NBC: Japan tsunami debris may be impacting U.S. food supply (VIDEO)

Published: December 12th, 2012 at 2:13 pm ET

Title: Troubling signs in paradise
Source: NBCNews
Author: Miguel Almaguer
Date: December 11, 2012

Last month we showed you what [the wave of debris coming ashore in the U.S. after the tsunami in Japan is] doing to one of the most spectacular coastlines in this country, creating the world’s dirtiest beach in the big island in Hawaii. Tonight from the same spot, the impact it’s having on wildlife and perhaps next on our food supply [...]

Published: December 12th, 2012 at 2:13 pm ET

1. Professor: Japan’s radioactive crops being shipped to cleaner areas and mixed into food supply? (VIDEO) December 18, 2012
  2. RTT: Japan alerts U.S. and Canada on possible clogging of shorelines — CNN: Tsunami debris makes its way into Hawaii wildlife… Plastic spilling out of stomach (VIDEO) March 15, 2013
  3. TV: Very concerned about radioactive contamination on tsunami debris heading to U.S. and Canada — Floated through worst of Fukushima fallout — Will not wash off (VIDEO) March 15, 2013
  4. Huge increase in tsunami debris for U.S. and Canada on the way — Still over 100 times more to reach coast over next few months (VIDEO) November 11, 2012
  5. Wall St. Journal: Fukushima leaks are “massive public health issue” — Obviously this could spread throughout Pacific and get into food supply (VIDEO) August 6, 2013

29 comments to NBC: Japan tsunami debris may be impacting U.S. food supply (VIDEO)

• Cataclysmic Cataclysmic

why do I want to laugh at NBC aka GE???

Might??

bhahahahahah.. go have some sushi Mr. Almaguer.. if you dare.

• How about in our food and water supplies… right NOW?

What's being done about that Mr. Williams and Mr. Almaguer?

;) Aren't journalists supposed to ask questions?

• Cataclysmic Cataclysmic

Geez Chas,right here.. and within days of fuku, so can't say they didn't act quickly ;)
      "Submitted by Anonymous on Tue, 2011-03-29 08:41 Berkeley Radiological Air and Water Monitoring Forum
      The EPA is at it again, they now want to change the "safe" limits of exposure to humans. The EPA wants to raise "Protective Action Guides" (PAG's) to levels vastly higher than those at which they are currently set allowing for more radioactive contamination of the environment and the general public.

"According to PEER (Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility, the new standards would drastically raise the levels of radiation allowed in food, water, air, and the general environment. PEER, a national organization of local, state, and federal employees who had access to internal EPA emails, claims that the new standards will result in a “nearly 1000-fold increase for exposure to strontium-90, a 3000 to 100,000-fold hike for exposure to iodine-131; and an almost 25,000 rise for exposure to radioactive nickel-63? in drinking water. This information, as well as the emails themselves were published by Collapsenet on March 24.

In addition to raising the level of permissible radiation in the environment, PEER suggests that the standards of cleanup after a radioactive emergency will actually be reduced. As a result, radioactive cleanup thresholds will be vastly lowered and, by default, permissible levels of radiation will be vastly increased in this manner as well."

• PavewayIII PavewayIII

Regardless of what the EPA criminals publish, Japanese supermarkets will continue to reject food from California's Imperial Valley because it contains TOO MUCH radiation. All those rich people in California, and nobody want's to spring fifty grand for a real spectrometer operated outside the influence of our government.

That perfectly safe strontium, cesium, plutonium, etc. should be well into the winter crops' root zones by now. Every drop of Colorado River water will add more.

Of course the EPA is going to raise the limits. If people refuse to eat irradiated food (Japanese standards, not the EPAs), then your going to have food riots. Nobody blinked an eye when last year's I-131 lettuce and spinach shipped out of the Imperial Valley farms. Why would knuckle-dragger Americans care about a little plutonium now?

What you can't measure doesn't exist. If you're relying on the FDA or EPA to measure for you, then you deserve all the safety your going to get.

• Cataclysmic Cataclysmic

Funny thing, even when measured above our "limits" it is still sold at the supermarket.. so limits are silly things for the sheeple.

Remember.. milk 150% of the new improved rad limits still being sold at the grocery store..according to UC Berkely(last year), and I really laugh when people say, "I still drink milk, I drink organic" hahsahaha, it was organic that was measured.. and hey, doesn't organic mean it eats the grass, so how are they protected from toxic radiation by only consuming organic?? Fools.

Bioaccumulation sucks.

• vital1 vital1

It is obvious you can't rely on Governments. Unless citizens on mass step up and demand that the governments do the right thing, nothing will change?

We need to inform people on mass, and do the testing ourselves. Here are some free tools to do both.

Get the message out there on how serious the Fukushima nuclear disaster is quickly, and efficiently. You don’t need to explain anything just distribute the lifesaver.pdf (or create your own), hand it out, mailbox it, or email it.

Free Geiger Counter Use Guide.

DIY Food testing lab Guide

For those who can't afford this type of test equipment "The Food Lab", has a list of the latest international reports of food contamination.

• Johnny Blade Johnny Blade

I guess maybe I shouldn't hang out here anymore since I didn't even have a basic geiger counter until a month or so ago and having relied on EPA Radnet data & other deficient sources of info including the only 2 civilian(?)-run radiation testing venues available allows my wife to be added to a list of those "deserving" the cancers & death or "safety" they get??!! I rarely comment about anybody else's BS opinions or comments,but I found that final sentence of an otherwise accurate and helpful post on this thread to be particularly offensive and unlike its author-I wouldn't wish what she's going through on ANYONE else except for those responsible for poisoning the planet! Obviously they haven't gone through chemo,radiation,surgery & day after day Dr. appointments that others they decided "deserve" have…maybe karma will come into play for the author although I still wouldn't say they "deserved" it….if that is the consensus & attitude prevalent here these days then count me out?! PEACE

• vital1 vital1

Johnny Blade,
            Everyone here has been on a learning curve, none of use were truly aware of what we should have been doing to protect ourselves, and our families.

Most of us trusted the authorities to provide truthful information, and it is only in hind site that it became apparent they couldn't be relied on.

You can only do what you felt was best with the information that was available to you at the time.

• amberlight amberlight

Johnny, it's sooo easy to judge others when you aren't in their predicament. We get labelled "fools" and told we deserve what we get. Well, maybe they're right on both counts—since I refuse to leave California while my grandchildren are still here—but it's not in their place to point a finger at others. Don't let the aspersions bring you down. You need to be in a good place for your wife's sake. Prayers for both of you.

• NoNukes NoNukes

Johnny Blade,

In the U.S., we have all been inhaling so much aerosolized plutonium, etc., for so long that it is beyond our ability to control, we can't stop breathing, and hotspots turn up in the most unpredictable places. Massachusetts was a hotspot after nuclear testing, and Chernobyl, and had some of the highest levels early on after Fukushima. The responsibility and guilt for so much suffering and death lies elsewhere, with the people who have lied to us for decades about their plutonium factories that are net consumers of energy.

• PavewayIII PavewayIII

That's not the consensus here by any means, JB. That's my own opinion and I stand by it. I'm sorry you choose to interpret my words as "deserve death". I specifically wrote "…If you're relying on the FDA or EPA to measure for you, then you deserve all the safety your going to get…" In other words, you can't rely on the FDA or EPA to provide for you or your family's safety.

You and your wife made *no* such conscious, informed decision to rely on the FDA or EPA for your safety in the past. You did what we all did – assume the government isn't totally evil and would draw the line somewhere when it came to the health and well-being of people. We were wrong, not complicit.

My statement also says nothing about individuals here being personally responsible for measuring radiation accurately because they can't. Geiger counters give you a fuzzy little picture of environmental radiation. Better than nothing, and probably better than the EPA, but not good enough.

• Johnny Blade Johnny Blade

I know that after slowing down and stopping myself from trying to read between the lines where there wasn't anything implied.Sorry I got ahead of myself but I guess I've had to adapt to "deciphering" the same erratic,less than trustworthy "sources" whether MSM or govt. protective agencies so much I'm taking my only allies statements out of context-lol,sorry 'bout that,but in my own defense I was reminded of the same strong statement right here and I said it while frustrated that after nearly a year went by yet 9 of 10 people had to hear the WHOLE story because they'd never even heard of it and I felt like I was describing a movie trailer or telling people a scary "story" and I'd get the sense that they either thought I was nuts or pulling their leg and at any rate they'd forget about that Fookyookie fable about 30 seconds after I was gone anyways…for now that is.I hate to say it but they'll remember the name I spoke of the next time they hear it I'd bet?! Anyways I never used that word again to describe what fate should befall those who didn't know any better,didn't(won't)listen to anyone unless it was(is)"official" on NBC5 News,etc. because 2 days after the last time I'd suggested ANYONE "deserved" what radiation does-my wife was diagnosed with advanced Inflammatory Breast Cancer & was thought to be in remission at the time of her last post-op radiation treatment but things aren't going well & this story fired me up a little is all-it's all good…

• Johnny Blade Johnny Blade

I'm gonna hit the sack over here though since I'm rambling like a tweaker and I'm nearly as bad off as everyone else in the household with flu-like symptoms. There was a time when I would've just assumed and said "everybody in the house got the flu"-nowadays it's become a question(?) I think I need to sleep it off and put this crap day behind me. Take care ALL, Sorry again PavewayIII-no offense taken and none implied,please excuse my feverish brain fart? PEACE

• Sol Man

It was so much easier in days gone by, when all we had to worry about in our food supply was pesticides, herbicides, hydrazine micro droplets, diesel exhaust particulate, voc's from wherever, asbestos dust, arsenic, lead and so forth, and now we have to guard against becquerels, too! It is becoming very difficult.

• norbu norbu

wow, Complete ignorance. "may be impacting U.S. food supply" They have been on vacation for a while with BP.

• PhilipUpNorth PhilipUpNorth

Scientific research by independent researchers and self-funded university grad students/professors will continue to get the truth out to the American people. Nuke industry paid academic shills, and gagged nuke university profs and MSM will continue to talk about Fuku "leaks" and "small amounts" of radiation, but word is getting out, perhaps more rapidly than we realize. With radiation spreading everywhere, there are two kinds of people: The quick and the dead. The 'quick' read up on ENEnews, SimplyInfo, and other internet sites, keep up on developments, and have changed their eating habits. The 'dead' will continue to buy fresh California produce, Hawaii macadamia nuts, Washington apples, and Pacific seafood, at least until knowledge of the real dangers of Fuku radiation, and the extent of the radiation becomes common knowledge. In 20 years, the west coast farming industry will be dead, along with the Pacific seafood industry. Depression, anyone?

• omniversling

Economic? or psychological…?

• amberlight amberlight

Well, Philip, I must be the "dead" because I continue to buy and eat fresh California produce. I don't believe in having my food shipped over thousands of miles and anyway I can't afford it. By the way, can you point out a food source that is safe from nuclear contamination? I don't think so, not in North America.

I do the best I can, grow and buy organic and mostly from my local farmers market. At least I am not eating food poisoned by GMOs, herbicides and pesticides. We set up a greenhouse this year mainly because of Fukushima, and we also have a radiation filter on the kitchen faucet. Give thanks for the blessings of food and water and leave the rest in the hands of God.

If the spent fuel burns we'll bug out, but with grandchildren from L.A. to Oregon, we are not going to leave until they do!

• richard richard

won't get much help from the hands of a fictional character. but the rest of your plan sounds good, real action taking place there, nice.

• PhilipUpNorth PhilipUpNorth

"can you point out a food source that is safe from nuclear contamination?" Amberlight, I like a good California Chardonnay, like the 2004 Kendall Jackson Reserve they serve at my favorite restaurant. Yes, wine is too a food. Your greenhouse is a great idea, so long as your first crop was sunflowers to pull out some of the radiation, then were properly disposed of. The soil in the greenhouse won't be accumulating additional radiation from fallout as it circles the earth. Hothouse grown is now better than organic, if radiation is the only measure.

And your comment about "grandchildren" tells me you are older, and therefor a bit less subject to harm from the isotopes than your grandchildren are. In the end, enjoy your friends and family, enjoy the sunshine, and enjoy the rest of your life. But you and your entire family, from LA to Oregon, should be making plans to move.

Omniversling: Economic depression. The Pacific seafood industry is vast. When sales fall below costs, ports will be full of fishing boats for sale without buyers, and the canneries will all close. Japan is currently the third largest economy. In ten years, the only growth industry there will be health care, which will be overwhelmed with cancer patients. Fuku turned the steady decline in the Japanese population into a steeper decline that will go on and on. The economic problems caused by the population decline will become a long-term, endless depression.

• timemachine2020 timemachine2020

I was on the FORBES website reading an article and couldn't help but notice that every story and article on there says how fukushima will never kill anyone, and how they have reached some BS milestone for cleaning the leaking waters coming from the plants, nothing but lies is all they have on there, LOOK HERE

• PavewayIII PavewayIII

Forbes… The first picture that popped into my mind was that four-legged inspection robot TEPCO tried to use the other day. It flipped over while attempting to climb the first step in the torus room.

They later found the contraption on it's back and dragged it outside the room. It still had it's little metal front paws stretched out searching for the step, completely baffled why that step was no longer in front of it. I'm a lot more sympathetic to the little robot than Forbes – they can turtle until their batteries run out.

• Tom in AZ Tom in AZ

Wow. Followed your link to the Forbes search results. Now that is jaw dropping. Not really serving their constituents, unless it is to say that nuke stocks may be a value buy….

• PurpleRain PurpleRain

With all the shortage of jobs… and all the unemployed….the federal government should put a small fleet together and create thousands of federal jobs to clean all of that stuff OUT of the ocean! That would be the right thing to do for people and for the birds and environment. That would actually be the morally right thing to do too!

• Masterofmanythings

The Fukushima event is equal to genocide because of the way the world governments have hidden the truth from the people who could otherwise make changes in diet and life style to keep their children safe. I have just released a video to show everyone how to get every nrc document on Fukushima and all other issues globally. There are 100's of thousands of documents that the public could access legally but the door to that hallway has been hidden. heres the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4UbNP4xDvc everyone who ia able should download all the dox before the site gets scrubbed.Also more info on my website via radiation updates page http://www.masterofmanythings.com/radiation_updates.html TO THE WORLD POWERS I TOLD YOU TO EXPECT ME

• Nuclear-NotCleanNotGreen

On July 1, 2011, the IAEA began a radioactive seawater project that:

** created models which show the transport of radioactive substances from the oceanic Kuroshio Current across the Pacific Ocean and easterly

** was funded by "USA, New Zealand, Australia and Japan."

** is testing radionuclides in seawater

WHERE ARE THE RESULTS?

• VyseLegendaire VyseLegendaire

Did anyone catch the story right under it about seafood being mislabeled an enormous amount of the time in U.S.? This doesn't bode well for the ingestion of radiation either…