Fukushima’s radioactive sea contamination lingers – environment, New Scientist, September 30, 2011:
Levels of radiation in the sea off the Fukushima-Daiichi nuclear plant remain stubbornly high [...]
[M]uch of the radioactive iodine, caesium and plutonium from Fukushima was expected to rapidly disperse in the Pacific Ocean.
Instead, it seems that the levels remain high. [...]
That could be because contaminated water is still leaking into the sea from the nuclear plant, because currents are trapping the material that’s already there, or both.
h/t Anonymous tip
Published: October 2nd, 2011 at 7:22 am ET
- Researchers: Kuroshio Current “could rapidly carry the radioactivity into the interior of the Pacific Ocean” June 8, 2011
- Gov’t: Plutonium dose at 27 microsieverts in Namiemachi — Will remain “for about 50 years” (MAP) October 2, 2011
- Study: Plutonium from Fukushima went further than Chernobyl — Researchers ‘surprised’ their most plutonium-contaminated sample was from site farthest from Fukushima plant — Concern material is flowing into Pacific Ocean from land August 4, 2014
- Plutonium detected underground near Fukushima reactor — Test results not revealed publicly for almost a year after sampling date — Officials plan to pump up groundwater from same well it was found in and dump it into Pacific Ocean (PHOTO) August 13, 2014
- Nuclear Expert: We found ‘mystery’ Fukushima plutonium; Why it’s there is yet to be understood, this was not expected — US Gov’t Expert: I don’t want to go down the rabbit hole too far… There’s speculation about plutonium fuel and about what other fuel they were using (VIDEO) September 26, 2014