Published: December 30th, 2012 at 3:16 pm ET

Watch the video here

Title: Local Sailors Sue Japanese Utility Over Radiation
Source:  NBC 7 San Diego
Date: Dec 29, 2012
h/t Raw Story

Transcript Excerpts

Lindsay Cooper, crew member of the U.S.S. Ronald Reagan during Operation Tomadachi: I’m not what I used to be. My body’s not what it used to be while I was in the Navy. I’m having weight issues. My thyroid isn’t what it used to be. Digestive issues are a big issue that are common with radiation exposure.

Reporter: Lindsay Cooper says she’s been having digestive issues, migraines and problems focusing since she was exposed to radiation [...]

Kim Gieseking, crew member of the U.S.S. Ronald Reagan during Operation Tomadachi: I have degenerative disks all over my back and I was healthy before all of this.

Published: December 30th, 2012 at 3:16 pm ET

1. Video: Navy sailors use no masks when scrubbing radioactive particles on USS Ronald Reagan after 3/11 — CNN: “The idea here is all about safety” December 29, 2012
  2. TV: 70 Navy sailors in new Fukushima lawsuit — They rode right into plume, could be thousands more seriously exposed — 1 or 2 sick could be coincidence, but 50-60 people in their 20s off one ship? Variety of cancers, blindness, impotence (VIDEO) December 19, 2013
  3. Report: What is going on at Daiichi? Fukushima fallout increased Nov. 2-4 — Highest back-to-back days in months (CHARTS) November 5, 2012
  4. Wife of Navy Sailor: Our 1-year-old has brain cancer and spinal cancer resulting from Fukushima exposure — Wheelchair-bound Navy Sailor: It’s now affecting my arms and my hands, everything is still progressing (AUDIO) March 19, 2014
  5. Navy Sailors After Fukushima: They’ve got leukemia, testicular cancer, growths… They’ve had surgery to remove brain lesions and lost sight in eye (VIDEO) February 11, 2013

64 comments to U.S. Navy Sailors on TV: “I’m not what I used to be… my thyroid’s not what it used to be” since 3/11 — “Degenerative disks all over my back… I was healthy before all of this” (VIDEO)

• Breakdown of decontamination onboard the ship; what was done, what should have been done according to decontamination protocol:

When there is a chance of nuclear fallout you assume worst case scenario until proven otherwise. Geigers alarming from the sailors clothing should have been an indication. If you are wrong, you have lost nothing. But if there was fallout and decontamination/mitigation isnt done properly, then you have people bleeding out of their asses a year or so later. Like we have now :/

• I did a show talking about my medical problems 6 weeks ago. I would rather not have talked about it but yeah, Ive been bleeding out of my ass too, since April 13, 2011. And I have been tested and shown to have massive Iodine 131 exposure and ZIRCONIUM from a FUEL ROD FIRE. And I live in MICHIGAN. Unfortunately I was also outside the first 3 weeks after Fuku blew. I was recently diagnosed with Hashimotos — my thyroid is now attacking itself. Had 3 recent surgeries for abcesses, 2 in my mouth, one on my leg. My immune system is shutting down. And I am 43.

• Cataclysmic Cataclysmic

oh girl.. I am so sorry. Really, heart broken for you. Thank you for sharing. Damn.

Your words of "pull their heads out of their asses" still resonate with me. You are a hero.

• PavewayIII PavewayIII

Did your doctor offer you either Iodine or Prussian blue? They both have some (not much) post-exposure benefit for the three or four weeks following the last exposure. Military doctors should know that, but I doubt few civilian ones have any idea.

• By the time I saw the simulations and put two-and-two together it was too late for any intervention besides Iodine tincture — but ya know, not sure it is such a big help in such a bad situation anyway.

MD's have no training in this whatsoever since the cold war ended and the possibility of us getting 'nuked' diminished. Even the radiation oncologists of today know very little about nuclear fallout.

• PavewayIII PavewayIII

The scraps I remember from army medic training on triaging nuclear casualties thirty years ago amounts to more than most doctors seem to know.

We were taught very specific markers for exposure – the primary ones were all related to a well-known absolute measure: any appreciable radiation exposure *always* starts a wave of white blood cell death that continues for about a week after exposure. Your white blood cell counts recover for about a week or two, then can have a secondary drop. If your stem cells were not fried, then they slowly kick in and your WBC returns to normal (weeks – months). Platelets tank after about a month before recovering.

Just about all the non-acute radiation symptoms involve inflammation to or bugs getting through mucous membranes -or- bleeding -or- fatigue. We were trained not to worry too much about them (on a nuclear battlefield) – just throw them on the chopper. Vomiting or CNS symptoms *within* five hours after exposure was bad. After that, it didn't matter.

Funny that a lot of the chronic problems people have after low-level exposure are the exact same ones medics were trained to expect in the cold war.

• jec jec

Where did you get radiation testing? That is important info!

• NoNukes NoNukes

Eyechix,

I am so sorry for what you have been going through! I have had sciatic pain, from a degenerative disk, since September 2012. I would love to get tested, I am in California. I'm sure the majority of us in the Northern Hemisphere are contaminated by now, it is still coming down. When I called labs last year, no one would agree to test, one guaranteed that the results would be negative, so if you are able to post your lab, I would appreciate it.

• I had a Bioacoustics test done on-air with Sharry Edwards who is a pioneer in this technology. What shocked me almost more is that she knew from the acoustic scan I had nerve damage in my back and severe fibromyalgia, before we even got to the contamination part. She also said I had a hidden infection which showed up a month later in the form of multiple teeth and leg abcesses and a severe case of pneumonia. This type of testing is done on US soldiers as well for DU, etc, some of them Sharry has conducted.

Here is her website: http://www.soundhealthinc.com/

Everything is FREQUENCY related and based on 30 years of research. Sharry also does studies for NIH.

I believe on Tuesdays she has a call-in where you can have this done in real-time for free. I had her on my show and she did a few other hosts on air and nailed every medical problem they had.
        When I told my doc about the results he wanted $3,000 of bloodwork to confirm. I had the lab print out for me exactly what they would be testing for, none of them were the elements I needed. I saw another doc that gave me the name of a lab that will do hair testing for about $150, but zirconium will not be confirmed by this either. He laughed at the bloodwork, heavy metals testing is not the same as nuclear fallout testing, but my doc had ordered it anyway even though I don't have insurance :/

• VanneV anne

TY, eyechix, for this information.

• NoNukes NoNukes

Wow, that is amazing, eyechix! I will pursue it. Thank you so much for being so open. It is what it will take for change.

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's about 6 years ago. Have they already put you on replacement thyroid? I am asking because I have regret about taking replacement thyroid myself, they say it is the same but it is not. The thyroid shrinks, and the synthetic does not replace all of its function.

If I were to do it again, I would do everything to bring the inflammation in the body down first. When I stopped eating gluten/wheat my thyroid antibodies went from 660 to 89. I would cut out inflammatory foods like wheat and dairy, and add pectin to remove some of the cesium and sodium alignate/kelp for some of the strontium 90 and Liposomal Vitamin C, etc….you know this, I am saying it for myself too, need to find myself some brown seaweed/sodium alignate for the Sr 90…anyone have a good source?

It is heartbreaking that you and your daughters have so much more pain. I know of a teenager who had a bizarre infection/abscess in his elbows last year, the CDC, etc. got involved because it multiplied so rapidly and wouldn't go away. A (previously) healthy athlete out in the rain a lot.

I looked for a lab that would test and found one in Hungry and one in Germany before getting sidetracked. I will look again.

• razzz razzz

You have to be so careful now with supplements like when using kelp since it bio-accumulates fallout in Japan, the US West Coast, European waters, anywhere it grows in the Northern Hemisphere. Try Amazon and read the customer comments about supplements and purity.

I have two 15' tall juniper trees that are browning everywhere. Usually a very hearty and healthy green. Don't know how sensitive they are to fallout. I'm in San Diego.

• +1

"EVERYTHING is frequency…" – eyechix

good info!

• richard richard

That's why it's called the uni verse, it's one song. Frequency, vibration, spirals that's the medium.

I often wonder why humans have such an amazing ability to sing, with so much strength, subelty and resolution. There's something going on there

• VanneV anne

eyechix,
      I'm really sorry about your health problems. I hope you get better soon.

• Heart of the Rose Heart of the Rose

Degenerative discs..or the effects of radiation absorbtion(strontium) in the bones?

This is one of the reasons for the chelation…mentioned by others in the complaint.

• aigeezer aigeezer

The cover photo in this NBC link is precisely the same one used in the WSJ article the other day. No photo credit to the US Navy this time though, but the handout seems to be going the rounds in the media.

This is a very orchestrated story, which doesn't make it true or false… just… weird.

• markww markww

EYCHIX we are standing with your > Do you have any readings as to the dosage levels you were exposed too after your tests?

Is there anything we can do to help you? and anyone you know.

Thyroid MeSo soup that is the first thing i would do to start cleaning the thyroid out. Spinach green vegetables and Vitamins for women. IN FACT if you look at Diabetic vitamins they are reinforced with lots more percentages. Natures way. Look at vitacost.com its a vitamin company beats the store prices and see what you can do. There is a Doctor who specializes on Cancers and other diseases I have to look him up.

HIS WEB SITE http://cancernaturalcure.com/about1.htm

At the bottom of his page here is his email

drjerryleehoovernd@yahoo.com

see if he can help you and the crew members

MARKWW retired Fire Safety Captain

LET ME KNOW IF HE GETS BACK TO YOU

• Mark at first the only indication I had was a strong metallic taste in my mouth for about 10 days. Working in retinal research I knew this was not a good sign, especially when I saw it was also being reported all over the Pacific Northwest. I knew very little about fallout then, but I sure have learned alot since. I'm not the only person in my family who has been sick, either. 3 of my 4 daughters had bleeding issues last summer, in fact on one day 3 of us had massive nosebleeds (July 2011). One kid got a burn on her arm in the rain which was biopsied and proven to be A BURN. Her cesium test came back neg and the biopsy test was not done to test for radiation/particles even though I had asked for it. I appreciate your kindness. I eat really well, everything from scratch, take vitamins, etc…but despite that and having good genes this has really kicked my ass bigtime.

• razzz razzz

eyechix: There are clinics outside the US for natural cures i.e. fasting, temporary healing food diets, etc., where here in the US doctors finds these remedies illegal, more like in competition with the medical industry.

These 'clinics' are usual patronized by the terminally ill that have exhausted all modern typical and experimental medical remedies, a last hope in their depleted conditions.

Sometimes the simplest things are the best. Not eating might be a start, as the body goes into a healing mode on an 'empty' stomach or turns to other duties when not digesting foods. Morning fast, 24 hours fast, 3 day fast, juice fast, fruit fast…make one up to suit your needs, all can be of little inconvenience in a short duration. Even distilled water is a wonderful chelation agent (real water from do it yourself distillation). And you always need some water, to keep flushing your cleansing system. Certain foods or liquids assist in cleansing as would be an enema, sometimes mud baths, sweat, etc.

Backed in to a corner, sometimes you will try anything. Kids are a bit different as their bodies continue to grow and you have to know what you are doing after they break a fast, cravings are for sweets, avoid manufactured sugars, look for fruits themselves not the concentrates.

Bottled or pilled minerals are pretty much worthless to the point of being toxic. Mostly the body needs amino acids. An oversupply of natural elements prevents analogue uptakes.

• markww markww

EYECHIC Try the email of the doctor and I know what HELL you have gone through. No one could have seen the damage and things BUT we re here for you and others I hope and pray we can all find some help. I know allot of people read these blogs and will be at your side too as well.

Let me know if you need anything

Markww

• Jebus Jebus

So, where was the USSRR on 3/11/2011?
    When did it arrive <12 miles offshore?

• markww markww

Jebus USSR like the USA AT FIRST japan said no we do not need you cause of them tarting to cover up the disaster. THEIR PRIDE IN JAPAN IS WE DO IT ALL OUR SELF

They refused everyone that is the MIND OF JAPAN and now the whole world suffers cause of their way of life and their people.

MARKWW

• PavewayIII PavewayIII

It's have been doing some kind of exercise just off of Korea (other side of Japan in the Sea of Japan or East China Sea. It was ordered to the coast off of Sendai after the earthquake, mostly as a gas station for Japanese helicopters doing search and rescue. The carrier was eventually allowed to send in some U.S. choppers.

THAT placement seems odd in itself. Hey, the Americans want to help. Tell them to go to the Fukushima plume… er, Sendai… and gas up our choppers.

They must have been there by the 12th. I never heard of the 12mi distance. That would make sense if they're gassing up Japanese helicopters, but the Navy also made statements (FOIA transcripts) that they were aware of the potential plume. They knew to stay 25 miles away from Fukushima (radius) and away from a possible plume path extending to the NW a hundred miles.

• razzz razzz

PavewayIII: What do you know about sky and ground shine? I can't find a definitive answer. My best guess is rays trapped or bouncing off water molecules in the air and returning to the ground. Sorta like xrays caught in an inversion zone but a never ending bouncing and ricocheting in massive harmful quantities. Such would happen from un-contained nuclear fuel burning. Contained in water, it wouldn't happen. Thanks

• PavewayIII PavewayIII

According to the NRC transcripts, probably. No idea what that meant precisely in terms of their position to the NW plume line though.

Speculation: They may have been closer to Sendai at one point specifically to keep away from the NW line, and then had to move E (through it) when they detected radiation. That would have been a better choice than North (the new wind direction and with the plume) or South (putting them within the 25 mi radius from the plant). Just guessing though.

The Navy doesn't publish anything like position reports of it's nuclear fleet for obvious reasons.

Neither does TEPCO, I guess. But the aerial photographs clearly show some of it's 'fleet' was repositioned to the roof of the turbine building and parking lot.

• PavewayIII PavewayIII

Can anyone see this map:

It's suppose to be goo.gl for the shortened links to Google Maps – it's not a NSA trojan (that I know of).

• aigeezer aigeezer

Yes, PavewayIII. It shows up on my screen as a map of Japan with the fascinating caption "USS Reagan Steer-Clear Area Guidance
        As described on FOIA Transcript".

You've been busy!

Do you have to kill me now that I've viewed it? ;-)

• PavewayIII PavewayIII

Kill you? Naw. But my boss says I have to finish reading everything we just sucked off your hard drive before I can go home. You seem pretty boring so far, so I'm calling back the drone.

So that primitive, painful-to-produce Google Map graphic is what I think they're describing. I still can't figure out where they were initially, but they seemed to have evaded the moving plume once, and possibly re positioned a day or two later to be south of it. The plume didn't follow the 45-degree projection – the wind was pushing it all over the NE quadrant.

I was kind of confused what the captain knew or was thinking during all of this. I found this incredible shaky video someone took of a speaker on the Reagan during one of the captain's announcements. Props to Chrystal Coleman of Occupy San Diego on Facebook for the link. The intertubes are truly amazing.

I'll explain some of the jibber-jabber later.

• aigeezer aigeezer

PavewayIII, I'm left wondering if that video is a spoof – the voice persona seems inappropriately young to my ears, and the content perhaps a caricaturisation, yet still very plausible somehow. At first I thought the bulkhead/speaker image was evidence of a phony set, but on reflection figured it could be a forbidden phone-cam held discreetly.

I love the irony of "I'm not exactly sure what our mission is" and "we got some of that activity in our ventilation".

I found some bumpf on Circle William on the Net and it seems to be as you describe:

"Circle WILLIAM fittings, like WILLIAM fittings, are normally open, but are secured for protection in attack. Circle WILLIAM fittings are marked with a black W in a black circle."

The urban dictionary offers a more grotesque description that somehow seems to match a military person's worldview… but I digress.

Seems odd that the captain would have to explain it in his talk, but not impossible.

On and on. Fascinating, but is it the real thing? If it was captured on a forbidden phone cam (or whatever), then on the one hand can such things be done so easily and get past "security" or on the other hand why aren't there many many more of them leaking out from disgruntled military people everywhere?

Keep on digging – it's interesting stuff for sure.

• aigeezer aigeezer

PavewayIII, on reflection and after listening to the vid again, I withdraw my comment about the captain's persona seeming too young (I'm just so old that everybody seems too young). I think it was the "aw shucks" folksiness that fooled me, but that's probably a good quality to have for leading kids into hell.

The skipper cares – he wants us to chow down before he shuts off all our ventilation. Wotta guy – I'll follow him anywhere!

• PavewayIII PavewayIII

First thing I though too – who's this kid on the squawk-box?

Second though: "…I'm not exactly sure what our mission will be…" Ahhh. Brings back many fond memories of the military. Nice to see it hasn't changed much.

And to your point about the real thing – It's the internet. For all anyone knows, *I* made those videos up. Critical thinking and common sense are still required in the crazy house – everyone has an agenda.

• PavewayIII PavewayIII

Maybe CB or some former sailor can help with circle william. I think it means "Close the damn windows" that are marked with a 'W' in a circle on a ship.

Also found this other speaker-vid. The water they were in was so radioactive that it contaminated the ship's fresh water tanks. I guess they desalinate sea water on the spot for fresh water. They had to dump their tanks and move to uncontaminated sea water further North to refill. They were worried about their fellow ships water being contaminated, too. Those other ships were fairly big – like destroyers or such.

Didn't radioactive water wake Godzilla up in the first movie?

• aigeezer aigeezer

Another interesting vid, PavewayIII. Thanks!

"We may have the only good water in the strike group".

For anyone focused on the "noble rescue effort" media theme of the story, a little reminder that these rescuers normally describe themselves as a "strike group" not a "rescue group".

Where, who and when they will strike remains to be seen. I hope it isn't thee or me. Thanks for recalling the drone, by the way – I actually did lose a hard drive yesterday – coincidence, I'm sure. ;-)

• CB CB

A good image of typical ventilation systems about the skin of the ship. http://goo.gl/U53dG

• TheBigPicture TheBigPicture

Everyone in Japan and America were exposed. And countries beyond. Good luck.

• aigeezer aigeezer

Jebus, do you mean the David Piper clip? It struck me as straight propaganda. Should I be focused on a specific point around 01:10?

It did plant the seed that Japan did not give out enough information, but that seemed to jar with the main theme that the noble American rescuers had saved the day. It's hard to see how they can have it both ways: Japan wouldn't let them in, withheld information blah blah yet they rescued everything, saved the day, forged new bonds, were welcomed blah blah.

The two propaganda agendas tend to collide, leaving the truth in some muddy middle ground – from my perspective.

• homeenergyexpert homeenergyexpert

To the Navy men and women and anyone in Japan fallout in need to prove law suit damages, here is easily proof! The disc problem, when you are exposed to radiation the normal disc substance is replaced with a fatty substance. It is easily verifiable by MRI. Been there, done that, and it weakens your spine. Courts love films and the spine is easy to show to a jury.

• AGreenRoad AGreenRoad

It is much like gangsters beating each other up. They may soon be sending out hit squads on each other, so that can have more territory and money for themselves. The only honor among thieves and murderers is thievery and assassination.

The 1% don't care about anyone or anything other than themselves.

Once the 'sacred' military is harmed or lied to, you have just pissed off the 1% and the whole Conservative army of armchair warriors.

Watch out, as this force is the 14th man on the football team. They can raise quite a rucus and cause all kinds of fumbles and missed calls.

Watch for more small 'leaks' in the mostly controlled and 'programmed' mass media that may have unintended consequences…

• dosdos dosdos

Don't forget the huge amount of Xenon isotopes released. It was many times greater than any other of the other isotopes. Nothing stops it from getting everywhere, other than a hermetic seal.

• markww markww

IF YOU IN THE NAVY WANT MY INPUT AS FIRE AND SAFETY OFFICER I WORKED FOR NASA AND THE REGULAR FIRE DEPARTMENT AND SAFETY FOR YEARS. I WILL HELP YOU IN HELPING YOU WITH WHAT I KNOW TO HELP YOU

EYECHICK THIS GOES FOR YOU TOO AS WELL

here is my email address

markwiderstorm@aol.com

MARKWW

• Cataclysmic Cataclysmic

Related sorta, sorry if ot.. I have been digging around in budgets and I am focused on costs these days..thought this was might interesting.. especially how much is spent on the erectile dysfunction..

"The analysis found, for example, that the Defense Department has spent more than $5 billion since 2002 on well-known drugs Lipitor, Plavix, Advair, Nexium and Singulair, as well as $380 million on erectile dysfunction drugs.

The military also spent at least $2.7 billion on antidepressants and more than $1.6 billion on opioid painkillers such as Oxycontin and hydrocodone during the same period.

The growth has been a boon for pharmaceutical companies as well. Pfizer Inc. led the way with more than $8 billion in sales through the Department of Defense since 2002."

• aigeezer aigeezer

Interesting find, Cataclysmic. I won't touch the tempting ED part, but I guess one next step would be to compare the numbers to other groups of people and to the public at large. It's not surprising that the raw numbers are high – the DoD runs a huge operation, after all, but if use is dramatically different from other comparable population groups it could shed some light on things. For instance, do they (hypothetically) have a drug-addled workforce, or a chronically-depressed workforce?

At a straight dollar-amount level, there is obvious potential for friends in high places to help other friends in high places get large contracts.

The deeper we look the deeper it gets.