— FRCSR(@FRCSR) December 8, 2012
Title: Escape to Okinawa
Source: The Age (Australia)
Author: Jane Barraclough
Date: December 6, 2011 (Update: Please note report is from 2011)
As radiation hot spots emerge in Tokyo and nuclear contamination plagues the country, some Japanese are fleeing to the Okinawa island chain to avoid the fallout from Fukushima. But is it too late?
[...] 30 other refugees [in Okinawa] from around the mainland — mostly mothers with young children — share the same anxieties. They talk about bizarre rashes, high fevers, blood noses and government and industry failures “they can never forgive”.
[...] door-to-door surveying in non-evacuated areas 60 kilometres from the plant revealed clusters of residents with persistent nose bleeding and diarrhoea. The same symptoms were also found among Tokyo residents.
Hiroshima survivor Dr Shuntaro Hida, who runs a non-profit hospital for Chernobyl and Hiroshima atomic bomb victims, assessed 50 patients at a one-off clinic in the middle of the year.
“People presented with purple spots, nose bleeding, high fevers, diarrhoea, aching bones, and extreme fatigue, ” he says. [...]
After seeing patients at the clinic with multiple radiation symptoms, Hida is concerned about radiation in Tokyo. [...]
Published: December 8th, 2012 at 8:51 am ET
- SMH: Too late to flee Fukushima fallout? Refugees discuss bizarre rashes — Doctor talks of purple spots, concerned about Tokyo radiation December 6, 2011
- TV: Fukushima kids with nose bleeds, diarrhea, mouth blisters, other problems — Symptoms go away after leaving area — Used to be in good health, now picking up every little bug going around (VIDEO) February 28, 2013
- Fukushima mom comes to Portland: “10-year-old son started having symptoms — Nose bleeding and fevers” August 19, 2011
- Former nuclear worker sues Japan gov’t over heart attack — Had been suffering nose bleeds and fatigue February 18, 2012
- Mother: Child with severe nose bleeds, full body rash after playing in Fukushima contaminated water — So much blood, thought head was cut open — Fingers covered in open sores December 21, 2012