Title: 12 miles of dead squid wash ashore
Author: Kiet Do; Brandie Piper
Date: Dec 11, 2012
12 miles of dead squid wash ashore
[...] The beaches of Santa Cruz County are littered with carcasses of thousands of Humboldt squid. They’ve stranded themselves from Aptos to Watsonville, a span of 12 miles.
“You just see them essentially killing themselves and it’s just really weird to see,” said Hannah Rosen with Hopkins Marine Station. [...]
Researchers have no idea why this is happening, but they think it’s because the squid have eaten toxic algae.
“It’s possible that the squid are ingesting either these neurotoxins or they’re getting it through their food, and that could be causing them to be disoriented and swim onto the beach,” said Rosen. [...]
This is the third stranding in six weeks.
“It’s really an exploratory time for us, so we’re learning more about what causes these strandings, and whether or not we should be worried about them or if it’s just a natural part of the squid cycle,” said Rosen.
Published: December 12th, 2012 at 12:47 pm ET
- “Weird things” happening on California coast: Previously unknown toxic algae blooms proliferating; Unprecedented mass of oxygen-poor water near shore — TV: Mystery strandings of large squid covered miles and experts baffled… “essentially killing themselves, it’s just really weird” (VIDEO) December 9, 2013
- TV: “Researchers say massive decline of fish is throwing off ecosystem” along California coast — Expert: “Population has truly collapsed”… They’re gone virtually everywhere — Whale numbers dropping significantly, squid disappearing, other major die-offs seen (VIDEO) November 3, 2015
- CNN: Scientists puzzled as rare ‘sea monsters’ wash ashore in Southern California — Expert: 2 giant oarfish and saber-toothed whale in a week… “What is going on?” (VIDEO) October 19, 2013
- NBC: Sea creatures swarming ashore from San Diego to San Fran. — CBS: Millions of dead blanketing miles of coastline, “like a red carpet… 12-16 inches thick… never seen anything like this” — ABC: We wonder if they’re sick, or it’s something in ocean? Scientists don’t have an explanation (PICS & VIDEO) June 19, 2015
- Dead sea creatures “covering the sand with a sea of red” on California beach; Witnesses: “Bazillions of crab-like things washed ashore… I’ve never seen these before, it’s incredible” — ‘Glow in the dark’ organisms recently stranded nearby; Official: “No one here has ever seen it!” (VIDEO) March 23, 2015