NBC Nightly News, September 3, 2013 – Brian Williams, Anchor: Concerns are growing tonight — especially out West — about the continuing radiation threat from the crippled Fukushima nuclear plant in Japan. There’s this, the Japanese government said it will spend almost half a billion dollars, much of it to build a giant wall of ice underground to try to stop the flow of radioactive water leaking into the ocean.
Akio Matsumura, Japanese Diplomat, September 3, 2013: Japan is an island nation, connected to the rest of the world through the Pacific Ocean’s currents. For thousands of years those waterways have carried Japanese sailors to distant shores. Now they carry radioactivity to our coasts. Japan’s reluctance to ask for international help in managing Fukushima’s cleanup would be one thing if it put only its own people at risk. But with the rest of the world facing health risks, Japan’s mismanagement of its nuclear crisis is irresponsible and should not be accepted by other governments, especially the United States, whose food supply stands to be contaminated. [...]
Published: September 3rd, 2013 at 8:29 pm ET
- NBC Nightly News: ‘Has Radiation Entered Our Food Supply Chain?’ — USA Today: News getting worse at Fukushima, widespread suspicion leaks into ocean ‘underreported’ — Expert: “I’m not trying to be alarmist… but how will we know it’s safe” for West Coast? (VIDEO) March 9, 2014
- TV: Officials near San Francisco to monitor Fukushima plume, concerns for environment and food supply — Supervisor: The risks to Californians are concerning — Commissioner: We can’t rely on Japan or Tepco — Will waves of cesium and strontium pollute coast? (VIDEO) December 6, 2013
- NBC Nightly News: Concerns building over condition of Ft. Calhoun nuclear plant (VIDEO) June 17, 2011
- NBC Nightly News: “Another highly troubling report about what’s going on in the Pacific” — Millions of starfish ‘melt away’ from Alaska to California — Expert: Fukushima radiation ‘not ruled out’ as factor in epidemic — Very, very different than anything seen before (VIDEO) December 1, 2013
- Food products ‘heavily contaminated’ by Fukushima found in US; Over 30,000 pCi/kg of cesium, also had Cobalt-60 and Antimony-124 — FDA: We found no Fukushima contamination in US food supply during routine monitoring November 3, 2014