Title: Fukushima clean-up turns toxic for Japan’s Tepco
Authors: Antoni Slodkowski and Mari Saito
Date: July 31, 2013
[...] WATER STORAGE NIGHTMARE
Experts say Tepco is attempting the most ambitious nuclear clean-up in history, even greater than the Chernobyl disaster [...]
[...] radioactive water that cools the reactors [...] mixes with some 400 tonnes of fresh groundwater pouring into the plant daily.
Workers have built more than 1,000 tanks [...]
With more than 85 percent of the 380,000 tonnes of storage capacity filled, Tepco has said it could run out of space.
The tanks are built from parts of disassembled old containers brought from defunct factories and put together with new parts, workers from the plant told Reuters. They say steel bolts in the tanks will corrode in a few years.
Tepco says it does not know how long the tanks will hold. [...]
Published: July 31st, 2013 at 11:13 am ET
- Asahi: ALL radioactive water storage tanks at Fukushima Daiichi leaking? “We are giving priority to the No. 2 tank, whose conditions are worse” April 8, 2013
- NYTimes: New concerns Fukushima storage tanks are leaking contamination into Pacific Ocean June 19, 2013
- Gundersen: Fukushima tanks releasing x-rays in very high quantities offsite — Exposure to people outside plant is very, very high from ‘Bremsstrahlung’ phenomenon — Hundreds of tanks could easily start leaking after quake (VIDEO) July 22, 2013
- New York Times: “Potential for huge spill” of highly radioactive liquid from many Fukushima tanks all at once, says nuclear design expert — Top Officials: Leaks from more tanks are “the biggest concern… We are extremely concerned” August 21, 2013
- Anonymous Official: Tank at Fukushima may have leaked tons of highly radioactive liquid every day for a month… “We didn’t detect it for as long as 30 days” — Spokesman: Leakage is continuing… Other tanks may be affected August 20, 2013