Published: March 5th, 2012 at 10:58 am ET
- "There is spent fuel and pellets and whatever all over the place around the plant" -NRC's Top Man in Japan -- Trying to clean it up, but dose still going to be incredible
- Top US nuke official in Japan: Take it slow "without just running the military in there to kill people" for us to feel better -- Wait so it's "without a lot of loss of life" -- 300 millisieverts per hour OUTSIDE reactors before bulldozing 'rubble'
Title: Nuclear Regulatory Commission’s Fukushima Transcripts
Date: March 17, 2011
MALE PARTICIPANT: Chuck and John, what was the basis, John, for your statement at — that you believe there are spent fuel pellets on the ground of the property?
JOHN: Because they gave us the dose rates of, what, 20 to 30 rem per hour? And they said, you know, the dose rates go down 70 percent when they bulldoze the –
MALE PARTICIPANT: Debris.
JOHN: — debris out of the way. Well, you don’t get 20 rem from contamination on the side of the spent fuel pool. It’s got to be fission product. I mean, you know, you have — so how did the explosion occur? The spent fuel pool had to be at least 20 percent, 10 percent level, whatever. You had a significant zirc oxide reaction, all of these — all this hydrogen, and a massive explosion. And what’s right below the explosion? There’s no body of water. You’ve just got all of that spent fuel pool that’s, you know, 2,000 degrees plus just baking there. I mean, you know, how can you think you’d blow apart, you know, girders and seals and everything else, and these little delicate spent fuel bundles that are 2,000-plus degrees are going to stay intact? I mean, that doesn’t make sense. You blow out concrete walls and beams, and the structure of the building is blown up. You’ve seen images.
MALE PARTICIPANT: Yeah, yeah. I mean –
MALE PARTICIPANT: No, I’ve seen those images. I mean, I guess I was just asking — that’s more your logic than something that you’ve been told by anybody else.
JOHN: They haven’t said it’s fission products or pellets in the parking lot. But, I mean, it’s got to be.
MALE PARTICIPANT: The purpose of the bulldozing, is that — I don’t understand. Is that just to reduce the radiation, or are they –
JOHN: Well, they –
MALE PARTICIPANT: They want to get the riot truck in there.
MALE PARTICIPANT: Yes.
MALE PARTICIPANT: Oh, okay.
JOHN: Well, they say it’s to clear the debris, so they can get the fire trucks, the riot trucks, the water trucks, et cetera. I think it’s — some of it is debris, but I think it’s to significantly move the dose out of the way.
MALE PARTICIPANT: Right.
JOHN: Move the fission products, move the pellets, move whatever.
- Gundersen: "Discovery of neutron sources off site means Unit 3 fuel was broken by Unit 3 detonation" -- "I said that 18 months ago, and it looks like the NRC agrees" January 16, 2013
- 'Neutron sources' found 1 mile from Fukushima plant after 3/11 -- "Some fuel may have been injected from that spent fuel pool" January 16, 2013
- Gundersen's Kansai Presentation: Pellets of nuclear fuel were scattered around Fukushima site -- Pieces, not atoms, but pieces -- Hydrogen will not create explosion seen at Unit No. 3 (VIDEO) May 13, 2012
- L.A. Times: Speculation that "supercritical fission event" occurred at Fukushima reactor irradiating plutonium, says nuclear expert -- Explosion so massive investigators found fuel rod fragments a mile away March 9, 2012
- Just-Published Study: Plutonium being found away from Fukushima is from nuclear fuel fragments blown out after explosions March 9, 2012
- Gov't Memo: "One or more of the building explosions ejected radioactive material around the site" at Fukushima March 7, 2012
- 4 Months Later: NRC says radiological material dispersed in 'various forms' around plant -- Most likely from inside reactors -- Isotopes indicative of core damage March 5, 2012
- Japan/US map showed 100 milliSv/hr "line" along the roadway west of reactor -- "This stuff is spread everywhere" March 5, 2012
- Top US nuke official in Japan: Take it slow "without just running the military in there to kill people" for us to feel better -- Wait so it's "without a lot of loss of life" -- 300 millisieverts per hour OUTSIDE reactors before bulldozing 'rubble' March 5, 2012
- "There is spent fuel and pellets and whatever all over the place around the plant" -NRC's Top Man in Japan -- Trying to clean it up, but dose still going to be incredible March 5, 2012
- PBS: "U.S. surveillance now suggested that there were flakes of deadly radioactive fuel scattered around the reactors" at Fukushima plant -- U.S. made secret plans to evacuate all citizens from Japan (VIDEO) February 24, 2012
- Mag: Curium and plutonium outside Fukushima plant indicate nuclear explosion at Reactor No. 3 -- Broken spent nuclear fuel rods may have been scattered December 17, 2011
- US nuke industry report: Explosions at Fukushima Units 1, 3, 4 may have caused inventory (nuclear rods) to be lost from spent fuel pools -- "Debris" on ground near Unit 3 was extremely radioactive after blast November 11, 2011
- Nuclear engineer: NRC now says reactors and containments have breached and released plutonium off-site -- "Much worse" than if from spent fuel pools (VIDEO) August 22, 2011
- Report: Nuclear fuel fragments found over a mile away were "ejected from the reactor cores in those explosions" not spent fuel pools, according to NRC (VIDEO) August 18, 2011
- NYTimes: Broken pieces of nuclear fuel rods found outside Fukushima Reactor No. 2, says nuke executive -- Covered up by bulldozers April 7, 2011
- NYTimes on "Ejection of Nuclear Material": Confidential US doc suggests pieces of fuel blown up to a mile away -- Some between two units bulldozed over April 6, 2011
Published: March 5th, 2012 at 10:58 am ET