(Subscription Only) Title: TEPCO shows Fukushima footage leading to tainted water release
Source: Kyodo News
Date: Dec. 1, 2012
TEPCO shows Fukushima footage leading to tainted water release
Tokyo Electric Power Co., the operator of the crisis-hit Fukushima nuclear power plant, disclosed Friday additional video recordings of its in-house teleconferences in the early phase of the 2011 disaster, showing tense exchanges between its employees prior to the controversial release of radioactive water into the sea.
A part of about 336 hours of the footage, recorded between March 16 and 23 and March 30 and April 6, 2011, uncovered the difficulties faced by TEPCO to deal with tainted water building up in the basements of the No. 5 and No. 6 reactors.
Former chief of the plant Masao Yoshida told the head office in Tokyo on April 4 that there would not be enough time to make tanks to store radioactive water. [...]
Among the 336 hours of new footage include scenes from the morning of April 2, 2011, in which TEPCO confirmed leaks of high-level radioactive waters into the sea from Unit 2 after it had experienced a core meltdown. “We have confirmed a worst situation. Water containing extremely high levels of radiation are flowing into the sea,” Masao Yoshida, then manager of the plant, says in the footage.
Published: November 30th, 2012 at 12:57 pm ET
- Tepco: Trench connected to Unit No. 2 is what’s contaminating groundwater at Fukushima — Has extremely high levels of over 3 billion Bq/liter of radioactive substances — Water is flowing in from reactor building (VIDEO) August 12, 2013
- NHK Special: Extremely toxic water 4,000,000 times gov’t limit in trenches between Fukushima reactors and ocean — Experts: “Source of contamination for Pacific” — “Levels too high for them to get more precise look at situation” — Reporter: Plutonium leaked out after fuel rods damaged (VIDEO) April 18, 2014
- TV: “Barrier is not holding” at Fukushima plant — All efforts have failed to stop very high levels of radioactive materials flowing into ocean — Officials: More water’s coming in than we were pumping out — Workers now trying to prevent overflow (VIDEO) November 19, 2014
- NHK: Radiation levels increasing at Fukushima plant — “No solution to tainted water” — Hundreds of tons flowing into reactor buildings every day (VIDEO) January 5, 2013
- TV: “Extremely high levels of radioactive substances” leaked Wednesday night at Fukushima plant — 25 trillion becquerels of Strontium-90 and other beta emitters estimated to have flowed out — “Investigation is still underway” (VIDEO) February 19, 2014