Paraphrased translation provided by N.K., a concerned citizen in Japan
What follows is a summary of a series blog posts about mysterious radioactive black materials found in and around Minami-Soma City, Fukushima Prefecture, about 25km from the plant.
Black materials looking like sand or powder were found in the Haramachi-ku area of Minami-Soma City.
A similar substance was also found in nearby Soma City.
The materials can reportedly be found many places in Minami-Soma city and Soma city areas.
Here are several recent measurements:
- 901 cpm: gamma ray only, with WT Plate, 1cm above GND
- 13,380 cpm: gamma + beta + alpha, without WTP, 1cm above GND
- 10,330 cpm: gamma + beta + alpha, with XEROX paper, 1cm above GND
This means that XEROX paper cuts off 3,050 cpm alpha-ray, so the quite strong alpha-ray is radiated from the materials.
Feb. 4: The materials could not be found at Fukushima City, 60km from the plant. Only gamma-ray were strong.
- Gamma-ray: 959 cpm
- Gamma + beta + alpha: 2,146 cpm
- gamma-ray: 3,274 cpm
- gamma + beta + alpha: 18,370 cpm
Radiation of the black materials were very strong when compared to the normal-colored sand. The materials have unbelievable beta + alpha.
- gamma + beta + alpha: 31,680 cpm, without the paper
- gamma + beta + alpha: 24,450 cpm, with the paper
- 11.53 micro S/h: gamma-ray only, without paper
- 17.56 micro S/h: gamma + beta, without paper
- 16.98 micro S/h: gamma + beta, with paper
See more photos by following the links above
Published: February 12th, 2012 at 9:22 pm ET
- UPDATE: Original mystery black substance was never tested — Much more radioactive than official’s black dust — Detector shows 95,880 cpm — Up to 60,000 cpm in beta — New alpha info February 17, 2012
- HCR: Mystery black radioactive powder detected outside school — Local official posts 3 videos of black substance (PHOTO & VIDEOS) February 24, 2012
- Mystery black substance has 1,000,000+ Bq/kg of cesium — Seen all over Minami Soma — Officials meeting to discuss findings February 16, 2012
- Mystery Continues: Original 295 microSv/h black substance remains untested — Locals getting suspicious? February 19, 2012
- Alpha radiation detected on school street in Minamisoma (VIDEO) March 19, 2012