On a day that had a lot of people talking about meteorites and asteroids, a fireball of some sort was seen streaking across the Bay Area skies.
The fireball was seen around 7:45 p.m. Sightings of the fireball were reported across the Bay Area and large areas of the West Coast.
It was bluish in color and appeared to be heading straight to the ground, according to one viewer in Santa Clara which is located in the center of Silicon Valley. [...]
“I saw that meteor/fireball over Solano County after spending the day reporting on asteroids and fireballs,” said NBC Bay Area reporter Jodi Hernandez. [...]
[...] sightings were reported throughout the Bay Area, from Santa Clara to Fairfield, and even in the Central Valley cities of Fresno and Stockton. Jonathan Braidman, an astronomer with the Chabot Space and Science Center in Oakland, said that it appears that the three astronomical events seen Friday are unrelated.
This is not fog, it is not rain, again it’s part of the meteor that streaked across the sky and or part of it’s contrail [...]
Whether its related to the other coincidences happening across the world in the past 24 hours, we’ll just have to wait and see.
Published: February 16th, 2013 at 5:06 am ET
- AP: Powerful meteor explosion reported in Cuba (VIDEO?) February 16, 2013
- Powerful M5.7 quake blamed on oil industry — Felt across 14 states — Largest anywhere in central U.S. for years — Could be seen on doppler radar (PHOTO) March 26, 2013
- ABC7: Breaking News — Oil tanker strikes tower of San Francisco’s Bay Bridge (VIDEO & PHOTO) January 7, 2013
- Explosion and blaze inside protected area at U.S. nuclear plant in Arkansas — Transformer blows in Unit Two, causes fire that was not contained for 1.5 hours — “Loud, ground shaking explosion” reported — Reactor remains shut down, extent of damage unknown (PHOTOS & VIDEO) December 10, 2013
- Cesium-134 and -137 detected in sand from San Francisco Bay Area yard July 15, 2012