It has been revealed that the United States government was strongly urging [the Japanese government] to reconsider its policy of “zero nukes in 2030s” which was part of the energy and environmental strategy of the Noda administration, as “President Obama wishes it”.
According to the multiple government sources, as the Noda administration was moving in August toward explicitly putting down “zero nuke” in the official document, the US strongly requested that Japan reconsider the “zero nuke” policy, saying the request was “the result of discussion at the highest level of the government”, indicating it was the Obama administration’s consensus, from the president on down.
On September 8, Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda met with the US Secretary of State Clinton during the APEC meeting in Vladivostok in Russia. Here again, representing the US president, Secretary Clinton expressed concern. While avoiding the overt criticism of the Noda administration’s policy, she further pressured Japan by stressing that it was President Obama and the US Congress who were concerned.
(According to Former Deputy Energy Secretary Martin,) the US government thinks that “The US energy strategy would be more likely to suffer a direct damage” because of the Japan’s policy change toward zero nuclear energy.
See also: US Nuclear Expert: I've been told by people in the State Dept. that U.S. gov't said to downplay health effects of radiation after Fukushima -- I think we've really gone out of our way not to measure (AUDIO)
Published: October 2nd, 2012 at 1:06 am ET
- Report: Japan to abandon nuclear power — “Comes in response to mounting calls among public for eliminating all reactors” September 12, 2012
- NHK: With support growing for the 0% nuclear power option, gov’t to delay deadline for deciding on an energy policy (VIDEO) August 6, 2012
- WSJ: Japanese gov’t is now most likely to decide to eliminate all nuclear power -Officials August 21, 2012
- Japan Times Headline: “Power use falls; Reactors unneeded” despite hot summer — Group Leader: “Proof Japan can supply enough electricity even without any nuclear power” August 22, 2012
- Former Ambassador to President Obama: Fukushima Unit 4 can cause “major global catastrophe” — This is the “most pressing global security issue” November 6, 2013