Published: November 3rd, 2011 at 8:56 am ET

Nov. 3 — Radioactive materials have been detected in Tokyo Bay, NHK reported yesterday:

• “Waste water discharged into Tokyo Bay from a cement plant has been found to contain radioactive cesium at much higher levels than the government-set limit for disposal.”
  • “It found radioactive cesium at levels of 1,103 becquerels per kilogram, and 1,054 becquerels per kilogram respectively.”
  • “The levels are 14 to 15 times higher than the limit set by the country’s Nuclear Safety Commission.”

SOURCE: NHK

On a related note, Tokyo has started disposing of 500,000 tons of rubble from the disaster area, reports NHK:

• “Freight trains brought the rubble from Iwate Prefecture to a facility in Tokyo.”
  • “Officials conducting random radiation checks on the rubble said a sample had a reading below the maximum allowable level set by Tokyo at 0.01 microsieverts per hour.”
  • “The rubble will be disposed of on reclaimed land in Tokyo Bay after some of it is burned.”
Published: November 3rd, 2011 at 8:56 am ET

1. Fukushima Part II? Tokyo to begin burning massive amounts of radioactive waste from disaster area — Burns will continue for at least 2.5 years, until March 2014 (VIDEO) September 30, 2011
  2. Asahi: High radiation levels found at possible Olympic sites — Japan Professor: Radioactive materials have spread throughout greater Tokyo; Region remains in “emergency situation”? October 8, 2013
  3. Gundersen: Gov’t dumping radioactive material into Tokyo Bay — Contaminated seaweed found in area (VIDEO) December 22, 2011
  4. Yomiuri discusses “yellowish residue” found in Tokyo area: Radioactive Pollen? “Highly likely” Fukushima pollen will reach capital October 24, 2011
  5. WSJ: High radioactivity has experts ‘puzzled’ and Tokyo-area residents alarmed — Study says “relatively large doses of tainted materials” were dumped on parts of Tokyo November 16, 2011

24 comments to NHK: Radioactive materials found in Tokyo Bay at 15 times legal limit — Plus: Tokyo to begin burning rubble from disaster area as first freight trains arrive

• watcher watcher

I think the escalation of contamination in Tokyo is partially from Tokyo bay. The radiation has made its way down the coast from Fukushima in the sea, and is slowly saturating the Bay. This would explain why other locations closer to the sea showed higher levels than Tokyo first, as they would get it first through currents.

• Hot Tuna Hot Tuna

I don’t think the major currents have taken it that far south yet. When that occurs in a few more months, the levels in Tokyo Bay will rise to at least 100 times ‘legal limit’ or perhaps more. This radiation pollution is from:

1) ‘Decontamination’ efforts (power washing) that collects down the sewers throughout Tokyo and into the bay along with the rain.

2) The dumping of contaminated incineration debris directly into the bay. (they feel the bay is already polluted and they’re running out of valuable real estate to store this crap on land).

• watcher watcher

No, not the major currents, like you say, the concentration would be much higher. Still, small amounts can move along just due to kinetic type attraction to the land. Sorry, some of my technical terms may be inappropriate, but I think the picture is clear enough. I have seen this sort of migration as a child spending my summers puttering around the perimeter of marinas where the family boat was kept.

• oscar419

That’s it…spread the goodness all over Japan. I wouldn’t want to be a Realtor over there..

• Human0815

And we as a Collective used Nuclear Energy
      we as a Collective are Responsible and we can’t leave it up to the Tohoku People!

• BreadAndButter BreadAndButter

We shouldn’t leave it up to the Tohoku people, I agree.
        We should leave it up to the government and to Tepco, who has basically printed money with the nuclear power plants.

If the government and tepco had been honest about the dangers, I don’t think “the collective” had agreed upon using nuclear technology.

They have been betrayed.

• Bobby1

I don’t believe they are using modern and working filtering techniques. It’s probably just a screen to catch the biggest clumps of ash.

• watcher watcher

Care for a swim to go with that glass of water?

• Iaato Iaato

Cities concentrate energy, water, and other resources. Wouldn’t urban centers concentrate isotopes, too, over time, as resources get brought into cities, used, and then disposed of (including incineration)?

• batista

@ human.
    “This solution is much better than leaving all this Rubble up in the North, look at the middle and end of this Summer more than 38 Rubble-Piles was burning because of Self-Combustion!

This was by far more dangerous than a controlled Burning in a Facility with a modern and working filtering Technique!”
    Is it really so?

• batista

And I’m not sure this nobleness has any worth here.

• Bleifrei Bleifrei

oh yes
    distribute it throughout the country,
    so everyone gets what from
    radiation-free for all citizens
    We from Gov, are generous( sacasm)
    all countries would put it at a gather,
    not only the JP Gov
    why not go according FUKU. to bring?
    they build enormous pools or places,in south of the broken four plant
    what they do well there?

• Anthony Anthony

At my deepest levels Id rather they not take us out accidently or otherwise, as they scramble for solutions. My view isn’t offered as offence, but instead in that same steady reasoning manner they have decided to deal with the crisis.

I agree with Human on the point about them needing help… but add more importantly that the Japanese are not listening to us in all this. They utterly refused outside volunteers from the get go. To me it was like a drowning man slapping my grabbing hands away …. no different really.

So in that I disagree Human because I cant take on the emotional baggage they refuse or cannot or simply chose not to carry themselves.

If I am even half right about this, it remains more in my best interest to self preserve. The worst possible outcome to me in Fukushima would be that the Japanese in their efforts to survive themselves obliterated everyone downstream of their country.

I especially consider this incineration madness as deeply harmful activity for my lungs given what we have endured already for almost nine months now.

Return the rubble to underground, where it originates and where it has been kept safe in uranium form for centuries.

I appreciate the desperate nature of this accident. Its not and it is I guess a blanket feeling I have when I say Japan has a chance to be a part of a world family it has chosen to slap the hands of.

No matter the road they pick Japan must stop hurting the rest of us, especially intentionally. It is painfully obvious how dangerous incineration and creation of new airborne nuclear radiation is and is out of the question for the Hemisphere.

The whole topic seems beyond reckless to me given our Ozone has also melted away this year.

• StillJill StillJill

Anthony,…BEST POST OF THE MONTH award to you, my FRIEND!

I am stealing this entire post to send to my peepsheeple,…K? :-)

• batista

Human. I can’t be NICE. But my question at first was even meaner. So I tried to be nicer, but I THINK YOU ARE DOING IT TO EVEN THINGS UP. I couldn’t fathom the debris were undergoing spontaneous (?) self-combustion in the summer. Another surprise.
    I thought that the debris might be radioactively innocent and innocuous. But seems even Japanese braving the prohibition to measure have found the ones shipped to Tokyo to be radioactive.
    I think now it’s little Chernobyls that will be created. I didn’t believe it fast to be worse than Chernobyl. But now…
    I AM SORRY – AT LEAST YOU SHOULD HAVE TRIED A VERY DRASTIC SOLUTION TO SAVE YOUR NATION AND PAY YOUR MASTERS WHATEVER IT TAKES TO LEAVE YOUR CIVILIZATION’S CRADLE AND GET YOURSELF A NEW HOMELAND…

• batista

But I am just a stupid teen ager playing first person shooters so don’t take me seriously.

• StillJill StillJill

You’re forgiven! :-) Oh,…and Thank you! :-)

• Sickputer

There is no need to roll trains to Tokyo to burn radioactive anything (rubble, sludge, whatever). They already have a massive dead zone northwest of Fukushima and they can hire it out to the world…send us all your waste….we have the place for it. In fact when the whole island is a dead zone then just build a giant steel dome over the entire island of Honshu and dump the world’s waste into a hole in the top. Problem solved. >;->

But I am serious on the national solution…they have a permanent dump site now…so use it!

• StillJill StillJill

Dare I say it???

“they have a permanent dump site now…so use it!”

OR***** some Country WILL BOMB you.

• thelili

Let’s see: they burn it, it goes up into the clouds, travels everywhere in airborne fashion, and rains on everyone-from now on. No end in sight.

Hell we have a good space program. Launch that shit into space and let it explode.(I am kidding. I have no solutions about throwing nuclear garbage into space.)