Excerpts from ‘Experience of a mother who moved from Fukushima to Niigata in January 2013‘, Dec 23, 2014 (h/t Dissensus Japan) — emphasis added:
- In January 2013, with my 4-year-old child, I evacuated from Fukushima to Niigata.
- Where I grew up is about 60 km [~40 miles] from Fukushima Daiichi… it is now one of the most contaminated areas.
- I still regret thinking why I didn’t move right then. I feel guilty thinking I wouldn’t have had my child exposed to radiation if I moved then.
- After we moved, our health recovered tremendously… I try to behave cheerfully, but I feel totally hopeless when I think about our future.
Child’s Health Problems
- My child started to become sick. When I took my child to a hospital, the diagnosis was a cold. But the coughs didn’t stop and, looking sluggish, my child seemed to be worse.
- [My family] gave my child peaches, tomatoes, corn, bamboo shoots, and huge shiitake [they harvested]. They fed us dried persimmons, too.
- At the kindergarten they encouraged children to go out to play and to my disbelief, they used local food for school lunch.
- My child had cold symptoms all the time. He had frequent nose bleeding. He was always scratching his itchy body.
- I found that something was wrong with my child’s eyesight. The doctor diagnosed it as ametropic amblyopi.
Personal Health Problems
- On Christmas day, I was feeling dizzy and [at the hospital] I was told I had gastroenteritis.
- I felt weak and couldn’t get up. I felt very sleepy when I worked. I had nausea. I found myself spaced out sitting in my car at a parking lot.
- It felt as if a little electricity was running in my body all the time and I couldn’t figure out how to do simple tasks.
- I went shopping and I couldn’t remember what I was doing, and stood in the store for hours… I couldn’t make decisions. I didn’t know what I was doing.
- I took one month off from work, but my symptoms just got worse.
Community’s Health Problems
- My friend who works at the water company told me that they detected cesium in beef stew in May, and all the children who drank milk threw up in September, and so on. They are told not to tell those stories.
- I’m certain that the number of people who got sick rose. The number of funerals rose, too — totally healthy people suddenly died of heart attack and so on.
Plants and Wildlife
- From the 15th to the 25th of March , I evacuated to my relative’s house in Gunma prefecture. I remember the eerie feeling I had when I saw Mt. Akagi was yellow. Later I heard that cedar pollen grows big when exposed to radiation.
- My family grows all the vegetables we eat at home and they love to feed them to my child. I saw disfigured dandelions around our fields. 50 to 60 plants grew at one spot and their stems were all put together into one gigantic wide stem, with huge, huge flowers. It was very weird. I had never seen anything like that. Tons of millet suddenly grew in the fields. It never happened before. Disfigured vegetables appeared.
- I brought our disfigured vegetables to the municipal office for radiation testing. I was yelled at there, “Don’t you understand? We say it’s safe! Mothers must not act like that!” They never tested my vegetables.
- A person who hatches beetle larvae every year said all the beetles were disfigured and died.
See also: Gundersen: Mutations in plants being reported after chronic Fukushima exposure -- Professor: Mutant flowers found in Fukushima -- Biologist: "Gigantic leaves, seeds very big" after nuclear disaster (VIDEO)
Published: December 16th, 2015 at 11:23 am ET
- Report: NHK starting to broadcast truth — Large increase in brain tumors and cancers near nuke plant — “Everyone died. Just I’m alive. It’s killing me.” says 18 year old — Gov’t kept telling them ICRP says safe December 31, 2011
- Japan Paper: “Horses became weak and died, one by one, from an unknown cause” at farm in Fukushima — Farmer: “There is something seriously wrong going on… This country is going mad, I‘m sure something grave is going to happen” — 14 out of 15 newborn horses died last year (PHOTOS) June 15, 2014
- TV: “Many young people in Fukushima who are in high school have died suddenly”; Officials “ignore all the problems” — Former Mayor: People are always told “any disease they have is not caused by radiation” (VIDEO) January 17, 2014
- Inside Source: Gov’t officials are withholding Fukushima radiation data — Levels much higher than expected — Releasing numbers would “have a huge impact” March 25, 2014
- Nature: People have ‘radiophobia’ if they believe food from Fukushima is not safe — “Japan kept people safe from the physical effects of radiation” January 16, 2013