April 6th, 2011 – Evaluate potential contamination of waters near Alaska from Japan, Enformable, Jan. 12, 2012:
From: LaVera, Ronald
Sent: Wednesday, April 06, 2011 7:03 AM
To: Raione, Richard L
Cc: Roach, Edward
Subject: Analysis support for Pacific-Alaskan water
I spoke with Ed Roach this morning about possible assistance should you all be asked to evaluate potential contamination of waters near Alaska resulting from Pacific current transport of material from the Japan. The best person in CHPB for providing this type of assistance is Jean-Claude Dehmel. Unfortunately, he is doing an audit of AREVA over the next couple of days. so I was not able to talk to him this morning.
Ed did suggest that you contact Dr. Stephen Schaffer who works for Stephanie Bush-Goddard in Research. Prior to transferring to Research. Dr. Schaffer worked in the effluents portion of CHPB, so I believe that he would be familiar with the type of support that you seek.
You may want to contact Dr. Schaffer earlier, rather than later to see if any baseline sampling needs to be done, prior to the projected plume arrival.
Since some of the sample target values are pretty low and may not be routinely performed, collection of baseline samples may aid in the evaluation of data scatter.
Please let me know if there is anything else we can do to assist your efforts.
See hard copy of email here
Published: January 11th, 2012 at 9:27 am ET
- Congress: Radiation might be detected in U.S. waters — “Could remain a valid concern for years” — Potential for corridor of “highly contaminated” water traveling away from Japan April 8, 2012
- Japan Gov’t Study: Fukushima contamination in ocean reached Alaska in under a month (MAP) April 4, 2012
- U.S. Seafood Provider Testing for Fukushima Contamination: “Growing concern for potential radiation affecting the nation’s seafood” — ‘Trace’ amounts may have been present in ‘rare’ cases May 3, 2012
- NRC email 10 hours after quake: “We all need to say a prayer” — “They are struggling to shut down the plant” in Fukushima November 16, 2011
- CBC Headline: Radiation from Fukushima arrives on Alaska coast — University scientists concerned — “Is the food supply safe?… I don’t think anyone can really answer that” November 3, 2013