interest perspective.

However, it gives the illusion that the problem is manageable: move a few people, fire a few people, change a few regulations, decontaminate a building, build another building… that kind of thing.

The much more serious – and possibly unmanageable problem – is ongoing at the Fukushima plant, and – unthinkably yet possibly true – in most of the world’s ecosystems.

This kind of story gives people the illusion that “they” or “we” can and should “do something” – the classic “rearrange the deck chairs on the Titanic” behavior.

Tick, tick, tick.

SHUT THEM ALL DOWN

• goathead goathead

This story certainly doesn’t leave me with any illusions!!

It helps to highlight the incredible amount of irony we are dealing with here as a result of the highest amount of incompetence ever dealt by a government to it’s people!!

This is an education to us all and it’s spreading fast!!

• enoughalready45 enoughalready45

Hey Japanese–had enough yet–PROTEST!

• jec jec

They have. Right now, think a lot of folks are not well, fatigued due to increasing levels of radiation. Its hard to become protestors when you dont feel well –and if intestinal issues..you don’t go anywhere. And how many folks have this “flu” the government has mentioned, to the extent of forcing people to say home..off the roads. Sounds like attempt to stop protests when the population realizes they have been highly radiated and lied to.

• goathead goathead

We are experiencing a new wave of terror!!!!!!

• StillJill StillJill

Yes jec–”when the population realizes they have been highly radiated and lied to.”

Then,…about a week or two later,…they’ll ALSO REALIZE they are dying. They have been MURDERED.

Just like our poster this morning recited the poem? Story,…Punch line,..”Are you going to kill me now with that needle”?

“No, I already DID, 10 minutes ago when you were asleep”. You’re dead.

How does THAT feel?

• enoughalready45 enoughalready45

The looming danger of additional nuclear plants suffering meltdowns and radiating the earth even more terrorizes me. Wish my government would send soliders to shut all the nuclear plants down in my own country not just Iran.

• StillJill StillJill

I don’t want to loose this Mother,…in the frey, right? My heart SCREAMS inside,…for her and her children and hubby! It SCREAMS out for myself as well,…my grandbabies are sickly I hear. WTF to do? It’s past human power. Time to go to whatever higher power you want to call Him. There is but one way, one truth, and one life. Seek it I pray!

• Very little has changed since Chernobyl blew up and radiated everyone, except that many more nuclear accidents and releases happened, plus way more radioactive substances are now in the air, on the ground and in the ocean as well as inside all of us.

What kind of things are inside of us you ask?

How about a little of this and a little of that?

How would you like 93 Long lived radioactive elements lasting anywhere from 17,000 years to BILLIONS of years in total decay life?

This is what you can tell your kids that you left for them to clean up, once you are gone. The Egyptian pyramids are only 5,000 years old, and the Bible is about 2,000 years old.

How much sense does it make to heat water for only 30 years with fuel that blows up and melts down (creating huge non livable zones for 50,000 years?

Then our future generations of kids have to deal with the radioactive leftovers from the spent fuel, laying around for billions of years? Do we REALLY want our kids and grandkids for infinite future generations to pay for the storage and guarding of these dangerous, terrorist inviting waste products?

More details on just 13 of the above long half life radioactive elements;