Published: December 28th, 2012 at 8:06 pm ET

Title: Sailors sue Japanese company over Fukushima radiation damage
Source: North County Times
Author: Bradley J. Fikes
Date: Dec 28, 2012

Eight sailors who were aboard the aircraft carrier Ronald Reagan during the Fukushima nuclear disaster have sued the Japanese company that owns the power plant, claiming they were damaged by the plant’s radiation. [...]

As a result of the radiation exposure, the sailors experienced “great physical pain and mental anguish,” require therapies such as chelation and bone marrow transplants, and have had their lives shortened, the lawsuit states. It accuses Tepco of negligence, fraud, and deceptive business practices, and other legal violations. [...]

Page 21 of complaint:

Published: December 28th, 2012 at 8:06 pm ET

1. FOX News: “A Fukushima Fightback” — US Navy sailors say there was a conspiracy to withhold truth about radiation releases (AUDIO) December 31, 2012
  2. 1-year-old named in Fukushima lawsuit by US Navy members December 27, 2012
  3. U.S. Navy Sailors on TV: “I’m not what I used to be… my thyroid’s not what it used to be” since 3/11 — “Degenerative disks all over my back… I was healthy before all of this” (VIDEO) December 30, 2012
  4. Attorney to Tepco: Please help us, we have troops who are dying, need medical care after 3/11 — Bone marrow transplant at NIH — Another bleeding incessantly (AUDIO) February 11, 2013
  5. CNN: Major health issues in ill US Navy sailors who were exposed to Fukushima radiation -Attorney December 29, 2012

72 comments to Paper: Navy sailors have experienced “great physical pain” after Fukushima radiation exposure says lawsuit — “Therapies such as chelation and bone marrow transplants” required

• aigeezer aigeezer

Very dramatic stuff, if true, and far beyond all the official minimizing accounts, including archived stuff cited in today's threads.

It begs the question – what is happening to the thousands, perhaps millions of people who might be similarly exposed? It seems unlikely that these eight people could be unique in their exposure.

• Maggie123

aigeezer – re "begs the question" As dreadful as health damage to these sailor sounds, I wonder, because American military are the complainants, if our own MSM might not pick the story up. Surely at least the LA Times. If so, it seems that could make it pretty hard to ignore others, especially the Japanese population. Surely others will have the same question you pose!

• aigeezer aigeezer

Maggie123 and yogda, whatever game is in play, we can expect to see commenters of all stripes.

The challenge is to figure out what the heck is going on, and this one is really hard to read. Eight (only) serving military people belatedly sue a foreign government under very messy circumstances while their own government pretends to ignore it all after generally siding with the foreign government (which it pretty-much owns) to the effect that "everything was/is fine". Wow!

The msm now seem to be parroting the story in unison, as is their habit.

My instinct is that this story, this theme, is designed to get people to pay attention briefly to the situation, to encourage them to conclude either that the plaintiffs are a few kooks, or are a small group that deserves compensation, to identify token scapegoats in Japan… and then to resume nuke "business as usual". I speculate that it is intended to get a kind of phony closure to the Fukushima situation into the minds of the public.

In interesting posts yesterday, AFTERSHOCK and other posters expressed the hope that this story is the beginning of a deluge of genuine legal action and media attention to the Fukushima situation. I also hope that is the case despite my doubts, and of course we'll all observe with interest.

Something new is happening, that's for sure. Weird stuff!

• Indeed. India may expect a billion infant mortalities, no exaggeration. See
      The Unique feature of 100% safety requirement demanded by nucular power!
      Link: http://deathdealersnukes.blogspot.in/2012/12/the-unique-feature-of-100-safety.html
      Due credit also to Amory Lovins and John H Price. 1975. Non-Nuclear Futures: The Case for an Ethical Energy Strategy. Harper Colophon Books. New York.p 12-14:"If it were asserted that present knowledge permits assessment of risks and the efficacy of countermeasures with sufficient accuracy for policy purposes, it would then become necessary to assert in turn that risk analysts now know how to make quantitative, arbitrarily detailed, and INFALLIBLY CORRECT AND COMPLETE calculations not merely of engineering variables(such as effectiveness, reliability, and relevance of safety devices),but also of human malice AND OF HUMAN FALLIBILITY, INCLUDING THEIR OWN."

• Dogleg Dogleg

Due to the ongoing quantitative yet respective comprehensive measure of the authorities therefore existing conditions of the legend ongoing crisis need to be alleviated by the persons responsible in their respective positions for the ongoing crisis

• Dogleg Dogleg

Sorry brother ram but that's all I heard in your post maybe if you tone it down a little for us less intelligent beings we could understand what you're saying

• The upshot is the safety of nuclear is impossible to solve because human beings are fallible and nuclear requires infallibility. Thats why catastrophes are recurring at nuke parks with great regularity. We may thus expect many more Fukulike events in the future. With nuclear no acts of god can be permitted. Does not dogleg, Three Mile Island Melt, Chernobyle Melt and Fuku Melts tell us this? They have not learnt from the melts/explosions in the nuke disaster in the Urals,at Windscale and so they are continuing blindly.

• VanneV anne

TY, RK. That is unbelievably sad.

• Sickputer

Aig sez: "It begs the question – what is happening to the thousands, perhaps millions of people who might be similarly exposed?"

SP: Sick, dying, and some dead in Japan. Susceptible individuals across the globe suffer the safe fate. But it is the Japanese at ground zero. The news from Japan will worsen as bioaccumulation of fallout continues to increase on Honshu. The crisis is not going to be resolved in this decade and likely will be an issue for centuries. There is no off switch for Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant

• HoTaters HoTaters

Yes, I was just diagnosed with multiple small thyroid nodules, and am awaiting evaluation by an internal medicine specialist. Many more colds, infections, fatigue, odd sensations in chest, etc. since 3/11. I live near San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA.

Oh, and rashes which come and go — open sores at sites where I got radiation burns from the rain in 2011, and so on ….

• HoTaters HoTaters

Spoke with an adult school director last summer who told me many, many students are missing class due to fatigue. He's convinced it's from Fukushima, since that's about when the high absenteeism began. This person is in San Francisco East Bay area.

• HoTaters HoTaters

And I sheltered in place most of the time from the afternoon of 3/18/11 onward for at least two weeks. My house was plugged up as tight as I could get it with caulking, weather stripping, sealing off vents, electrical outlets, etc.

What can you do when the poison is EVERYWHERE?

• TheMysticWizard1

My family and myself have been sick more than any other year also, we're in the East Bay Area, CA. Right now it's been the stomach flu (?) and 2 colds on top of each other. We've all been sick since weekend before last. During the spring and summer after 3/11 I had a nagging cough that lasted months, along with general irritation in the lungs and throat. It's truly sad, we've all been forced to suffer because of this. I can't help but to worry about my health, as well as my wife and kids. I was out in the worst of it, wasn't aware at the time how big of an issue this all was. I was in the rain after 3/11, I worked outside. I'm just waiting for something bad to pop up.

• VanneV anne

MysticWizard, I'm really sorry about you and your family's health problems. Take care.

• HoTaters HoTaters

I had to spend a couple days out in it, as well, traveling out of town on personal business.

All I can say is do a detoxification protocol, and make sure you take lots and lots of high ORAC supplements, and eat lots of high ORAC fruits and veggies.

Anne and others have posted lots of good info. at the Forum.

I had "norovirus" awhile back which I'm now pretty sure was due to radiation poisoning, and NOT norovirus. But I'll never know for sure.

For those of us who are ill, we should probably begin journaling our symptoms.

MysticWizard1, I'm very sorry to hear about you and your family. A sante.

• VanneV anne

TY, HoTaters, I never knew what ORAC stood for:

ORAC Values of Fruits and Vegetables

by Dr. David Williams

Filed Under: General Health

Last Reviewed 10/28/2012

"ORAC values refer to the Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity of a food, as determined by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (DOA). By testing the ability of foods and other compounds to subdue oxygen free radicals, the DOA was able to determine each compound's antioxidant capability. The ORAC values in the following chart reflect these findings…"

Read more: http://www.drdavidwilliams.com/fruit-vegetables-orac-values#ixzz2GQ2jOPY9

I'm always craving raisins. And I just ate some raw spinach.

• yogda yogda

Home made Liposomal vitamin C may help you HoTaters.

Right there with you brother, I had my house with plastic covered doors and windows for a couple months after 3/11.

Best option is moving to Bolivia.
              I'm not being sarcastic. Anyone want to take me?

• PurpleRain PurpleRain

I thought I just read something about some huge norovirus outbreak being reported in Japan! It was on one of the Japan TV news links that I was just reading about the M-5 earthquake. I wonder how many people might really be having radiation sickness when they are telling them it is this norovirus-thing instead?!

• datura17

I had that nasty cough for months also, went to the doc 3 times, i had walking pnenumonia, i had to work in the rain, the same one that had a man in Ontario, canada showed like 30000 cpm from rain on glass wiped up with a paper towel, it knocked out my immune system and i ended up with 2 different strains of pseudomonias it infected my right lung to the point my upper right lung lobe had to be removed. that cost $167,000+still coming in. that cough changed over 4 days to not being able to quit coughing with everything i had, i went to the hospital, 3 days later i was in a coma, 5 days later they figured out what the infections were and the next day they removed the upper right lobe of my lung as it was destroyed and poisoning the rest of my body. the nurses told me that they are seeing all kinds of weird unusual infections these days. generally pseudomonias only infect aids patients and the elderly not a 47 year old in good health until the fall of 2011. i dont have hiv. i am ok to return to work, but i am laid off now until spring and i dont know if i can even work the job anymore. i just changed jobs in the spring and got 2.5x my former pay + medical + dental+ rx + life + temporary disability insurances through the co. I still have the insurances so i am good that way, if i didnt have insurance i would not be here now or maybe bankrupt at the least. i believe they injured me and i think they need to pay. i will never see a dime though.

• VanneV anne

HoTaters, I'm really sorry about all your health problems. Take care.

• VanneV anne

This nightmare is going to encompass all of us. I was shocked to hear of Pres. Obama going to Hawaii. Are all of his advisers cretins?

• jec jec

Heard the Obamas were visiting South America in the days after 3/11. Since my sister lives in Hawaii, hope the Obama's enjoy the same weather, air and food she does.

• PurpleRain PurpleRain

I was really surprised that Pres Obama went to Hawaii too – even though he grew up there, I just expected him to know better. The only other thing is — it is a real possibility that he too is being kept in the dark by the GE money-people-liars around him. They could all be down-playing anything and everything about radiation to even Obama. (He is just one man after-all and he has many-many-many issues on his plate)… or am I being naive again?

• HoTaters HoTaters

Thank you for your concern. I read what you wrote about what you and your own family members have suffered after TMI, and my heart goes out to you. Thank you for your kind words.

The jet stream was split for at least part of the time when the plume first made landfall. I forget where I saw that recently, but it showed the brunt of the plume going into Canada and Alaska, and the other, smaller portion extending down into Southern California and Northern Mexico. It basically covered Baja California. I'm not sure how long that weather pattern lasted.

• Dogleg Dogleg

I call it the Corredor of death. That would be the area just south of Monterey Bay California extending north north east to Boise Idaho if you draw a straight line you will see the Corredor of death is just east of the San Francisco bay. I am so sorry to hear of your illnesses I was hoping I was wrong about said Corredor but as time goes on I am starting to realize that my calculations of the MOX plume from the number three explosion are correct. I am not a meteorologist nor am I a nuclear physicist but I did get a B+ in fifth grade science. my point is it didn't take a genius to figure out the path of the deadly radiation it didn't take a genius to figure out that there was nothing blocking said plumes way. if I knew what was coming the authorities certainly knew what was coming

• jec jec

Does anyone have data on amount of any changes in health of people or animals/plants in the plume areas? Thyroid nodual increase? Change in lifebirth rates, or birth defects?

• PavewayIII PavewayIII

The plume is aerosols aloft. You're not going to get any significant amount of dry deposition on this side of the Pacific. Dry deposition is nearly always within 100km of the source. There was a ton of smaller particulates (<10 microns) produced that are not deposited in the first 100km. They get vacuumed into the big sewer in the sky: the jet stream.

Nearly everything we got in the U.S. is wet deposition (initially) from rain washing out the particulates. Those eventually dry out and can get stirred up again, but are not going all the way *back* up to the jet stream. It will either come back as secondary dry deposition or be washed out by rain and wet deposited.

If you want to find a lot of Fukushima radiation on the West Coast, just go to the top of any large flat-roofed building with your geiger counter. The dirt from those slow-drying rain pools is fairly active until it blows away.

• PavewayIII PavewayIII

The point I should have made is not to correlate the plume with health effects. You have to correlate plume *and* precipitation to find out the highest U.S. deposition areas. I'll try to find a link for the model, but the Imperial Valley and upper midwest got the bulk of it.

• "There is no off switch." – SP

Seems like common sense to me.

1. Never build anything that does not have an emergency off switch.

Got it!

• MaidenHeaven MaidenHeaven

Fukushima Report Introduced by Top Official Hosono: “Other reactors are all in considerably severe condition” — 14 total; Dai-ni, Onagawa, Tokai — “Extreme situations, though not much has been broadcast”

Tepco conveniently withheld this information from the world. And when Cesium et al totals are added up, we need to remember to *guesstimate the additional amounts from these other reactors.

This link provides the pdfs & various Youtube videos.

• rleer

If anyone is seeking more information through the media black out of this ongoing crisis, google "fukushima diary". Some are fighting to keep a centralized location for this information for those that want to or need to know.

• Cataclysmic Cataclysmic

ENENEWS named in court documents!!! Fukushima law suit by Navy vindicates Blogging as a news catchment including Fukushima-Diary and enenews, cited for evidence

• Jebus

Fukushima Plant Released Record Amount of Radiation Into Ocean
    By Beth Thomas – Oct 31, 2011 1:47 AM PT

The oceanic study estimates 27,000 terabecquerels of radioactive cesium 137 leaked into the sea from the Fukushima plant, north of Tokyo.

The three melted reactors and at least one damaged spent- fuel pool may have emitted 35,800 terabecquerels of cesium 137 into the atmosphere, according to Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics journal.

• Jebus

Navy says radiation releases pose challenging environment

By Larry Shaughnessy, CNN
    March 16, 2011 7:23 a.m. EDT

Officials expect that air crew members will continue to be exposed to increased low levels of radiation, so the Navy is telling helicopter crews to keep their sleeves rolled down and keep cabin windows closed when possible.

And some air crew members, Davis said, have been given potassium iodide pills. The iodide protects a person's thyroid gland from the effects of radioactivity and can reduce the threat of thyroid cancer.

U.S. Navy spokesman Capt. Danny Hernandez said the iodide pills were given as a "precautionary measure only."

• Jebus

Navy says radiation releases pose challenging environment

By Larry Shaughnessy, CNN
      March 16, 2011 7:23 a.m. EDT

The U.S. Army's Camp Zama, about 25 miles outside Tokyo, is also taking steps in light of the potential radiation threat.

According to messages posted on U.S. Army – Japan's official Facebook page, health officials have been taking "environmental radiation readings every 3 hrs" since Monday.

"All readings taken to date have indicated absolutely no health risk to our community," the message read.

Nonetheless, the message noted that readings showed "negligible levels" that require the implementation of "mitigating measures," including limiting outdoor activities, leaving windows closed and keeping children inside for playtime and school recess.

• jec jec

DUH…And just why does one TAKE the potassium tablets? As a precaution! Because if not, one can have thyroid damage due to uptake of Iodine 131.

"U.S. Navy spokesman.. said the iodide pills were given as a "precautionary measure only."

However, its given one time with the expectation the exposed person(s) will immediately be removed from the danger area. Did the air craft carrier move out of the plume area fast enough?

• TheBigPicture TheBigPicture

Let the lawsuits begin, because millions got radiated.

• vital1 vital1

The whole world should sue, plus several generations into the future.

In the long term more people may die from the indirect effects of the
      radioactive contamination, as a result of the weakened immune systems, and virus mutations.

————————————————————————–

Get the message out there on how serious the Fukushima nuclear disaster is
      quickly, and efficiently. You don’t need to explain anything just distribute the lifesaver.pdf or podcast below. (or create your own), hand it out, mailbox it, or email it.

• razzz razzz

I don't know how they can cure certain types of cancers but in my web travels noticed this…

Also was trying to find out more about sky shine and ground shine then found this, it just amazing what they know about the dangers of nuclear powered anything and they still barrel ahead like nothing bad will ever come of it…

• jec jec

One of my family in the Pacific NW was diagnosed with cancer this spring –and died last month. Very sudden, he was perfectly fine the previous yearly checkup. Sudden cancer very aggressive one, he lived for 7 months. He was a vibrant active person, farmer, outside all the time in the spring in the fields. We will never know the cause, but in the back of my mind…

• Sol Man

Nuclear power must be the most expensive technology on the planet, and it seems the one that may most easily close the door for all of humanity- forever. The reasons to plow on are inconceivable to most when we consider all of the destruction of entire ecosystems, life disappears; genomes of all living things are at risk of constant mutations by radiation exposure. We need decisions made to set the controls for living and leave those of death-dealing behaviors forever. We must allow people of the future a chance.

• Anthony Anthony

Reality check… if Fuku keeps on spewing as it is already is, the world will be contaminated lets call it, indefinitely. Thats the upside and it is what we all face collectively even now.

If things get worse, more reactors will go into FUKU mode.

Nuke industry will go into overdrive to paint a different picture about today. If nothing else happens they have already destroyed, Life.

It looks like either tomorrow scenario is smeared with radiation. And I'm being optimistic and just looking at the facts. Happy New Year!

• BreadAndButter BreadAndButter

Just wondering who will help the Fallujah parents to file a lawsuit against the US military.

• Ontological Ontological

Sorry to hear so many are affected by this travesty. I am in Las Vegas, and also am suffering from thyroid noduals and oral cancer, and a golf ball sized tumor in my nasal cavity. For the last 18 months it has gone from a small dime sized legion on my right cheek to the entire cheek, like raw hmburger with oozing, and has invaded the nasel tissue right through the bone! I think I got a fuel flea that cooked a hole down from the sinus. This hole showed up on a CAT scan! My pancreatic blood marker was 40 3 months ago, and that is very scary. I have paid in over $180,000 USD to Medicare Blue Cross-Blue shield over 15 years, and have been told they will not cover the titanium prosthesis I will need for bone replacement in my jaws. Then I will need radiation oncology (shudder) I have no way to get financial help, so I am dead soon.
    This cover up is most ridiculous! The explosion of R3 March 14th 2011 even if it wasn’t a nuclear detonation, still ejected tons of MOX fuel into the atmosphere, and ocean. Now they watch the mouse dance in R4 while the freaked out elephant trashes the china shop, and no one seems to notice. Shame on GE, shame on its corporate controlled media, and most of all shame on the world governments for profiting on this at the expense of taxpayers worldwide!
    People are afraid to send their children to school due to the Sandy Hook shooting, if they knew the REAL threat to National Security emanating from Japan; they would not allow them out at all!

• Ganxet Ganxet

The world is upside down. How it,s possible only 8 sailors were injured?
    Why they didnt wear protective clothes (tyvek ) nor masks?
    How is all of this possible in the most.powerful army in the world, and in a nuclear powered ship?
    What happens whith japan people who cannot move anywere else?
    Im afraid we are all going to suffer the same problems… soon or late, no place to hide.
    Wath food poisoning!!!,
    I,m a spanish outside worker, and i fell ill 2 weeks ago, i thing , better to stay indoors also here in spain.
    I,ll buy a sensitive geiger counter to wath plumes.

• Ganxet Ganxet

Sure they have protocol….
    No defined nuclears zone inside the ship. They must ensure the ship by preventing dispersion