Title: What BP Doesn’t Want You to Know About the 2010 Gulf Spill
Author: Mark Hertsgaard
Date: April 22, 2013
“It’s as safe as Dawn dishwashing liquid.” That’s what Jamie Griffin says the BP man told her about the smelly, rainbow-streaked gunk coating the floor of the “floating hotel” where Griffin was feeding hundreds of cleanup workers during the BP oil disaster in the Gulf of Mexico. [...]
“The BP representative said, ‘Jamie, just mop it like you’d mop any other dirty floor,’” Griffin recalls in her Louisiana drawl. [...]
As she scrubbed, the mix of cleanser and gunk occasionally splashed onto her arms and face.
Within days, the 32-year-old single mother was coughing up blood and suffering constant headaches. She lost her voice. “My throat felt like I’d swallowed razor blades,” she says.
Then things got much worse.
Like hundreds, possibly thousands, of workers on the cleanup, Griffin soon fell ill with a cluster of excruciating, bizarre, grotesque ailments. By July, unstoppable muscle spasms were twisting her hands into immovable claws. In August, she began losing her short-term memory. After cooking professionally for 10 years, she couldn’t remember the recipe for vegetable soup; one morning, she got in the car to go to work, only to discover she hadn’t put on pants. The right side, but only the right side, of her body “started acting crazy. It felt like the nerves were coming out of my skin. It was so painful. My right leg swelled—my ankle would get as wide as my calf—and my skin got incredibly itchy.” [...]
See also: Physician: Public health crisis in the Gulf after BP Deepwater Horizon disaster -- Thousands suffering chronic problems
Published: April 24th, 2013 at 12:01 pm ET
- NOAA incident report refers to explosion in Gulf as ‘Oil Spill’ November 16, 2012
- Bullet holes riddle key California power substation causing heavy damage — 10,000 gallon oil spill — Statewide Emergency Alert to conserve energy — 911 calls not working nearby April 16, 2013
- NY Post: Snow falling on Navy ship caused by Fukushima radioactive steam… “Is that aluminum foil I taste?” — Sailor: People were defecating on themselves in hallways from excruciating diarrhea — Officer: We saw radiation 300 times ‘safe’ levels (VIDEO) December 22, 2013
- Oil Spill Expert: I remain skeptical they found source of BP crude in Gulf October 19, 2012
- TV: University’s research “is so disturbing” — Large spike in deadly flesh-eating bacteria after BP oil spill in Gulf — Expert: Take it very seriously — It’s “in their bloodstream… affects all organs” (VIDEO) November 12, 2013