Fukushima Teacher Muzzled on Radiation Risks for School Children, Bloomberg by Takahiko Hyuga, July 28, 2011:
[... O]n a recent July morning, school children in Fukushima prefecture were taking off their masks and running around playgrounds in T-shirts, exposing them to a similar amount of annual radiation as a worker in a nuclear power plant.
Toshinori Shishido, a Japanese literature teacher of 25 years, had warned his students two months ago to wear surgical masks and keep their skin covered with long-sleeved shirts. His advice went unheeded, not because of the weather but because his school told him not to alarm students. Shishido quit this week.
“I want to get away from this situation where I’m not even allowed to alert children about radiation exposure,” said Shishido, a 48-year-old teacher who taught at Fukushima Nishi High School. [...]
Kiyoharu Furukawa, 57, assistant principal at Fukushima Nishi High: “I don’t think the children are safe either, and I know the radiation level is still high… These days, they are wearing short sleeves and no masks.”
Published: July 28th, 2011 at 12:07 pm ET
- Teacher: “I’m lying to a room full of students” — Fukushima City should be evacuated August 24, 2012
- Fukushima TV news host quits after becoming pregnant — Had reported Fukushima was safe: “Children ate cherries even without washing them” November 18, 2011
- “Please share — Save children”: 21.44 µSv/h measured at Koriyama school as students walk by — 60 km from meltdowns (VIDEO) November 5, 2011
- Prime Minister’s former adviser: Gov’t worsened radiation exposure — Says thyroid cancer expected in children from Fukushima and nearby prefectures June 11, 2011
- Bloomberg: “Everyone is being bitten by invisible snakes that will eventually kill them” says professor visiting Fukushima July 28, 2011