USA Today, Mar. 9, 2014: Ken Buesseler, a chemical oceanographer at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution [...] and other scientists are calling for more monitoring. No federal agency currently samples Pacific Coast seawater for radiation, he said. “I’m not trying to be alarmist,” Buesseler said. “We can make predictions, we can do models. But unless you have results, how will we know it’s safe?” [...] Last July [Tepco] acknowledged for the first time that the reactor was leaking contaminated underground water into the ocean. Since then, the news has gotten worse, and there is widespread suspicion that the problem is underreported. [...] three competing models of the Fukushima radiation plume [...] all predict that the plume will reach the West Coast this summer [...]
NBC Nightly News, Mar. 7, 2014:
- Title: Has Radiation Entered Our Food Supply Chain?
- Brian Williams, anchor: Scientists from Long Beach State University have started to look for [...] signs of radiation in the kelp that is found off the California coast.
- Miguel Almaguer, NBC reporter: Could this kelp be contaminated with radiation from Fukushima?
- Dr. Steven Manley, CSULB professor: This is used to detect the radioactive materials coming over from Fukushima.
- Almaguer: Will it pose a public health threat? [...] Its impact on the environment and marine life remains an unknown.
- Kei Iwamoto, Ph.D. UCLA adjunct associate professor of experimental radiation oncology: We have not seen anything that should raise any kind of red flags or alarm to the general public.
- Almaguer: For now, no alarm, but these researchers know their work is just beginning.
Published: March 9th, 2014 at 11:22 am ET
- Fox News: Radioactive wave from Fukushima nears US… Is it safe? Expert: Risk of cancers or genetic effects ‘not zero’ for people on West Coast; Ongoing leaks increase the odds November 29, 2013
- CBS: This is really disturbing, sea stars dying by the millions on West Coast — Like the Black Death, only faster and deadlier — ‘Mystery plague’ affecting 20+ species — TV: Disappears from Orange County coast over 2 week period — Expert: “Largest epidemic ever in ocean… Something has changed in marine environment to lead to this” (VIDEO) July 29, 2014
- NBC Nightly News: “Another highly troubling report about what’s going on in the Pacific” — Millions of starfish ‘melt away’ from Alaska to California — Expert: Fukushima radiation ‘not ruled out’ as factor in epidemic — Very, very different than anything seen before (VIDEO) December 1, 2013
- Gov’t Expert: West Coast will soon be hit by 800 Trillion Bq of Fukushima Cesium-137 — Nearly equal to amount of fallout deposited on Japan — Levels in Pacific “higher than expected” — “Main body of surface plume has reached off coast of US” — Never slowed down while crossing ocean, contrary to prediction June 7, 2015
- TV: North America will not be safe from Fukushima radiation if plant keeps leaking — Animals “suddenly died” on west coast right after 2011 disaster… Whole world noticed this strange phenomenon — “Fatally high” levels of radioactive material has entered ocean… serious pollution is ongoing (VIDEO) April 28, 2016