NHK Newsline, Dec. 20, 2013: Engineers are grappling with another problem far below their feet [...] Workers have also detected substances that emit beta radiation in groundwater near Reactor 2, The concentration has been rising since last month. It reached a record high on Thursday this week at 1.9 million Bq/liter.
NHK WORLD, Dec. 20, 2013: [...] radioactive substances have been detected in water samples taken from deep underground [...] Highly radioactive substances had been detected in previous months in shallow groundwater that was found to be leaking into the ocean. But for the first time in December, TEPCO investigators detected radioactivity in groundwater taken from a layer 25 meters [~82 feet] beneath the No. 4 reactor’s well facing the ocean. [...] 6.7 becquerels per liter of Cesium 137 and 89 becquerels per liter of strontium and other beta ray-emitting radioactive substances [...] they are concerned that if contamination of deeper layers of groundwater is confirmed, it could be another source that is leaking into the ocean. [...]
Published: December 21st, 2013 at 1:16 am ET
- Jiji: Highly radioactive groundwater now flowing under Unit 1 — Levels skyrocket since last test, now 1,000s of times higher — 8 locations hit record in recent days at Fukushima Daiichi January 25, 2014
- TV: Gov’t concerned that ‘unexpected source’ of contamination is exiting Fukushima — Official: Radiation levels in ocean are rising — Record amount of radioactive substance found in groundwater at plant October 16, 2013
- TV: New concerns at Fukushima; Radioactive material “spilling into ocean” from layer 80 feet deep, officials suspect — Jiji: Record high radiation levels at 18 locations between reactors and Pacific; Crisis far from under control (VIDEO) June 25, 2014
- Tepco: Trench connected to Unit No. 2 is what’s contaminating groundwater at Fukushima — Has extremely high levels of over 3 billion Bq/liter of radioactive substances — Water is flowing in from reactor building (VIDEO) August 12, 2013
- Asahi: Radioactive contamination ‘soaring’ in Fukushima groundwater — Strontium and other beta emitters up 4,500% in recent days; Cesium rises nearly 1,500% — Tepco says it doesn’t know why levels spiked (VIDEO) August 6, 2013