NHK’s Nuclear Watch, Jan. 29, 2014 (at 3:30 in): The device transmitted back these images [from Reactor 1] showing radioactive water flowing down the side of the containment vessel [and] contaminated water was gushing out of a broken pipe. Experts analyzed the video and were shocked by what they saw. […] The space between the metal containment vessel and the concrete that surrounds it is only 5 cm – that makes it hard for engineers to get a picture of the [plug?] so they can figure out how to fix it. Managers of Fukushima Daiichi need to find out where radioactive water is coming from in order to proceed with the decommissioning the process. But they are faced with an uphill battle, one that underscores the difficulty of the decommissioning process.
Hiroshi Miyano, professor at Hosei University: It will be extremely difficult to pinpoint the leaks.
NHK: We’ll be giving you a more detailed look at the contaminated water issue at Fukushima Daiichi this weekend on NHK World. Don’t miss our program ‘Radioactive Water: Fukushima Daiichi’s hidden crisis’.
Published: January 29th, 2014 at 4:31 pm ET
- NHK: More damage being discovered in Fukushima Reactor No. 1 — “Destruction” at containment vessel — Concerned about tons of water draining from unknown cracks and holes (VIDEO) January 31, 2014
- Bloomberg: ‘Highly radioactive’ leak at Fukushima Unit 3 — NHK: Melted fuel coolant thought to be flowing from containment vessel for ‘unknown reason’ — 24 Million Bq/liter of strontium, other beta emitters (VIDEO) January 20, 2014
- Nuclear Engineer: New footage shows Reactor 1 has “ruptured” containment structure, most likely from the explosion — Water to cool “what’s left of core” flowing into environment (VIDEO) November 15, 2013
- IAEA ***NOT for distribution***: Molten core is suspected to have penetrated Fukushima containment vessel — Prime Minister on 3/11: We couldn’t be in Tokyo if melted fuel went through containment vessel (VIDEO) December 18, 2013
- Nuclear expert: “Water is literally pouring out of the side” of reactor containment (VIDEO) April 25, 2011