New York Times, Aug 20, 2013: Three hundred tons of highly contaminated water has leaked from a storage tank at the ravaged Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant on Japan’s Pacific coast, its operator said Tuesday, prompting regulators to declare a “radiological release incident” for the first time since disaster struck there in 2011 and adding new fears of environmental calamity.
AP, Aug 21, 2013: Hideka Morimoto, a watchdog spokesman, said water [leaking from storage tanks that's extremely contaminated] could reach the sea via a drain gutter.
Irish Times, Aug 21, 2013: The leaks have become a diplomatic issue: Japan’s neighbour South Korea again publicly expressed concern this week about the impact of the contamination on fishing stocks.
Reuters, Aug 21, 2013: That is a huge amount of radiation. The situation is getting worse,” said Michiaki Furukawa, who is professor emeritus at Nagoya University and a nuclear chemist. [...] A South Korean Foreign Ministry spokesman said Seoul had asked Japanese officials to explain what they were doing to stop contaminated water reaching the ocean and fishing grounds. “They also need to make the information available to the public, all over the world, given this is the first case in history where contaminated water from a nuclear plant is flowing into the ocean at this magnitude,” he said.
RTÉ News, Aug 20, 2013: “Tokyo Electric and the government must come up with ways to stop the leaks as well as to monitor and analyze how much and what sort of radiation is entering the ocean, as well as the affect it is having on fish and sea plants,” Mr Furukawa said.
Published: August 21st, 2013 at 9:51 am ET
- Japan Newspapers: It appears ‘high-level radioactive contaminated water’ is flowing into ocean at Fukushima — “Fear nuclear complex might not be scrapped” — Official admits disaster at plant “is barely being managed” March 6, 2014
- Twice as much contaminated water entering ocean from Fukushima as officials claim? Japan Gov’t: 600 tons of groundwater enters ocean each day at plant — NYTimes: Tepco’s figures assume ALL water entering ocean from plant is contaminated (VIDEO) August 8, 2013
- NHK: Contaminated water problem “getting more serious” at Fukushima — Gov’t task force on nuclear waste flowing into Pacific Ocean September 10, 2013
- Professor: Fukushima disaster is the worst case of nuclear contamination in history — It’s a crisis for all humanity — Building up to something much worse? (VIDEO) October 4, 2013
- Officials: “Trillions of becquerels of radioactive material still flowing into sea” at Fukushima — Map shows nuclear waste coming up from bottom of ocean far offshore — Japan TV Journalist: “Contaminated seawater will circulate around globe… disaster like a huge cloth expanding everyday” (VIDEO) August 11, 2015